1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600RR Engine mounting boss cracked

Discussion in 'Tech' started by r_mutt, Dec 28, 2006.

1. r_mutt

r_mutt cookie puss

i've just bought a salvaged 06 600RR to turn into a track bike and after taking off the bodywork, i found that on the left-side of the engine attached to the block, there is a mount to attach it to the frame which is broken. this is also the usual spot for mounting a frame slider.

my question is, is this mounting hole on the engine threaded or is it threaded only on the bolt that slides into it to attach on the other side to a nut?

as you can see in the pictures that it's cracked completely through and i have the option of trying to get it welded (which will only work if it's not threaded) or buying a new engine...

what do you guys think? can this be fixed or is my engine fu@ked?

it also looks as if the frame is bent... i got big problems.

thanks for any help-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

FRame bent is fixable...call Kent at GMD.

It doesn't appear that the boos in quesiton ios threaded...you can see that there's a not on the end of that bolt., and the bolt appears to be smooth in the pics, as viewed through the crack.

3. r_mutt

r_mutt cookie puss

bump!

4. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

that mount was not threaded on the 03 frame and I assume it is the same

5. r_mutt

r_mutt cookie puss

thanks very much. i am away from my garage atm and i'm trying to find a welder/mechanic who can get the job done.

now, will the welded mount be a heavily stressed point on the bike or is it's function mainly to hold the engine in place? in other words, will a welded mount be ok to race on or will it always be a weakness on the bike?

thanks-

6. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I would race on it if it were repaired well. Its just a mounting point. The rr has two on the back of the motor I think too.

7. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I will concur that it's not threaded due to the nut on the backside of it. If I remember correctly, it's a 17mm bolt. I would weld it and run it without thinking of it. You still have the right side mount and the huge mount in the rear.