14T front sprocket on R6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Logan Schwartz, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Has anyone ever used a 14 tooth front sprocket on an R6? I would like to try a longer wheelbase without having to get a longer chain. I'm currently running 15-44 and if I switch to 14-41 I will get about 16.5mm more wheelbase while maintaining virtually the same gear ratio. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I have never heard of anyone running a 14 tooth front on an R6. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, I just don't want to buy the sprockets and then find out they won't work for some dumb reason that I overlooked. Can anyone comment on this?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Someone got a bunch of people to run a 14T on R6's in NorCal at Thunderhill and Sonoma. I've seen it and know it won't break anything. Keep an eye on the swingarm guard as it will wear quickly.

That amount of wheelbase is very near the end of the adjusters. The stock adjusters will thread in ~2 turns IIRC. I've tried 15/44-116 which is ~0.5mm longer than 14/41-114. You'll definitely notice how long it is, for better or worse. :p

I understand your want to try longer. 15/44-114 is my absolute limit for how short I can stand the bike. That's why I run 15/43 and 42 more often :D

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You're going to trash the swingarm guide in short order and probably get into the aluminum of the swinger with a 14T front.

An RKXSO520 retails for less than $100.

If you have a problem on a race bike you can fix for less than $100, you don't have a problem.

Boman Forklift, Suzuka_joe and duc995 like this.
  4. Thanks for the info guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I knew the swingarm guard would take some extra abuse, but I didn't think it would be quite that bad. I ended up going with a 116 link chain.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I don't expiriment with sprocket tooth count at all. Can someone tell me why a lower tooth count front sprocket will wear out the swingarm guard?

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A smaller sprocket has less diameter, forcing the chain to run a path that is thinner at the front. This rubs the guard harder under most conditions. So the guard wears faster.

lopitt85 and TurboBlew like this.