What was God's plan?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Dec 28, 2004.

1. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was God

So misguided.

2. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was God's plan?

Christ's death was an atonement for original sin (all sin past, present and future). It wasn't a do-over.

Baptism is not a tenant for salvation. Nor does it cleanse one of sin. It is an outward and public confession of one's faith in Christ as their savior.

3. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Even Christ's original Apostles were killed in horrible ways. Being a Xtian, Jew, Muslim, agnostic, atheist, Shinto, Buddhist, Taoist, etc. doesn't stop bad things from happening to you. It's all a matter of faith and a belief in an afterlife.

Either one of two things. First, you have to ask for forgiveness. I'm not sure if that means forgiveness for original sin, or just the actual sins we have committed ourselves. Second, maybe his death/resurrection washed away original sin. It didn't stop people from sinning after they were born though. I don't buy into the "unbaptised babies go to Hell" argument either. From a pure psychological standpoint, babies and children are innocent (meaning they don't truly understand right from wrong the way adults do) until they get older. Considering how much Jesus allegedly loved children on an innocent non-Michael Jackson level, but seemed to truly enjoy the innocense of children, and spoke vehemently against corrupting children, I find it hard to believe (read: impossible) that they were rotten with sin and condemned to Hell until baptism and salvation when they hadn't knowingly done anything morally wrong. I think Christ was speaking solely to adults who knew what they were doing; of course, that's also why I think it's better to wait until people accept or reject the religion before sprinkling them with water and having confirmation to make sure that's what they really wanted. It just seems too ceremonial.

-Cheers

4. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was God's plan?

Sorry, but I can't see God's gift of His Son to ALL mankind as fascist.

If your so sure of your opinion (and I'm not quite sure what that is, other than I'm wrong) then stick to it.

Spouting off and attacking those with different opinions and beliefs just makes you seem insecure of your own.

Frankly I enjoy the peace that comes from trusting God rather than the torment of trying to figure Him out for myself. And I don't think that's a cop-out. This thread has shown that trying to figure out His plan and intentions leads nowhere.

5. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

:D :D :D

(unnecessary, but funny!)

6. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was God

I get to spend eternity with the great philosophers, inventors, scientists, writers, artist, etc. not to mention billions of loose woman.

You get to spend eternity with .. well .. Pat Boone. And of course a bunch of Thumpers. Hope at least the Angels will go down on you.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I can’t believe all the hoopla about the concept of free will and believing God knows all. Why is it so difficult to understand that yes God has given YOU the ability to make your own decisions AND knows what your decisions will be before you make them? To me, that’s exactly what makes Him, God!

I could be wrong but your feelings may change later on.

So again someone else is wrong and your right, some things never change. Is it ok for some of us to pity you?

Not quite but I think you may have been sarcastic? I believe many people may ‘think’ they mean those words at the time of their attempt at salvation (none of us will know for sure but God knows what’s in their/our hearts when we make this commitment). If it were that easy every murdering POS who learns about salvation would hold off and continue murdering and save that commitment in their dying last breath. I don’t think its that easy.

I’ve had a hard time grasping this one myself over the years. The way I remember it being taught was basically every person will have the ability/opportunity to accept Christ as their Savior, to this day I still have a hard time believing that. However, unlike some other faiths that believe a baby who isn’t baptized and dies will not go to heaven…. If I correctly recall the way it was taught to me, any person who dies before the age of understanding that commitment to Christ will have eternal life…. i.e. babies, children, mentally impaired individuals and possibly people who never learn about the choice to accept Christ as their Savior. With that being said, obviously that doesn’t include those of us who been subjected to the Truth leading us to Christ.

So basically you want to equate yourself to being an equal of God?

WTH are you talking about? Now you think you have the ability to know if someone has more or less trust/faith in God? Just reading the rest of you post cracks me up (ie. presumptuous, assumptions, etc..) because you accuse RFKnight of the exact thing your doing to him now.

I agree!
    Although I agreed with the majority of RFKnights posts on this subject I kind of disagreed with his “Amen” in response to your post. Hence my reply above regarding what you said. Also I’m only on page 9 :P but since it hasn’t been mentioned yet (I don’t think) once you make your commitment in accepting Christ as your savior, your/our gift from God is eternal life……you don’t lose your salvation no matter what you say or do before your light goes out. ;)
    One more thing, some of you seem to be hell bent in proving RFKnight or the Christian faith (it’s NOT an organized religion btw) wrong or flawed. He is one person who’s taken the time to share his faith I think it’s a little unfair to criticize and over analyze every single word/sentence he has posted, cut the guy some slack he can be flawed just like the rest of us.

Is it possible? Yes…….likely? uh no!

Wow fascism made it into this discussion ??? Are you under the impression that RFKnight wrote/interpreted the Bible? But yes your right it “certainly was NOT him”. He did warn that it’s a tough pill to swallow, don’t shoot the messenger. But AGAIN this is where free will comes to play you don’t have to like what he’s saying, its his belief, if you choose to pray to another all the power to you.

