1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3d printer

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Feb 1, 2018.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ok. Already using fusion 360 to model some simple parts. I am making a filament roll holder that will sit on top of my printer and feed straight down. This has been pretty fun so far.

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. backcountryme

So I designed, modeled, and printed this spool holder for my printer. I’m having fun learning to model stuff.

Attached Files:

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What's to stop you from 3d printing parts to make another 3d printer or 50??? BOOM!

backcountryme and R Acree like this.
  4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Boom? That's like the first thing they say you should do if you have a prusa printer. Print the parts that are already 3D printed. Ofcourse you might have a hard time printing the stepper motors, electronic board and various other parts that a printer consists of

backcountryme likes this.
  5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

That's the RepRap Challenge: build a printer that CAN print those things, and TRULY reproduce itself...

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am not sure what carbon fiber filament you are talking about but I just printed a bunch of parts on the MarkForged printer which actually lays a long strand of carbon fiber in between the layers and the part is amazingly rigid.

7. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

My Prusa Mk3 has arrived, busting out some prints for airsoft stuff with Raptor PLA. It's pretty solid stuff

8. backcountryme

From what I have read it is kinda brittle. Might want to look into abs

slimjim00 likes this.
  9. backcountryme

The only 3d printed parts on my printer are the linear bearings for the z axis.

10. slimjim00

The Raptor PLA is a step up from regular PLA, kind of a high temp blend that you can also throw in the oven after a print for even better layer adhesion. So far with testing it flexes much better than regular PLA or ABS and does "ok" at taking impacts (in my case .32 gram airsoft bbs at 320 fps)

We have a spool of nylon on the way to do a run of some one off motorcycle parts

11. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have found that PETG is a great filament when you need something strong. It flexes more than PLA or ABS, but is not brittle. Much less warp than ABS (closer to PLA), but can take heat in use without warping. One of the best materials for layer adhesion. The kockoff PRUSAs barely get hot enough without an extruder upgrade, but they can get it done. Extrusion temp is 235-255c

I want to build an upgraded printer with a large bed, heated build chamber, and dual extruders. On my to-do list.

backcountryme and slimjim00 like this.
  12. slimjim00

I liked PETG that I've ran in the past but didn't like the shiny finish and don't really want to paint/post process my stuff if I can help it. Have you found any PETG filaments that print a nice matte color?

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's a joke Poindexter

Gino230 likes this.
  14. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

How big is the print fields on these models? I'm looking for something that can do 12 or 16 square. I'm limited to 8 square with the girls printer at the school.

15. backcountryme

Mine is about 8 square.

16. slimjim00

The Prusa Mk3 is about 25 x 21 x 21 cm or 9,84 x 8,3 x 8,3 in

Pulled the above from their website

17. backcountryme

I’m printing a raspberry pi case that looks like an old school NES. I’m also working on a camera rig for my GoPro and 3 axis gimbal.

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

how strong is the stuff you make on these? Could you make a reverse shift linkage for a Grom, for example?

BigBird likes this.
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

My printer can do 300mm x 300mm x 400mm. Ft-5.

20. slimjim00

You could, but I wouldn't use it for much more than testing fitment before milling a part out of metal.

Right now my younger brother and I have made a chain guide system for his TTR110, mag pouch inserts for a plate carrier (like the Kydex inserts) picatinny rail adapters for keymod rail systems, and some other little trinkets. Nylon filament should be here Sunday for us to start testing