1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 R6 won't stay running?!?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by APCh8r, Jun 1, 2012.

1. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Okay, so I have had some recent issues with my 06 R6 race bike this season when starting it. When starting the bike it does not want to stay running when I first start it. I usually have to keep revving the bike once I get it started till it is to 120 degrees and then blip the throttle some before it will maintain running and idle properly. Also sometimes later throughout the day it will have trouble continuing to run when I start it. It is fine on the track and once I get it started and running, but the initial starts are causing me issues. Has anyone had this problem in the pass and if so what did you check/replace to fix the problem? Is this a sign of any potential problem internally with the motor?

Thanks

2. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

check with Ryan Haddock. He has a very similar issue with his 06 last year.

[email protected]

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Mine bike with a kit box started doing this. Would not idle, and wasn't running on 4 cylinders fully and one head pipe would get super hot. After it would warm fully it ran fine, but this was a pain..
    RM racing pointed something out that was so simply it is unreal.. regarding bikes with a kit box. Just hold the starter button a bit even as the motor is firing up. Strange, but true. It fixed my irregular starting issue (sometimes i held it longer unknowingly and it would start fine). I just showed this trick to another guy last weekend too! Same issue.

4. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

I don't have a kit ecu on mine though, as I have all dynojet stuff (PCIII USB, QS, Ignition Module)...not sure if it would be a similar issue or not...will have to look into it also.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Its the battery. Change it. Been here, done this.

6. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Not the battery, has a brand new ballistic battery in it.

7. MELK-MAN

have you checked that your throttle position in the pc program is reading "0" at closed throttle and "100" at fully open? I have had this issue with pc before..
    Another strang but true issue i had with my bike without kit box (flashed ecu/pc/ign module) is it all on it's own retarded timing like crazy at low throttle positions and low rpm. I have no idea how it happened, and because you never scroll down that far in rpm's it took awhile to discover.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's probably this. Just hold the starter button in until it stays running.

9. MELK-MAN

he emailed me he doesn't have a kit box.. but i hold the starter on both bikes a bit longer these days.

10. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Okay I will try this out next time I go out....since it is going to be awhile due to life obligations (graduation and licensure boards) I will probably due some other maintenance such as change the spark plugs, clean filter, check the tune, etc. and see what happens.

11. MELK-MAN

this is something you can try without riding it. Just start it by stabbing the starter-see how it idles. then HOOOOOOLLLLDD the starter button longer even after the bike starts to fire off. See if it idles BETTER doing that. One of my bikes i can make it run like shit, if i stab the starter, or run super-fine EVERY time holding the button longer..

yea, plugs, making sure the coils are pushed on all the way, good gas, etc. all good stuff. I also "know a guy" that services fuel injectors.. :)

12. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

They will be coming your way as discussed before, just got to wait till i start the new job in july to have some income for things.

In regards to the starter, should I hit it to start it and then let go and then push it again or just hold it from the moment I try to start it? How long do you typically hold it?

13. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Its reassuring to hear others have experienced idling issues on a R6. I have two completely different powertrains that have intermittent idling issues when I install them in the chassis.

#1 - Stock 2007 engine, stock ECU, stock wire harness, stock throttle bodies, valves in spec.

#2 - Modified 2008 engine with one cylinder disabled to displace 450 cc, kit ECU, kit harness, stock 2008 throttle bodies, valves in spec.

Both have intermittent idling issues (sometimes they don't idle) when warm. Both run great at speed, but the idling issue is annoying. Its been a head scratcher to me. Usually I just hold the throttle open a bit, maybe that's better to keep the oil pressure up. :D There was some talk about the kit ECU having an idle speed adjustment, but I've not found it in the software.

14. MELK-MAN

just push the start button the 1 time, but hold it in a bit longer than you think you should. simple.

15. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Mine did the exact same thing with a new ballistic battery... went back to stock and it was fine. Might be worth a try.

16. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

hmmm that sucks to hear

17. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

It started by doing that, and then it eventually stopped starting the bike. I talked to ballistic about it and they told me to test it and send it back if it had issues... never did that now that I think about it. They do have a good warranty.

18. MELK-MAN

you guys didn't charge those ballistic batteries overnight did ya? 45 min charging max.. same with most other lightweigth batteries.

awalk, what part of central IL you from? i grew up in LeRoy, outside bloomington/normal.

19. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

no, they said they aren't suppose to be used on normal battery chargers and should be good to go out of the box.

20. MELK-MAN

exactly. i have 2, one in each bike. never been hooked to a charger.