1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

170 rear on an sv650

Discussion in 'General' started by keg0900, Dec 8, 2004.

1. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

has anyone done this?
    if so what were your thoughts about it ? did it work good or bad and why?

thanks

2. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

you crazzzzyyy man.
    I haven't.

Daniel

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Mafia In-forc-er

we ran some 170 H2's and liked them. No real difference in the seat of the pants though.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  4. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

have a freind who ran a duc rear wheel w/ a 180.......
    i thought it'd be too big .......you dont need all that rubber, but he liked it. but the fastest people i've seen on the track have been running stock sized wheels, so i couldnt imagine there being much to gain by it.

5. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I have run an SV with a 170 and found that the steering seemed to slow down for me. I found zero advantage in running a larger tire. Just my .02

6. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

I run a 150 Dunny and have all the grip I need. The 170 will just add weight and make it turn in slower.

7. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

What he said.

8. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

thats cool i was just thinking that the stones come in 170 for the better tire and they dont have a 160 in the 002's so thats were I was coming from just looking for more options for next year.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Dan Hankle, Columbus OH, AHRMA BOT-F3 champ, ran 180's on his SV last year in order to run the Bridgestones. The tires looked wierd, but Dan ran great and said he liked the feel. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. 160's are plenty of tire for me . . . .

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If Pirelli made a 150/155, I'd be running that.

11. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Stock rims???????????

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I have no idea why you would run a 180. Especially in F3 where it's stock SVs.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I used a few 170 Pilot race softs (leftover old gen.) and liked them fine. At like $40 each I could live with the quarter inch chicken strips. My favorate tires I used on the SV were B/S 165 slicks. But hey, what do I know, I'm slow...

14. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

One of my teammates inadvertantly ran a 180 in a race because he was changing his tires between races in haste and didn't notice he grabbed a 180 from another teammate. He ran a fast race and didn't notice. Since he didn't notice, he returned to the 160s.

15. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Hey Ed,

They do make a 150 - I run 'em on my MZ.

Talk to Moose.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

In a slick or DOT? I think I remember hearing someone talk about it once before. I meant to follow up with it, but never did. I'll look into it thanks.

17. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Sorry for the delay - sometimes work gets in the way of my BBS'n...

I run DOT 110/70/17 Blue (super-soft) and 150/60/17 Green (soft.)

Moose usually has a few sets in stock.