1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Laps???

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jul 14, 2015.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Mongo, why are the Miller round races only 4 laps? The sun's up at 5 AM till 9:30 PM this time of the year. Lots of time in the day. Hard to justify driving 20 hours round trip for an 8 minute race or two. Or, maybe I'm reading the schedule wrong? Hopefully?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Aren't the races set to last about the same amount of time, regardless of track? So a long track would have fewer laps and a short track more, right?

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

What he said, it's based off of mileage, not number of laps

4. Go to Tally instead and you will get 8-10 laps. :up:

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Just because there's sun doesn't mean the track will let you run past the contracted time.

4 laps does seem mighty short though... full course?

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Road America with the "other org." is same. 4 lap sprints, and considering the track is over 4 miles long that's cool.

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Its perimeter (3 mile laps) . I'm not bitching, we have back to back races.

8. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

I do question the 4 laps as well. With a 3 mile lap that seems very short, especially given the front straight that is nearly a third of those 3 miles.

9. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Its a 12.32 mile race, We run 7 lap races on the East and west that equal out to about 15.4 miles so they are a lap short of a normal sprint. BUT with 14 races to get done after 12 PM the 4 laps makes sense as far as the schedule goes. Warm up and cool down laps on a 3 mile course eat up a ton of time.

Make it 5 and people will bitch about not getting enough practice or that they get out too late on Sunday to travel.

Just run more races.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Blame it on those new R1's and their tiny gas tanks! :)

11. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Could always reduce the amount of practice time :)

I would love to run more races but Mongo won't let my bikes into Supersport :/

12. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

I always thought sprint races where around 16 miles.

13. :up:

Always my go-to solution.

Get more bikes.

14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Exactly. CCS sprint races are 16 miles.

15. How many races do they have in one day?

If the races are 3-4 miles longer, then I have to assume there aren't 17-18 races on the schedule (or they start the races before lunch).

I can't see CCS being allowed to race till 7pm.

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

So should they go race with CCS at:
    -Miller(don't they only run the east track?)
    -Road Atl
    -MidOhio
    -Pitt Race
    etc???

Oh wait:D

Ride safe,
    AAron

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Plus, because of the extra track length, you would be wasting that much more time on sighting and cool down laps because of all of the dumbasses that want to go 8 mph. Hit the road, dipshits!

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Just tell him you're really slow and no one behind you will be able to protest. :D

19. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

We've been doing 17-19 a day ALOT in the MW region. At Road America and Blackhawk Farms we have to be shut down by 6pm. Hell I think we've done 20 once at Blackhawk.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have to get everything in by 5pm.

I don't actually go by miles although that is a factor but I lean more towards laptimes and how long it takes to get in 3-4 races an hour along with worrying about giving people enough practice and as always factoring in 30 minutes or so for problems throughout the afternoon.

I know a number of orgs do one round of practice in the morning and then go racing even before lunch. I could do that and do more racing laps easily enough but that is just something that goes against every gut feeling I have about what to give our customers. Not necessarily logical but it's how I feel so it's what I go with.