1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year old truck is rusting

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah, it's a Dodge. Take a minute and get all the jokes out of your system.

So, 2017 Ram 2500. I was washing it today and I noticed the lower half has tiny little rust spots, they're very very small, but they're there. It's weird though, I cant feel any grittiness, the surface is perfect. At first I thought it was pollen or something else I picked up from the road. I'm not convinced it's rust for sure, but 90% likely.

What are my options? Will that shit buff out? Is this a possible warranty issue?

I love the truck otherwise, it's been great. Plan was to keep it for at least 8 more years.

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Co-worker bought a new ~07 Ram. Bedside rusted out in 4 years. He had a new bed put on it, because he really liked the truck otherwise. 4 years later, it rusted out again. Now he drives a rusty 250k mile truck he still likes.

Moral - either trade it in now, or plan to drive a rusty truck!

3. Scotty87

Fuckin sucks.

I really, really like the truck otherwise. And I just put fucking tires on it.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit rusting in Wisconsin?

JoeR, motoracer1100 and BigBird like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dodge - verb, To avoid.
    :D

Ok...sorry about your truck. How often do you wash it in the winter...road salts kill vehicles up north.
    I take mine thru the car wash every 2 weeks or so in winter. And make sure they have underbody spray.

Also if this I'd not on a steam where crud/salt could collect and it's a painted surface I would absolutely be asking the dealer/dodge wtf. How does a 2yo painted panel that's not scratched rust feom the inside. There should be like at least 4 layers of coating on there, too coat, color coat, prime and e-coat.

And remember Al Bundy drove a dodge. Just sayin....:D

MachineR1 likes this.
  6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

should be under warranty

Phl218 likes this.
  7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have a 15 2500 with 100k miles and no rust issues. During the winter when the salt is heavy I try to go through a car wash with the chassis jets to help it last. Is it just where the paint is chipped and the bare metal rusted?

8. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Not to come across as a joke, but all Dodge trucks seem to rot out quickly. Coincidentally, I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day.

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Search "rail dust"....

At least that sounds like what you are describing. My 2010 Tacoma had it on the plastic fender flares.

justjohn620, ducnut and tropicoz like this.
  10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Sounds like you need an aluminum one where you live.

Mine is 4 years old next month and completely rust free. Shorter winter/ less salt/ less miles while dirty is my guess.

11. Scotty87

Negative. It's on pristine, non scratched surfaces. I take good care of the truck, there's not a scratch or a dent on it. That's what makes it so weird. I have to go to the dealer for some recall shit (big surprise) and I'll bring it up, but I don't have a lot of hope.

12. senate8293

senate8293 Active Member

Can u post a pic it sounds like rail dust if it is it’s very common on the rams it’s fall out from the rotors you can use ironx it will take it right off

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

White? @Bloodhound mentioned rail dust. As a lover of white vehicles I dealt with it for years. It buffs out.

14. Scotty87

Truck is white. I'll snap a pic.

15. Bloodhound

Small, about the size of pinheads?

16. Bloodhound

Mine is silver but when waxing it was really noticeable.

17. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 that has the hood starting to bubble in one area already.

Had a Nissan Titan for 9 years and had no rust other than where a few chips were located and by rust, I mean minimal spot.

How can two trucks / manufacturers be so different?

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Try a clay bar, if it's on the surface it should come right off.

19. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I had small pinpoints of rust on my 10 year old truck last year... clay barred it and they all came off... Took a fair amount of work, but it cleaned up really nicely.

20. Scotty87

Yup.

Trying to post a pic but photobucket sucks balls nowadays.