2nd SV650 Spring/Suspension Setup

Discussion in 'Tech' started by .RJ, Aug 13, 2009.

1. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Couldnt find quite what I was looking for in the archives so new thread...

I weigh in at ~185 without gear now. Bike is an '07 SV, was originally set up for a 165 lb rider. Still has the same .925/.95 springs in the forks with AK-20 kit, and Penske double with 475 lb spring - thats what the traxxion receipt says but I could not find any markings on the spring :confused: Rear shock length at 13-3/4" (~350mm) eye to eye as best I can measure, fork tops 10mm above triple clamp. Previous owner used Michelin, I am using Pirellis.

The bike has been great, but first weekend out I saw some funny wear on the rear tire and it was getting worked pretty hard (getting greasy coming out of turns) so after I got home I set the static sag - I ended up taking some preload out of the front forks and adding a few turns of preload and compression in the rear. I want to say sag was around 30mm front and rear. Since then the SV has felt better, tire wear is good although it felt like it needed a little more rebound damping - the bigger hangup (for me) feels real 'heavy' to turn, much slower steering than my 1st gen was, although the 1st gen had an unusually heavy shock spring.

Should I change the shock spring? Ride it different? There is a ton of preload already on the spring - The front end feels great, much more planted than my 1st gen ever was on the brakes and into the turn. Normally I'd add a little rear ride height but from what I've read here ~340mm is the recommended shock length. I also dont want to create new problems :D I do that enough already.

2. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

I'm 180lbs and am running a .90 on one side and a .95 on the other which equals about a .92.5 spring so what your running up front should be fine. As for turn in, your front forks should be somewhere around 1/2" to 3/4" above your triple. Try playing around with your front end ride height to get the turn in feel you want. As for the rear, I'm not to sure but it sounds like your on the right track.

3. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The front sounds good here too... I am at 200 # and run 0.950 kg/mm on both forks...

On the rear I think you are a little on the soft side, but not that far off... I run a 525 lbs/inch

I think a 500 lbs/inch spring with less preload would be a little better... You can add preload to the rear, but you can never stiffen the spring...

With the Penske double you can lenghten the shock some... I understand raising the rear is much better than lowering the front...

30mm sag is a little stiff... How is the track surface?

Our tracks are vey bumpy... I run about 40mm/38mm sag.

Luis

4. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Tracks here are fairly smooth. I'll call around and see if anyone has a 500lb spring - is the length critical, should I try to match the same as what I have?

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have an extra 500lb spring that came off my SV. I'll let it go cheap. PM me

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

send me $50 and i'll tell you all the #'s to set it up, the right spring size, the correct geometry and the whole boat for pirellis. :D

7. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

PM Sent :rock:

8. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

at your weight i would go with a 525. but that's just me.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

yep.

10. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

In digging through the archives I swear I saw 210-220 lb riders using the 525 - wouldnt that be too much?

I'm going to give the 500 a shot - its cheap - trying to drop weight anyways, I'll see where I end up.

11. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

I'm at 165 and run a 525 its what works best for me
    but each rider is different.also 350 is to long for the shock

12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

it'll work, but wont be ideal. like ricky said, he's 165, and he's using the 525. i'm 190, and the 550 works best for me.

13. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Hmm... thanks :) Time to order a couple of more springs to bring to the track.

14. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

The 500# doesn't sound too far off the mark. I'm 170ish (without leathers) and I took my double clicker over to Traxxion, they ended up recommending the 475# for me, as opposed to an earlier recommendation (by them too) of a 500#. I kinda like'em a little softer anyway though...:up:

Although I don't really know what the hell I'm doing. You just got some smokin' advice from fast SV guys.

Don't mean to threadjack,( actually, yes, I do.) but what is the recommended length of this shock?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  15. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

shock length??? What tires do you run??

16. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I'm not sure.:eek: This bike hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet. I have 5" f3 wheel in back, running `07 gsxr 600 forks. I ran Dunlops most of my career, but would like to try something new. I will be running slicks. Either Pirelli or Bridgestone.

17. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Say I wanted to try BT-003's... would I need to change anything?

18. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Are you using a stock rear rim? If so, there is no 160 BT003 available.

19. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

BT003RS

20. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member