'93 CBR 600 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by JNSRacing, Jun 8, 2012.

1. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

Trailer Update

Put new wheels and tires on the trailer today - replaced the 3-ply tires with taller 6-ply high-speed rated tires.
    Also installed a speed-jack on the trailer's tongue, mounted a spare tire rig, and picked up a few 5 gallon gas cans for race-track fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My K&N filter cleaning kit, red striping tape for the F3 rear rim, and my Alpinestars back and chest protector vest should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

2. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Use the F3 rear wheel.

Stickboy for your Bridgestones.

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Kenny may have retired from racing to paint his living room dozens of times over, but he knows a lot about the f2/3 set up (he and the others helped me a lot while i was running V7).

Even if you're not in the southeast Stickboy can ship you tires (i dont believe he even charged me shipping on the last front i bought from him in the off season).

Heres the deal with the rear wheel.
    Both the F2 and F3 rear wheels will use the 160/165 tire. The F3 rear wheel just makes better use of the tire.
    With the f2 rear you will get a very slight ballooning of the tire on the wheel. You'll run out of front tire edge before you get to the last bits of rear tire edge. Its about 1/8-1/4" of tire each side you're not using.
    The F3 rear spreads the tire out nicely so you can use all of the tire (it makes a difference, trust me).

You were also looking at running the F3 wheel so you could run the 180. This puts you in the same situation as the F2 wheel. You really need an F4i or 600rr wheel to run a 180 to the full use of the tire.
    on the flip side, its been done before (i did it last year, dyle on here likes running the 180, so it wont kill you, just not a recommended practice) You talk about trying to save weight, the 165 slick is a much more nimble tire than the 180. If im not mistaken, the F2 and F3 rear wheels weigh pretty close to the same as well.

I've got a 165 slick take off sitting in the garage (got probably a track day or two left in it) send me the shipping and its yours...

WERA only allows straight water, or water & Water Wetter in your cooling system. Some trackday orgs allow engine ice, some do not.

Save yourself the headache and buy these
    http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=109
    to run your front end and rear axle safety wire through. saves from having to cut and rewire when you get tires swapped.

4. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Don't buy Glidden paint....

5. JNSRacing

I'll definitely take you up on that, I'll send you a PM on Monday.

Thanks for all the info, by the way, and, yes...I'm already looking into R-Clips/spring clips, it'll save me some serious time!

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

And KMC's Ohlins will make your bike safer.Those things are hard to find now,trust me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

there's the guy you want to buy parts from.king kenny know's his f2/f3(has a ware house full of parts).i bet if you sell a couple of parts you could have your whole house painted.go buy a f2/f3 & quit fn around.i'll sell you mine

8. JNSRacing

Sharky NRK and ecd2004, as promised, I picked up some aluminum this weekend for fashioning some more exhaust hangers, but I did fail, in that I only ended up with enough time to make 1 :( .
    The good news is, I improved the design, and created a new template from the new piece - the item that was on my bike weighed 6oz, and this one weighs 5.8oz with hardware.
    Anyway, Sharky, you get the first one, if you still want it, and I'll get another one made for ecd2004 ASAP, it'll go for $30 with mounting hardware, plus shipping - if you're still interested, PM me your City, State, zip, and I'll get you shipping estimates.
    Of course, the hardware utilizes nuts with nylon inserts, to resist vibration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I see in one of your pics , you are from Sedgwick county KS. Wichita maybe? Bring that F2 to Heartland Park for a trackday and look me up.
    I have a F2/F3 thats pretty well set up and you can pick my brain and I can give you a few pointers. Mine does't look as good as yours.
    I have number 80 on white F2, HAZE on the back of my leathers.
    Most of the time we are in garage 13 or 14 with the grill going during lunch.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  10. JNSRacing

Sounds great! Are you going to be at the MCRA event in early July, at HPT?
    I'll be there for the 6th - 8th, then back to HPT in late August for Jason Pridmore's school.
    Oh, and, yes, I am in Wichita.
    How many guys do you share the paddock garage with? If I can spare the dough, and you've got any space to spare, I'd love to go in with you on that, to have access to some plug-ins (don't have a good generator yet), and stay out of the sun a little bit!

Merriam, KS...I was trying to think of why that "rang a bell", and then I remembered, a girl I knew, her name was Lisa, was murdered in Merriam a while back, in a murder-suicide that happened in an apartment in Merriam - did you hear about that incident?

11. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

jns whay don't you ask guy's like KMC,JT,Kjohnson or Duck on there bike set up's those guy's have won on those bike & all of those guy's have national championship's with those bike's.i'm not sayn that the other guy's dont know there stuff,but those bumb's above are proven winner's/past champion's.just my 2 cent's.

12. JNSRacing

Well, the only questions I have at this point are in this thread and others...I assume all the guys you are speaking of can see them!! I've gotten some feedback from KMS and Kjohnson already, I'm not sure about the King Kenny you mentioned earlier - for me, that would be Kenny Roberts, and I doubt he's a member here!! (plus, he never raced F2s!)
    Anyway, I don't know any of you guys yet, much less know anyone's history, that's why the threads, to get feedback regarding the questions. Some of the topics, where I've been curious as to what the general opinion is, have been covered, and some have not - you would have to read oll 4 threads, and know what I've gotten in the way of private messages to know what the response has been all together, nonetheless, thanks for pointing me to some of the guys on here who know the bike I'm prepping!!

13. JNSRacing

The red rim tape for the new F3 rim, air filter cleaning kit, and SMX-Bionic 2 chest/back protector vest arrived yesterday - I'll get the rim tape applied tomorrow or Saturday.

The vest fits perfectly, and also has some kidney protector panels connected to the back, which wrap around when you strap the vest on. I have not yet tried on my leathers with the vest underneath, but there shouldn't be a problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purchased and on the way now, are a race header, Fox Twin-Clicker shock with recently replaced oil and nitrogen, spare cush drive and sprocket carrier for extra rim, and race bodywork for the bike - many thanks to Twissta for the amazing hook-up on these items!!

14. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

That's me :)

15. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

there you go King Kenny aka Kjohnson(he know's his f2/f3's)past champ/national champ
    KMC not kms past champ/national champ
    Duck62 past champ/national champ

16. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

i have read you're book on your bike build.shaking my head & sayn just go get one already built & save the coin for the track days.but you know best it's your $$$$$

oh kenny love's gildden paint too

17. JNSRacing

We've kinda covered that already!

18. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I'm a glutton for punishment.I've always wanted to paint the kitchen twice and the living room three times.I just don't have enough to do.

19. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I don't remember any murder here in Merriam.
    Yep -I'll be at the MCRA races July 7th and 8th. Sorry, our garage is always full. Maybe you can strech an extension cord. Had a good time at the MCRA races last year. Come look me up.
    Here is a local forums that all the racers and squids are on.

http://www.kcsportbike.com/forum/

20. JNSRacing

I wish I could forget.
    It was a nasty affair, and a very young and beautiful girl, got taken out by a psycho nutjob that couldn't manage his personal issues.

I'll keep an eye out for you! I'll be checking into my hotel Friday afternoon, are you camping at the track?