2500 HD

Discussion in 'General' started by tanks95, Sep 20, 2013.

1. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

Looking to upgrade my 1500 Silverado. I want to pick up a nice used 2500 GMC or Chevy; gas. My 1500 needs a little help with the trailer, as i put more and more "stuff" inside.

I dont want anything newer than 2008 or 2009, you guys know of any issues with the 2500's?

William

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Picked up an `08 2500 Duramax a few weeks back. With 19k showing on the clock the only issue is a vibrating under-dash panel that is driving me crazier!

Be aware that the `07.5 and later have a LOT more emissions stough than the earlier Duramax.

3. Mine is a 2011 or 2012, but no issues. It is comfortable, looks good, goes fast and pulls shit. That is about all you can ask for. :D

4. tanks95

good stuff

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

6. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

I thought he said gas?

7. tanks95

i did, it seems like they have all models represented on that forum.

8. Shit. I didnt see the "gas" part. Disregard my last post.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Likewise.

Although, stepping up to '3/4' ton in Texas, the gas motor is the option, not the diesel...

:D

10. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I have a 2500 and 3500 Chevy. Love them both. Diesel. The last dually I had with a gas engine got 10 MPG empty...... That was years ago.... not going back!

11. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Nix the gasser, and go with a Diesel..:Poke: :D

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Why would you even think of the gas?

13. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Here we go again:rolleyes:
    Cheers, Lee S.

14. tanks95

Maybe ignorance;I've never owned a diesel?

15. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Do yourself a favor. Take time to research the pros and cons. Lots of info already on the internet. Once I started pulling more than 8,000 pounds regularly, I switched to a diesel. If you are pulling a 6,000 pound trailer once per month, go with a gas. If you are pulling more than 8,000 pounds more than once a week, you will enjoy a diesel lots more.... All in what you want. Gas is cheaper than diesel but a diesel loves pulling weight... I would kill for a factory Chevrolet 4x4 2500 Surburban with a 6.6 Duramax w/ Allison......

16. tanks95

yea, thats what i have been doing doe a while (few months). I chose gas because of exactly what you said, its mostly a once a month pull, and the rest is normal light duty homeowner truck stuff. If it wasn't for the monthly trips during the season through the sand hills and GA mountains, i would not even go this direction. Well also, i would like to have the extra power around for......

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'm looking forward to the 1/2 ton diesels. RAM about to come out, and I'd expect sales would do well, therefore GM & Ford would follow fairly quickly, although Ford may take a little longer since they'd need to figure how to enter the diesel market alongside their Ecoboost which has sold well. Titan looks to be following RAM, which would believe Tundra wouldn't be far behind.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  18. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I have an '03 chevy 2500HD with the diesel. It has 126k on the clock, I bought it w/65k a few years ago. It has been a great truck, no problems so far. Diesel 18-21 mpgs, gas 10-12 mpgs. I've had both, they're both good engines.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have the 02 gmc 2500HD diesel. The first duramax, which I think they say to stay away from, because of the injectors. Anyway, about 4-6 weeks after buying it, she started to smoke because of the injectors. I bought reconditioned bosch injectors for $1600-1800 with glow plugs. That was 2 years ago and still love the truck. I get 18-19mpg driving back/forth to work 45 miles each way and mostly freeway. I get 10-12 towing a 26 ft bumper pull toy hauler.

For me, this is a much better truck, then the Ford F250 7.3L diesel.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

tanks95, look around. I have no need for 4-wheel-drive nor a crew cab so I was looking for a 3/4 ton extended cab RWD diesel. They are rare as hen's teeth but when I found this `08 with HD Tow Pkg, LT2 and some other assorted doo-dads, it only had 18k on the odometer and they came down quite a bit to $30k OTD.