1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015+ R1 Upper Shock Mount

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Badger911GT3, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I'm reinstalling the TTX from my 2015 R1, and I noticed that when I tighten the upper mount bolt, it's grabbing onto the shock, preventing it from rotating freely.

The TTX seems to have a fixed upper mount. It's not a heim joint like on other bikes. The mount on bike's frame has a little bushing in the left-hand side that sticks out about 1mm when I tighten the bolt down. It's this bushing that is grabbing the upper shock mount. You can even see the mark it left on the shock mount, the little ring mark.

What am I missing here? I feel like just sanding down this bushing about 1mm so it doesn't stick out and grab the shock. But that can't be the right solution here. What am I doing wrong? Shocks need to be able to freely rotate, if only a few degrees.

Attached Files:

2. Chako

Chako Well-Known Member

the top of the shock is a heim joint, its just very stiff.
    dont worry about it.
    mount it up and grab the shock body and resevoir and you will see it moves.

3. Badger911GT3

Thanks, Chako. I actually already mounted the shock up once. That's when I started thinking there's a problem. I tightened the top bolt down, and then had a hard time rotating the shock to get the lower mount in place. As soon as I loosen the upper mount bolt, the shock rotates freely. I really don't think the upper mount joint should be this stiff. I'll look into what I can do about it.

4. Badger911GT3

I called Ohlins, and they said it's ok if the shock is tight at the top and doesn't rotate freely. So I guess I'll just roll with it as-is.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What are you torqueing that upper bolt to?

6. Badger911GT3

The service manual says 29 ft lbs.