1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 Honda CBR600 F3 Build

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Miguelito, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

I’m new the the forum. Been around for a couple years lurking and finally getting serious about racing again after settling down from doing road racing and traveling with WRL and Formula drift teams.

The build is actually an Ex-WERA bike as well as another series if I’m not mistaken.

Chassis starts off as a 1995 Frame.

Front forks are supposedly rebuilt but I have no paperwork and haven’t tore into them yet. The rear shock is a Fox Twin Clicker

Engine appears to be refreshed as the valves looks spankin new or refreshed as well as all the other seals and gaskets.

I put on a set of old F3 rims and slicks I had just to get the bike moved around the garage. Still have to get a muffler figured out and the header mounted but I was waiting on the copper crush washers to show up.

A set of CM performance rear sets and a DID chain.

I’ve done some of the HRC mods but would love to source a needle and ecu kit.

hope to get the bike done in time for Cycle Jam is that’s a possibility for newbs that have never ran WERA

IMG_2275.jpeg IMG_2276.jpeg IMG_2278.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    William Schneider likes this.
  2. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Bike pics

Attached Files:

chobes, ToofPic and William Schneider like this.
  3. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Good luck on sourcing some of that HRC stuff you might find it under a rock somewhere. Look and see if FactoryPro has anything still as well as a shift star and spring from them. If Dyna still has them put a Dyna 2000 on and not worry bout ECU. Best bike for V7MW.

Miguelito likes this.
  4. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

This is some good info here.
    I’m going to look into them and shoot dyna an email in the morning.

5. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Had more time to take a look at the bike and I never realized I was missing exhaust studs.

anyone have a good source before I become a cheapskate and just get some Allen head bolts lol.

Anyways, here’s some pictures of the wheels and body kit on the bike. IMG_2385.jpeg IMG_2386.jpeg IMG_2387.jpeg

William Schneider likes this.
  6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Why would they pull the exhaust "studs'? I would try and locate one,and run it through every hole to check for any of them being stripped.

7. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

all the stud threads are good, I’m going to just assume they were rusted and backed out when the exhaust manifold was pulled.

found somewhere that sells titanium studs but for now I’m going to run some Allen head bolts.

went to turn over the bike today and got nothing.

I primed the pump and filled the bowl up with fuel. Haven’t checked for spark yet as it’s time for dinner but I’m kinda bummed and stumped. All the harness looks in good shape. Bike just not happy enough to start. Turns over strong but no pops or bangs even trying to choke itself to life.

William Schneider and ToofPic like this.
  8. ToofPic

What have you done with spark plugs,checked valve clearance?

9. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

For starters. I got fuel into the bowls by actually putting the lines in the proper flow direction through the pump.

next is to just pull a wire and check to see if I have spark through the coils and If they are in the right order with 1/4 and 2/3 and the right signal wire to which ever batch.

I’m off all day tomorrow and it give me sometime to vent the garage from the fuel I just spilt all over my self because I forgot to shut the peacock off .

also for some reason. The tachometer wire is cut from the ecu to the harness. I got it connected together but no change in the startup yet.

we will see what happens next once I inspect plugs.

ToofPic likes this.
  10. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

This is the wiring diagram I’m working off of.
    The color coordination helps a lot. IMG_2391.jpeg

ToofPic likes this.
  11. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Okay so we have an update!

Took the harness out, ohmed out everything and there were no breaks in the harness to plugs.

Pulled the carburetors and started with just pulling the needles and checking the clip setting in everything. Everything was set to the middle to start.

Pulled apart all the bowl sections with the pin, float, valve, main jet as well as slow jet. Turns out ALL the slow jets were clogged even though the system looked fairly clean.

I do have a slight concern as to the main jets on all four carbs were “Factory 145K” instead of the stock #135 for 1/4 and #138 for 2/3.

Installed the carbs back on, routed the fuel lines back on and gave the start/stop a couple 2 second cycles to pump fuel into the carbs. Shot all four funnels with a spritz of choke fluid and we have a running engine. However no exhaust header yet so had to put a hold on actually running the bike more than 10 second. But it was great to hear that sweet sound. IMG_2429.jpeg IMG_2430.jpeg IMG_2431.jpeg IMG_2432.jpeg IMG_2433.jpeg IMG_2434.jpeg

ToofPic and fastedyamaha like this.
  12. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Having some issues that I’m not to sure how to go about.

The Windshield I have doesn’t fit so I need to order another one.

Also, the aluminum fairing stay that they sell, FB005, I’m not a fan of it. Very tight and close to the handlebars and levers.

I’m missing the coolant outlet pipe and thermostat so I can actually get some heat into the bike but for the most part. It’s ready to rock when I find a replacement rear master cylinder.

As an added bonus, picked up a set of Gen 3 Woodcraft Dual Temp Tire Warmers for $100 shipped.

Overall, I’m happy so far. IMG_2442.jpeg

ToofPic likes this.
  13. ToofPic

Dude,your killing it! Great reports,and reminds me of my days on the f3! Its a great platform!

Miguelito likes this.
  14. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Thanks a lot!

I really miss the sound and feeling of riding on an f3. Was my first race bike until I hopped on a 2nd gen R6 which I still have.

Really wish I could take it for a spin already and make sure everything is safe and sound so I can make the decision on whether to sign up for cycle jam since Road Atlanta is my home track.

Pics of the old bike below.
    IMG_2910.jpeg IMG_0006.jpeg IMG_1057.jpeg

ToofPic likes this.
  15. ToofPic

Great pic's!

Miguelito likes this.
  16. ToofPic

Road Atlanta used to be my home track too before I moved to Commifornia. I lived on Poplar Springs rd and could hear the track.
    I did better at Roebling though with results
    Have fun!

17. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Bike is 91.2% complete!

I need to source a rear master cylinder or rebuild kit and a new headlight stay for my stock cluster or go ahead and do the f4i cluster upgrade and keep the aluminum headlight stay.

I am not running a thermostat and worst case I’ll tape up the radiator to block air flow but the water moves at a good rate to not even move the needle close to middle.

took the bike for a spin around the block and man I really miss the feeling of these bikes. I can’t wait to be on track again.

where’s the rules and sign up for cyclejam

Attached Files:

ToofPic likes this.
  18. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Talk about a Sunday funday!

Pulled the black surround off the cluster to get it to fit under the windshield, bled the front brakes and risked it for the biscuit.

Took a 10 mile ride over to my girls place and boy was it an amazing feeling to ride around on an F3.
    IMG_2468.jpeg

VFR#52 and William Schneider like this.