2012 MGP

Discussion in 'General' started by GoldStarRon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

2. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I was thinking about it and thought I had all the parts to build a great frankenbike, I believe it was Junior Classic, but then I realized my bike was 2 years too young. Even had my pit lined up, an old hippy who got me into racing.

3. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

after 90 years, Looks like the 2012 just might be the last real MGP.. Massive changes.
    Just got an email from the MMCC about the proposed changes which will eliminate Newcomers.

4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Wait! What? Why?

I need to race it. Just not ready yet.

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I read about the changes

interesting to say the least

go back over this year and do it while you still can!

also, it does not really eliminate newcomers, it just makes them invite only from what I understood

6. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

MANX GRAND PRIX FESTIVAL – 2013 & THE WAY FORWARD

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

On 31st March 2010 the Manx Motor Cycle Club (MMCC) entered into a partnership agreement with the Isle of Man Government’s Department of Tourism and Leisure to organise the running of the Manx Grand Prix Motorcycle Races. The Government’s responsibilities were subsequently transferred to the Department of Economic Development (DED).

The MMCC were initially encouraged by the promotion of the races as part of a range of motorcycle activities named by the DED as “the Manx Grand Prix Festival”. These included the Manx Two Day Trial, Manx Classic Trial and the VMCC Manx Rally and Jurby Day.

On 7th September 2011, immediately after the races, an article appeared in Motor Cycle News entitled “Classics the way forward for the Manx Grand Prix”. The article cited rumours “that nostalgia offered the way forward for the Manx, traditionally the training ground for the TT and that racing for modern bikes may be coming to an end”. The DED’s Chief Executive Colin Kniveton later admitted to the MMCC that he gave his views to Motor Cycle News and that he was their likely source.

In November 2011, with minimal notice to the MMCC, the DED issued a press release to the effect that there was to be a review of the Manx Grand Prix Festival and its associated costs. In January 2012, despite assurances that the MMCC would be permitted to comment on its content, DED initiated an online survey.

In March 2012, following a hurried series of meetings with focus groups and the results of the online survey, DED released the findings of their review. The MMCC did not recognise many of the results of this review, including the emphasis of an alternative “TT brand”, the significance of the “Classic” element or there being no requirement to promote the event.

In March 2012 a meeting was held between the MMCC and DED during which the DED outlined a number of proposals concerning the Manx Grand Prix Festival (see below). The MMCC expressed its reservations, particularly concerning the Saturday races on a date traditionally occupied by the Manx Two Day Trial and the over-emphasis on the Classic races. The MMCC explained that the bulk of the entries were from younger riders on modern machines, whilst the Classics were in long term decline.

In April 2012, after consideration by the full Committee of the MMCC, a further meeting was held between its representatives and the DED. At that meeting the MMCC noted the concerns about the shortening of the event and put forward an alternative race programme (see below) which would involve the meeting commencing with practice on a Friday evening and ending (as proposed by DED) ten days later on the Bank Holiday Monday.

Later in April a meeting was held between Colin Kniveton and the President and Chairman of the MMCC. They expressed their displeasure in the content of the Motor Cycle News article of 25 April and its premature timing. Colin Kniveton informed the MMCC that a meeting had been held by the political members of DED the previous week (before publication of his Motor Cycle News interview). He reported that they had resolved to gauge public reaction to the DED’s suggested race programme by issuing a further press release.

The MMCC wish it to be made known that it remains fully committed to the Manx Grand Prix and a race format which accommodates both modern and Classic races. We have understood and acknowledged the DED’s desire to shorten the event and achieve a reduction in the overall cost of the Festival to Government which the MMCC proposal covers.

DED Proposed 2013 Event Programme (as per media release 1.5.12)

Code:
    Day 	         		Morning 		Afternoon 	         		Evening
    Saturday	         	Classic Trial	              Classic Trial         		Practice 
    Sunday             		Classic Trial	              Classic Trial         	
    Monday 						         			Practice 
    Tuesday 						         			Practice
    Wednesday 					         				Practice
    Thursday 					         				Practice 
    Friday 	         		 		  	 Practice			Lightweight Clubman’s  TT
    Saturday 		350cc Classic  Race	 Clubman’s Supersport TT			
    Sunday 	         		Festival of Jurby    	 Festival of Jurby 
    Monday 	         	500cc Classic Race	 Classic Superbike Race	   

