what are my OZ wheels made of?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wrecklessfool, Jul 2, 2005.

1. wrecklessfool

wrecklessfool I am my bike's bitch...

I have a set of OZ wheels for a CBR 954. They are gold and six spoke front and rear. I think they are forged alum but They feel EXTREMELY light! Not that it's a bad thing at all. I was just wondering if there would be a stamping or casting somewhere on the wheel to denote it's material. A dealership that changed the tires told me he would be that they are magnesium. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -Jason

2. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

probably magnesium, probably cast magnesium?

3. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

Grape Jelly??

:D

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They're probably magnesium, but you'd be surprised how light aluminum is as a material. It's just not very strong compared to some other metals/alloys. I think.

5. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Usually if something is magnesium it will be marked or stamped to let you know. I think it might get ugly real fast if you tried to weld magnesium thinking it was aluminum.

6. sculptor666

sculptor666 Well-Known Member

look up what the different OZ wheels weigh (i've run across this info before), and then weigh yours next time you change tires (minus bearing weight).

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

As far as I know, OZ only makes 2 wheel sets (HL01 & HL02) they are BOTH forged aluminum wheels.

I could be wrong but I think the forged aluminum is actually stronger than cast magnesium.....its a great wheel!

8. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

the Aprilia Nera comes with forged magnesium OZ wheels.