1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

The past few years it seems in nearly all levels of high quality 2-wheel racing the game has turned into more of a cat and mouse for 90% of the duration with the leaders breaking away, then following the "lets just keep our powder dry and work together" mantra, then with 2-3 laps remaining, the general consensus is that the gloves come off and actual racing begins.

I think JH2 and RE54's idea's of when to actually transition from maintenance mode to attack mode is what caught Ritchie out - he was likely thinking another 2-3 laps and Herrin wanted to get the party started earlier and threw it up the inside.

Sucks for Ritchie and he was my pick to win it but even knowing Herrin has never been a fav of mine, I can't really blame him either as he had room and an experienced guy like Ritchie should have been able to react a little more proactively to avoid the crash.

rapidzrx, gapman789 and 27 like this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It relates to the fact that at Daytona it's about the draft and pit stops and how it sets up the finish. There's really no other race track in the US where you can catch the leader if he has a 7 second or so lead. They chased Cam down last year right?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

If JH makes this exact same pass at every race for the rest of the season and it results in a front runner crashing out of every race, is he entitled to do that?

If you are going up the inside of someone and your trajectory is such that the rider in front must take evasive action to avoid a collision, you need to give the rider in front enough time to react. JH came from so far back that RE was not able to tell he was there till the last 1/2 a second.

RE managed to make an adjustment based on the assumption that JH's trajectory would be similar to his and as such tried to give him a bit of room, but it wasn't enough given the intersecting line that JH was on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

upload_2023-3-14_12-11-17.jpeg

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't see much if any movement from the bike, just pulling his knee up and arm in. I was really surprised too, with the way they'd both been going at it I though he'd pick it up, run wide, tuck back in and go back at it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That wasn't remotely a real penalty for dangerous riding though.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Simple, the rules are written that way.

8. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I was watching the laps as they were passing each other back n forth. Then I noticed both of them turn around in the infield to check if there was a freight train coming. At that point, Ritchie should have been thinking it's time to let JH do all the work up front. Unfortunately, either he didn't play out that scenario in his strategy or he got distracted with trying to beat Herrin outright and that didn't work out too well.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I’m not a Herrin hater but I’m surprised how many people here are defending that move, especially considering how many laps were left.

AJ, ToofPic, Dragginass and 5 others like this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would like to hear from those people if every round of their local club race someone put a pass like that on them.

23103a, AJ and 27 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why do you guys keep going on about every round? Aren't you secure enough in your assessment of this single pass to let it stand on it's own rather than try and ramp it up somehow?

12. cosp600rr

cosp600rr Well-Known Member

RE lifted the bike this much but it wasn't enough given their different trajectories. He would have had to lift and change his direction of travel to avoid the collision and that's a lot to do in the amount of time he had to do it in. It was an extremely late pass attempt.

Attached Files:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're right, it is up higher which makes sense. More I look at it the more he did have the option to stand the bike up - and yes he did have enough time in my opinion to do so. At speed it also seemed like he thought Josh was going by fast enough he'd be through and running wide and RE could slide up the inside, it looked like he tucked his arm/leg, picked it up slightly if at all then dropped it back down.. Also seems like he was slightly outside compared to some other laps although that really is a moot point.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  14. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

:beer:

Attached Files:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

have any of you guys raced before? If I get my front tire in front of you that line is mine and I don’t care if it runs us out to the grass… if someone crams it up inside of me I’ll check up and dive back underneath… it’s racing damn… I don’t remember any of this crybaby shit when the greats are really scraping it out…

yeah my lawn get off I’ll see myself out

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

whole lot more to making a good raceworthy pass than just "if i get my front tire in front of you that line is mine..." .
    lots of things to consider. i'm not defending or accusing the JH2 move, just sayin.

17. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I think we should all just calm down about this pass.

Hey! I got an idea...let's ask the superbike genius what he thinks about the whole JH-RE pass. I bet he will be fair and truthful :D

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Come on man…….don’t leave so soon again! You help keep it interesting :D Besides, you haven’t prematurely laid any members to rest yet:p

27 likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Melka you know what I meant and we’ve actually raced I’m pretty sure…. But back when we had some special 205H and your shitty 220c it was fun…

for the record I almost never passed anyone inside… I always went the long way round the outside…. Damn late brakers can have those inside passes…

I am also of the vantage point of taking out only a very very few good friends in all my decades of racing, which I am proud of…

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you know I was actually surprised none of you asked if I had walked on…. You’re all slacking :crackup:it’s funny until it’s true… man, now I don’t remember which of those old chaps are gone and which ones I prematurely suggested might be…

britx303 likes this.