1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 600RR won't start when up to temp

Discussion in 'Tech' started by volcomrr, Feb 3, 2011.

1. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

This is pissing me off for, well, the past 3 years....

My bike starts up like a champ when it's cold (i.e. bike temp isn't above 100deg-ish). But if I'm riding home for work, stop at a gas station to fill up, and try to start the bike again, the battery seems like it's just dead. The lights and everything turn on and the fuel pump primes, but when you press the start button, the motor turns over once or so and then the battery just weakens down really quick and won't turn the motor over. Let the bike sit for 15min or so and the bike will start up (usually I'll just get a running go and bump it off).

- I replaced the R/R with one off an 06' with low mileage
    - New spark plugs (due to a recent diagnosis of it not starting, turned out there was water in the gas, had to drain the tank).
    - I'm on my 3rd battery with this bike (currently have a Mavryk Design 8-cell battery in it)

Suprisingly enough this started when I was road racing in 2008, first lap of a race at Nelson Ledges and the bike just shut off in the right sweeper after the carusel*, battery went dead. Replaced that battery with a stock oem one, then beginning of 2010 had to replace that battery and got the 8-cell.

Anybody got any ideas? I hate stopping to get gas and then the bike not starting back up.

Could this be ignition coil?
    Stator?
    38*** miles on the bike.

Thanks. :up:

2. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

Did you check the output on the Voltage Regulator when you put it on?

3. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

How do you do that when the R/R is actually connected to the bike? The male/female plugs are then connected, so where would you put the prongs of the multimeter?

4. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

Couple ways just off the top of my head....

Check at the battery... pretty open test points there.
    Back side of one of the VR plug with the standard probes.
    Use a pericing style probe on the wires (I hate doing that)
    Clamp style probe or clamp style meter.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

Thanks. Back when my laptop was alive when I replaced the R/R and got the 8-cell, I had the shop manual and checked the battery, R/R, and stator like the manual said and they were fine. So, I don't think it would be those. But could be.

Just read a thread on 600rr.net and a guy solved his problem by replacing the starting motor and cleaning the connectors.... :rolleyes:

6. r8ed600rr

r8ed600rr Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with my 03 600rr race bike. I did the same thing you did replaced r/r battery tested the out put on it. This weekend I am going to try to replace the starter motor as well. Ill let you know what happens.

7. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

600rr.net... yea...
    The VR is just the 2nd place I would check (1st would be actaully load testing the battery).
    then I'd move on to:
    Checking & cleaning ALL connections (not just battery & VR).
    Checking ALL wires for nicks, tears, or any other exposed wire.
    Use a good multimeter and the wire diagram to trace down any remaining problems.

From what I've seen and worked on - most issues are usually because of a modification - typicially a plate relocater kit or turn signals, etc... I'd go over the bike with a multi-meter first before guessing and throwing parts at the bike.

8. FSLong

FSLong Active Member

Check your air filter and if this bike has carbs, check the vent lines to them.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My '03 RR was just like this, but even after sitting for a bit. But, I had the 4 cell Maviryk battery. Would start just fine when cold, but not when properly warmed. My opinion is that the compression was just perfect to trap one cylinder at BTDC and not allow the engine to turn over. I never tested my theory, I just bumped it down pit road. Try rocking the engine backwards in first gear to clear the cylinder. It worked wonders on my Ascot 500 (I know, I know, but still...) and it might work on the RR.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'd check the current draw of the starter. Sounds to me like the starter gets hot and requires more amps than the battery can give it. Also I'd watch for a really hot main battery cable and any other items on the starter circuit, ie; relay as a bad starter will quickly heat up the cable and possibly cause a meltdown!

11. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Its the battery, make sure it has at least 220CCA. I had this issue also..Hondas require more cca to start a hot bike then other makes..I know this has i bought the wrong battery when replacing it with a light one. Bike starts fine when cold, soon as its hot it wont..

12. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

Please let me know if that works or not :up:

I've load tested the battery and actually check both R/R's. I should check and clean all connections.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the hotbodies fender eleminator kit or the hotbodies flush mounts, they've been installed on the bike since shortly after I purchased it, off the showroom floor.

Yea I'm not going to just throw money at parts. Crapy thing is I need to do more checks when it's cold and hot

Fuel Injected.

I'll try that trick for the time being, but I need to get this figured out eventually.

That's something I havn't check but thought about checking after reading the 600rr.net forum.

If it was the battery, would you suppose it would still have the same problems with a brand new OEM battery specifically for that bike?