1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 GSXR 1000 erratic launching

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crazymofo, Mar 9, 2015.

1. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

gday folks

at a recent race meet, I was struggling to get the bike of the line cleanly with the clutch shuddering at times, other times it'd slip like a bitch and other times it'd grip and wheelie the shit out of itself.

would it be due to the hydraulic clutch set up or something a bit more serious? ive never had a hydro clutch before and to be quite honest I don't like the feel of it when launching aggressively.

is there anything I should look at to improve the consistency of the clutch before I look at swapping it all out for k6 cable bits? if the hydro stuff really is shit, what besides the front sprocket cover and lever/cable would I need?

cheers.joe.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

The drag racers here put hydraulic clutches on the K5/K6 bikes here. Something to think about. The road racers were doing vice versa, go figure.

I had a K7 that was a bit of a handful to launch but a buddy of mine could fire his off the line like a BOSS. I think it's mainly the technique and clutch stack height issue, wear, etc. Once I installed a new frictions/steels mine was much better.

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Check the clutch basket fingers out, they often de shape causing plate drag

4. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

If it's only slipping while launching I would bleed the master and check the engagement. You lose a lot of feel with the hydro set up but I didn't think it was huge detriment to my launching.

6. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

thanks for the suggestions guys

id prefer to eliminate things on the OEM set up rather then ditch it all for 06 bits.

I will pull the clutch out and inspect all the parts as per service manual and bleed the system. hopefully it will help somewhat. Should I pull the basket and drill the holes like the guys on the k6's done, does it actually work to reduce the chattering at all?

biggest problem I experience is the clutch grabs and lets go then grabs, lets go.. repeat lots of times, all in one launch.. some grabs result in the bike pointing upwards, making it hard to get the bike going quickly.

cheers.joe.

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

weight till you see the bruising as such to the channells for the disc plates locations man

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I thought the 07-08 clutch baskets already had the holes as compared to the k5-k6.

You could pull the clutch fibers/steels out and see if there are any burned sport or wear. I know on my 07 I had to replace the steels but mine was the typical clutch slippage (high rpms when hot). I can't remember if there was a preferred stack height other than what was in the manual.