MMCC Proposed 2013 Event Programme
    Day 	         		Morning 		Afternoon 	         		Evening
    Friday						         				Practice  
    Saturday	         	Off Road Event	              Off Road Event 	         		Practice  
    Sunday             		Off Road Event	              Off Road Event 	
    Monday 						         			Practice 
    Tuesday 						         			Practice
    Wednesday 					         				Practice 
    Thursday 					         				Practice 
    Friday 	         		Newcomers   		  250/350 Classic TT 		
    Saturday 					  SuperTwin/Lwt MGP 									  	 	  Junior MGP
    Sunday 	         		Festival of Jurby    	  Festival of Jurby 
    Monday 	         	Classic Superbike TT	  Senior MGP
                                               /500cc Classic TT
    Tuesday	         	Reserve day in event of bad weather

7. SVbadguy

http://www.change.org/petitions/isl...ce=share_petition&utm_term=share_button_modal

And for anyone who has never been but wants to. Tell them why. Probably because there is zero promotion of the event in the United States and you weren't even aware it existed. I think Ron has done the most for the promotion of it in the US.

Also the MMMC strongly urges people to respond to the following two email addresses giving any feedback and suggestions you feel are appropriate before a final decision is reached.

MMMC [email protected]
    Dept of Economic Development [email protected]

8. GoldStarRon

Hi Guys...! Please fill out that Petition, and please send e-mail if you are so inclined...

The more mail that the DED gets... well the better chance of saving the Newcomers and Lightweight races....

The MMCC is treading lightly as there is a hint they will get booted out, if they protest tooooooo much... which is another reason why they need everyone's support...

It would be a tragedy if the MGP died after this year.... sigh...

Ron

9. GoldStarRon

HI Guys... there has been a LOT going on in the last couple of days... looks like the DED got severely chastised for not working in harmony with the MMCC. And that the DED is ignoring facts... The story has it that some DED members are distancing themselves from the main guy... all good. Plus some of the TT Riders have been rumored to be together against the DED proposals...

So, we all hope that some new dialogue happens in the next day or two.. and that all the races get saved... However it is likely that the event will get shortened to 10 days... all workable...

Ron

10. GoldStarRon

A quick update... although I have not seen any official word... the Ministry folks have publicly chastised the D.E.D. amd suggested that any proposed changes be put off for at least two years..! This is good.. And here is a You Tube song... (she is cute too..)..

Cheers..!!

Ron - Long live the TT and the MGP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0BASj6XGtc

11. SVbadguy

Over 250 riders have applied to enter the 2012 Manx Grand Prix Races - an increase of 5% when compared to the previous year. A total of 59 Newcomers will be making their debut on the Mountain Circuit, 55 in the Newcomers Race (Saturday 25th August) and another 4 in the Classic Races later in the week. All the main Manx Grand Prix classes (Senior, Junior, Lightweight and Super Twin) are over-subscribed with 90 entries plus reserves. The Classic Races (including Post Classic) show only a small decline when compared to 2011 and are on par with the number received in 2010.

:clap:

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Awesome!!

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

with the amount they charge in entry fees for the Manx I dont see how they arent making money

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on the expenses. Can't be cheap to cover shutting down that many streets and everything else involved in a course that long.

15. GoldStarRon

On expenses... keep in mind it is the Government that (claims) to lose money, based on all the marketing expenses. The IOM makes a ton of cash overall... One concern is that some of the small businesses need the MGP to survive. The IOM does not have much industry, and it is the Touirism that mostly sustains the Island today...

OK, so for now, things appear to be on hold as far as changes go... and the DED and the MMCC have had talks.. all good...

That said, it ain't over yet..!!

Oh and it appears that a particular chap in the DED has been offended by some remarks... I say... "Pluck Him"..!! heh...

Cheers.!!

Ron - Long live the TT and MGP..!! :D

16. GoldStarRon

6 weeks until the Manx..!

17. GoldStarRon

18. GoldStarRon

Ah yes, the window for the MGP is near... and as usual, what do racers do..? They wait until the last minute to get their bikes ready...!!!

So, I just got an e-mail from a racer... he needs some parts from here in the states... talk about last minute..!! So of course I will make sure he gets them..!!

I see this guy has been racing the TT Course since '98... Maybe this will be his year at the Manx..!!

If you have never been... they you have NO IDEA how much fun the IOM can be..!!

Cheers..!!!

Ron - Long live the TT and MGP..!!

19. GoldStarRon

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  20. GoldStarRon

OK Guys...!! The Start Lists are out.... those that are racing know their number.... less than 30 days until first practice..!!!!

And I have my airline tickets all done... and I show up on the IOM on the mid day sailing... in plenty of time for first practice..!!!

And if any of you need an extra hand.. let me know... I will bring my pit suit in case I am needed...

Be there... or you miss out...

Cheers..!!

Ron :D