1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Ford E450 funmover, school me

Discussion in 'General' started by tittys04, Sep 30, 2016.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Looking at one of these, I'm wondering who has experience with them and what you guys think... anything I should be watching for, etc. This one has roughly 40k on the odometer, it has the Ford v10 in it.

I sold our 23' toy hauler this summer and am trying to decide on a newer 25'+ hauler or something like one of these older class c's. Any experiences, good or bad, are appreciated.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've never owned that model, out of curiosity how much is it, you can PM if you like?

II think they are a decent brand, but not Top end brand. I did own the F750 SuperC FunMover with the Cat Diesel, one slide out and a 14 foot rear garage. It had an upgraded 12K quiet onan diesel genset. I never got to really use it, other than driving it from Wisconsin with Tyler, as his makeshift ambulance. I kept it for 2 years and fixed minor things that were wrong with it, before selling it to another WERA member. He took it from S. Cal to NJ and I believe didn't have any problems.

I loved that rig and if Tyler would have started racing again, it was what I planned on using. Scott, if you ever decide to sell it, please give me a call and see if I'm in the position to buy it back.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    S Tsotsoros likes this.
  3. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Lawn Dart...paging Lawn Dart to the white courtesy phone

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I had a class c with that motor for couple years. No issues at all. Mileage sucked but hey... It's an RV.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That's the three-valve generation of the Triton engine. Doesn't have some of the issues of the two-valve, earlier engines. Our 2011 Winnebago Access Premier 32' two slide Class C has the samll engine. In the past year we have driven it from Texas to Colorado several times. Last June, we took a 23-day 4k mile trip up the Midwest, to New York State, The East Coast, North Carolina and back to Texas. Averaged 7.5 mpg (calculated) running 60~68mph. Pulling a 26' Aluma Tilt Bed trailer with my Miata on it.Not a single issue with the F-450 chassis or the V-10.
    Put a K&N Cold Air system before our most recent trip to Colorado. Mile increased to 7.9. Just loaded a 5-Star Tunning Tow-Haul 87 program. Curious to see what difference that makes.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

You are incorrect. That engine in the class C is still the 2 valve to this day. Only the Class A's got the 3 valve version.

Make sure that the rubber roof has been taken care of. 10yrs and they can start to get into issues. Look at it closely. An watch weight on the rear axle. If you carry a couple of bike and all the accompanying gear, you may overload the rear axle rating.

panthercity likes this.
  7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Thanks, zertrider, I didn't know it was still the 2 valve.
    Roof remains in good shape.
    Have been to the Cat scales several times. Unloaded. Loaded for a three-week trip, Coach it self and coach with trailer and car. VERY careful about where I place the car on the trailer so as reduce tongue weight and rear axle loading.

8. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

The one I'm looking at is around 23k. I've seen a few now that were in that ball park, so I'm assuming that's a decent starting price, but I haven't really looked into what a good price is for one yet.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reasonable price to me.

10. zertrider

It did get the 5spd in 2006 for the Class c and class A. But no change in the engine for the C.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

The V-10 3 valve didn't come out til '08? thru '10. That comes from my extensive research of buying a used F250/F350 '08-'10 with the V-10.

12. zertrider

In trucks maybe. But I guarantee you that the F53 chassis had the 3 valve V10 in 2006 rated at 362hp and 457ft/lb of torque. And that is a fact that I would put lots of money on in a bet.