1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'07+ 600rr or '06+ r6?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by rocalotopus, Mar 19, 2011.

?

Which bike would you recommend?

1. 07+ 600RR

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. 06+ R6

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

i'm going to pick up one or the other in the near future for a trackslut/racebike. anybody that's ridden both on track, please post up opinions/thoughts/etc.

i've ridden the honda and loved it, but haven't ridden the r6. i know in the end, i'll have to ride the yam to really decide--mostly looking for feedback. thanks.

2. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

R6 handles better. More people race r6's. If you are doing trackdays, both will be sufficient.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You meet the nicest people on a HONDA! :D

4. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

dammit, forgot the poll.

5. primo

primo Well-Known Member

100% R6! Cheap parts, easy to find parts, little faster and better handling. :D

6. Antonisss

Antonisss Active Member

If you re gonna keep it relatively stock, Honda should be better because of the better midrange. Plus, it is also lighter(about 2-3 kgs on stock status)

But in the end, it's what you like the most. Both handle great and ride great

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Fixed.

8. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I voted r6... I've never owned a cbr so I can't comment on the performance, but wayy more people race R6's so spares and parts are easier/cheaper to find. I think a lot of people will vote the same way.

9. SJC1000rr

SJC1000rr Well-Known Member

Coming from a honda guy, the R6 is the way to go unfortunately. Better handling and power. Easier to find parts and so on. If I didn't have so much into my honda, I would have switched over.

10. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

08+ R6

11. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

the vote is closer than i thought.
    i'll get on track on a nice r6 asap.

12. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Go with the Honda. It won't spin your bearings.

13. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

no idea what you mean.

love the honda, already have one in street trim in the garage. might just pick up another and call it good. :p

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Nor will the R6, long as you maintain it. In general, R6s handle better and make more power (here in the states at least.. the Brits somehow make stupid power out of their CBRs...), and Yamaha parts are dirt cheap, especially compared to Honda parts which are nuts expensive.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

A "spun bearing" generally generally means that the main bearings that the crankshaft rides on lost their oil protection and welded themselves to the crankshaft. Happens most commonly when oil pressure is too low.

16. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

haha. no, i meant that i didn't realize the r6 had that problem. :D

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

way way more setup info and cheaper used parts for the R6. Likely will be able to find more of them to choose from as well.

18. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

+1

19. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

Cbr street/r6 track

20. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Not a very scientific estimate of the failure rate, but the bearing issues with the R6 are pretty well documented...

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=147952

Before I bought my '07 CBR I had an '05 R6, both were track bikes. Yamahas are great bikes, you can't go wrong with either. I'm a honda guy at heart, but if I weren't I would probably be on an R6.

I've not had to buy any current model R6 parts so I can't compare, but I will say I've never had any problems finding ample supply of inexpensive CBR parts. Many CBR parts (especially controls) match prior model years, or match what's on the 1000RR. Otherwise, ebay is a great resource for tracking down cheap/used OEM parts. WERA Classifieds and 600rr.net are good places to find cheap/used aftermarket parts.