1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 cam timing

Discussion in 'Tech' started by goodmatt78, Mar 22, 2012.

1. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

How much difference does advancing the intake and exhaust 1 deg make (maintain same overlap)? I have been running 106IN 104EX (which seems pretty common), but I have plenty of room to go 105/105. PTV would still be .035". Just curious....thanks.

Bike 06 750 SS build

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Closing the intake earlier helps low end (somewhat at the expense of top end) BUT advancing the exhaust the same amount works toward restoring some top end....so the engine will have better lower end with almost the same top end.
    For me it boils down to where you are going to use the bike most often.
    If you run daytona or some track with mondo top end stretch out then think about going backward on the intake and forward on the exhaust and conversely if you run little taledega only, run both cams as far forward as the valve pockets will allow.
    There is also a school of thought that uses reduced overlap to build torque and in that case you would advance the intake and retard the exhaust.
    I have tested one that way and it makes tractor like low and mid range with good upper mid range but just average top end with a sort of weird flat exhaust note.

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

To reduce overlap isn't it the other way around? Also, is 1 degree a notable change?

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

matt your numbers are fine. NO you wont notice 1deg..probably not even on the dyno even..if its working leave it :) :beer: