1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 gsxr 750 smoking?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by puckwhore, Jun 20, 2010.

1. puckwhore

puckwhore Well-Known Member

Yesterday I went for a short ride. The bike was running perfect. Never had any issues with it. Fuel got low, stopped at a local pump, topped it off. No more than 150 yds down the road it starts missing, smoking like crazy and dies. Finally got it started back and limped it back to where I picked it up with the trailer. No codes came up. Any ideas?

Bike has never been raced, wheelied, etc with less than 8k on the clock.

TIA

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you used the wrong nozzel, unless you have one of those european versions that take diesel fuel.

Seriously, check the fuel.

3. puckwhore

Initially thought that but diesel only goes in the truck.:up:

Didn't get a chance to pull the tank last night, hope its only a tank full or water and some fouled plugs!

4. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

Diesel...........look at gas receipt

5. puckwhore

The diesel island is about 20 yds from the gas pumps. Fuel smells like gasoline. Even entertained the idea of the fuel putting diesel into the gasoline tanks...

Gonna pull tank later to see what's in the bottom.

6. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Was it from a BP station? Could have some saltwater in it. Seriously though, a couple of times in my 38 years of riding I've picked up some bad fuel from a gas station and the bike ran like crap. It can happen.

7. puckwhore

Think it was Exxon...maybe. Could have been an independent.

8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

The tanker truck driver can (and sometimes does) push a few gallons of diesel into the super unleaded tank when he's filling the underground tanks.
    There was a case of this happening in Austin several years ago and it drove techs batcrap crazy chasing down mysterious symptoms.
    I myself had my ass kicked by it, the engine would start cold (barely) and run like crap, backfiring out the intake and slowly as it warmed up run a little better, still crappy but better than when cold.
    I had a guy working for me who suggested trying fresh fuel and presto, that cured the symptoms...AFTER days of checking everything under the damm bonnet.

9. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

What color was the smoke?

10. busa4

busa4 Well-Known Member

93 octane can go bad quickly. most likely bad fuel. you can definitely smell the difference between diesel and gas. if it was diesel, i dont think it would even run.

11. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

try some dry gas or empty and refill the tank with new fuel.

12. puckwhore

flushed tank. alot of sediment inside...must have sucked the bottom of the barrel. cheap bastards. fresh fuel and some plugs straightened it out.

Thanks for the advice!