1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

200 Ntec on an R6?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by automan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

I just bought an 07 R6 racebike. question is, do the 200 Ntec's work on the R6?

2. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

should....

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Define "work".

4. automan

sorry, recommended, accepted useage, what most run on their R6's. lol

5. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the r6 use a 6" rear rim??? If so, that's what the 200 ntec is recommended for.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Yes.

Might rob some acceleration. Some people think so, some people don't.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

im guessing it may rub on the hugger also. the dunlops grow a bit at speed/heat if i recall correctly.

8. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

5.5"

9. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

depends on what tracks really. tracks with lots of tight turns? no, i'd run the 180; tracks with straights and long sweepers, the tire should be fine. examine your schedule and track maps and go from there.

10. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

the r6 has a 5.5" rim.
    The 200 ntec is recommended for both the 5.5 & 6.0 rim by Dunlop.
    The 200/55 ntec is actually not as wide as the 190/55 GPA but it is a bit taller(0.5"?).
    Some say they are heavier and rob you of a hp or so...I never noticed?
    Corner grip never seems to end though and you can't seem to ever use all the tire.
    Handling seemed unchanged from the 190/55 but maybe my pace isn't fast enough to notice...

People uneducated about dunlop tires will cry about the danger of a 200/55 on a 5.5" rim with no basis in fact and merely on hearsay...don't waste your time with them. I'd assume Dunlop knows more then those bench racers that can only repeat what they've heard. Plus, the issue with tire size vs. rim width is more geared towards other manufacturers, not Dunlop.

11. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure but I believe the 200 has a steeper profile on a 5.5 rim then a 180 would. That would make it turn better

12. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

ah you may be correct. best bet to the OP is to just call dunlop usa, they're pretty friendly ;)

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If need be

[​IMG]

14. triway

triway Member

Will depend on gearing and how close the wheel sits to the swingarm. Saw some fitted last week and all but one were fine. The "one" had the wheel pulled close to the swing arm with different gearing and it wore two grooves in the top of the tyre as it rubbed on the swingarm.

15. Antonisss

Antonisss Active Member

I d say the 190 would be more than enough. Considering that stock is 180, then 190 is the perfect middle, on a relatively "stock" bike, 200 would be an overkill

16. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

200 works great and on many tracks will yield faster lap times due to increased side grip. The 200/55 DOT is identical in size to the only slicks available (195).....yes even on a 600.

17. automan

I am going to try it soon at a trackday, or a race @ Tally, so if it doesn't help, I havn't wasted a practice session. It is real good on the 190 GPA now.

18. D Cantrell

D Cantrell Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  19. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

they don't make a 180

20. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I had the 190/55 D211 on my 1098 and put on a 200/55 at the end of last season. It seemed to turn in easier and has a ton of grip.