1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'18 GSXR 1000R troubles

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Motofun352, May 27, 2023.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I stored my Suzuki over the winter in my basement, as I always do. Same routine, fall maintenance, fresh oil, and fluids, only difference was I forgot to fill the tank with stabilized gas. When I got it out of storage it ran rough, wouldn't spool up like it normally does. I figured water somehow condensed in the tank and drained and refilled the tank with no difference. Pulled the pump/filter and inspected everything but it was pristine. It acts like a fuel problem but damn if I can find it. Squirted carb cleaner around looking for a vacuum leak, no dice. Put fresh plugs in it but the originals only had 2400 miles of track use, again no dice.
    Any ideas of where to look next? Appreciate the help. PS all the pipes get hot so every cylinder is firing (at least a little).

2. Motofun352

I'm more and convinced I have a fuel injector issue. Has anyone had any success with any of the FI cleaner fluids or are they just snake oil?

3. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Track only bike or street use also? I ask because based on the description it does sound like partially clogged injectors.
    If it's a street bike and it runs "okay" then a couple long rides may clean them up. Track use only is a bit more inconvenient.

Might want to try http://www.proflowtech.com/ if you want to send them off for a good cleaning.
    I've used them before, they get two thumbs up from me. I've never tried the cleaners but it may be worth it for minor clogging.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

You need to give us a better description than "wouldn't spool up".

What is the bike actually doing? What RPM? What throttle opening? etc.

5. Motofun352

The bike seems to idle OK. I can stall it if I'm too abrupt with the clutch. Up around 3 grand it gets rough like it's not evenly firing on all cylinders (at least that's my impression). All pipes get hot as they steam a water spray. I'm going to try some FI cleaner next.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Normally I put stabil in the tank then ride the bike hard to get "stabil-ized" fuel all the way to the injectors. Forgot to run it one year and had a sputtering, stuttering bike come spring.

I simply let it idle until that cleared up and I was able to rev it in neutral without it dieing. Then I went out and ran it hard repeatedly until it ran fine under load. That was it. Ran some injector cleaner through the next couple of tanks (not sure if it really did anything) and never had any issues.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Depending on the milage and now this condition it might make sense to do plugs.

I was wondering if maybe your fuel pump is going but they usually fail under high load not 3K rpm.

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you were running pump gas, my guess is that the injectors are in need of a cleaning due to ethanol deposits. I've used ProFlow but we have a guy that does them here locally now. I do it once a season usually, and I run race gas- But it keeps the bike in tune and I've seen more race engines blow up from crappy tuning than anything else, so I'm a freak about that. I store my bikes with a little C-12 or Sunoco as the last fuel mostly for this reason.

RichMangus likes this.
  9. Ron Pedersen

Ron Pedersen AFM #541

My hayabusa had pump gas in it for 2yrs. Had a stumble at about 6-7000rpm. Put Lucas injector cleaner in it, ran it down the freeway and runs perfect. Thought I would try it before I ripped everything apart. Glad I did. Worth a shot before tearing it apart

10. Motofun352

Thanks, I tried some STP injector cleaner and it cleared the fault codes. Still don't trust it so I'll be at Summit in a few days and I'll give it a good shake out.....here's hoping.

11. Motofun352

All's good, ran normal

StaccatoFan and PPPope like this.
  12. CBRRacer07

CBRRacer07 Got Curves?

Sounds great. I too am dealing with a similar issue. My bike, 19 gsxr750, sat since 10/21 with fuel stabilizer in it on a battery tender. It's track only and hasn't been ridden since it was put up but started occasionally about 1x/month. About two weeks ago it suddenly dawned on me that it's been over a year since that gas (although put in fresh) had not been changed. Dumped the fuel and replaced with fresh gas and it sputtered like you described about once per gear around 8-9k rpm's. I put injector cleaner in it and gonna try to run it as best I can as its not street legal and I have no TD's lined up. Bike only has 1,6XX miles and plugs were replaced at 500 miles so I think I'm good there.

13. Ron Pedersen

Ron Pedersen AFM #541

@Motofun352 , awesome!!! It will do it as long as it’s not too bad I neglect my street bikes because I race and instruct&stupid people on the street!!! Speed Safley man…