1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 to 1 compression pistons / runs on pump premium?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Gehr, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Building that oil/air cooled 86' GSX-R1100 engine & it was suggested I get a Weisco big bore kit which seems like a good idea.
    Want to run this beast on pump premium & it seems to me that with this engine which has a tendency to run hot as is this will not be a good choice for running successfully on a 12 to 1 compression engine?
    :confused:

2. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

I ran 13:1 Wisecos in a 771cc street motor. It ran great on good pump gas, but it did NOT like to sit in traffic. Oil temp would get way up there.

Race motor? I would think no sweat.

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Hmmm, 12:1 could be a wee bit much. I try not to go over 10:1 or 10.5:1 on 93 octane with ethanol (readily available pump gas). You can compensate, somewhat with timing and cold plugs, but high compression is an engine killer. It is just hard on everything. Of course, most of my stuff is old(er) British, not middle aged Japanese, and there is a HUGE difference.

YMMV. Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Dave

4. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

I've got a 2 MM big bore in my 1052 with stock compression and it seems pretty happy with this setup. I also run the later curved oil cooler which helps considerably. My "A" bike is a 1216 with stock compression and I've shot the head temp after a 8 lap sprint at 268 F. This bike really hates the cool down lap and trip to the trailer. I couldn't imagine what it would do if it was 12:1.

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Mix one gallon of VPC12 to four gallons of super, problem solved.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Does this stuff really work?
    I mean really work?
    And, if so, how does it really work?
    Dyno proven, really work?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Does it increase octane? Absolutely. I use it in the Jeep and no pinging or knocking with the program I'm running and regular unleaded, major pinging without. It makes the Dodge run better and it gets better mileage (which is does on 93 octane fuel too).

Does it make more power? No clue.