Do you think there is any human being who doesn’t sin? We ALL sin. How do you get into Heaven? Its been mentioned a few times already, if you choose to have the Christian faith its through the acceptance of Christ.

I thought you read the bible? :)
    Isaiah, chapter 14: “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”
    I believe the “fallen from heaven” bit picks up again in Revelations.

No. Christians die horrific deaths too. Many of you make death to be a bad thing I guess that’s a natural thing for many people who don’t believe in anything else or don’t know what to believe. I guess that’s where faith comes in, I feel bad sorta for those who don’t know how to have it, personally, I don’t fear death nor do I think Heaven will be anything but the blissful place my faith teaches me it is.

When would you think it would be a good time for Him to stop intervening?
    Or are you just wishing life on earth were heaven?
    Papa: In a nutshell, Adam & Eve screwed up and the rest of this existence as we know will pay the consequence. It is what it is!
    The difference here is that through the sacrifice of his Son he gave us the ability to choose our eternal destiny. The sacrifice ALONE isn’t what makes us saved, its through acceptance his Son into our hearts that opens that door.

I could only hope through time you will change your mind, the fact that you said “pretty sure” tells me there is still hope for you.

AMEN! Now if I could only get my Italian Catholic mother to understand this! ;)

Wow this pretty much sums up Tom Casby, I wish this thread came out before the election debates I wouldn’t of wasted my time arguing with him. LOL! To even joke about Hell being a fun/cool place to spend an eternity is pretty sad to me.

Although I dont feel Im even remotely close to being a good example of Christianity I KNOW my faith and believe totally in my commitment to Christ. I sin like everyone else.....I like to think if even I can make the leap into trusting Christ as my Savior so could any other person.

Flame away!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  8. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Hey Sporty - where ya been?

9. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

The only true surprise is how long it took for it to happen.

-Cheers

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Whats up Caz!

I figured after collecting my check from the RNC my work was done here. :D
    Seriously, work (both at home and my job) has been hammering me!

11. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I'm glad I'm not alone in this concept.

I refered to this earlier as the 'age of accountability.'

That's how I perceive their arguement. Thet want to understand (i.e. be equal to) God.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen it this way.

By 'Amen' I meant I agreed with the idea that true repentance was available to everyone up to their last breath. I didn't realize it was posted as a 'what if' scenario.

It's been mentioned.

Thanks. I sometimes think people read my post too quickly or just blatently take things out of context. That the problem with the web board. Without the tone in which it's delivered, a message can take on the wrong meaning.

And yes, I'm incredibly flawed.

Apparently so.

I think that's the part they missed when reading my post too fast.

That's how I read it.

I don't know why everyone insist that I'm condemning them. I'm hoping that everyone comes to the realization of God's love for them through Christ.

12. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

Actually, Isaiah 14 doesn't say anything about Lucifer. It says "How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn". Day Star and Dawn are dieties, but Lucifer isn't.

http://www.cresourcei.org/lucifer.html

Not that you'll bother to read it, but there's a good reference.

I DO read the Bible, I just try to do a bit more research about what it's actually saying instead of making it all fit together the way I want.

13. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

Do you people not listen to anything I say? How many times do I have to say that we, as humans, can't understand God?I have no desire to understand God since he's beyond my understanding.

People keep coming on here and explaining what God wants us or doesn't want us to do. You may think I'm arrogant, but personally I think you that do that are arrogant to think you already understand God enough to tell me what he wants.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to reread YOUR link. ;)

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

When it comes down to it, this is the ONLY piece of the great puzzle you need to have faith in:
    John 3:16
    BTW- There were no strings attached to this gift, its available for anyone who truly seeks happiness and eternal life.

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

How about reading the final paragraph of that article in the link yourself:)

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok I bit, I read it, now your point?

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, let's try to proceed differently. Suppose I am faced with a choice between A and B. if God knows that I will choose A, then it means I cannot choose B or else God would be wrong. Existing outside of time doesn't change this.

I can't believe you guys have the nerve to lecture me about what should or shouldn't I be so difficult to understand.:)

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What was God's plan?

Oddly enough my answer to the above question as it pertains to my life is yes. However there is no faith in a god or his kid involved. I don't need faith to like myself or the world or believe that good people do good things and sometimes good people have bad things happen to them. I don't need an underlying reason for why everything happens, life isn't really that difficult to figure out.

As for your ego on how your version is so much better than everyone elses - dude, wake up and smell the coffee :Poke:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I'm curious - any of the non-believers or semi-believers or not as hard core as the more devout among us who know or at least can glimpse god's plan for them actually believe anything different after 14 pages of rhetoric?

And Jeff - unless you can type in English please hush. I still have no clue what language your first post in here was in or what it pertained to.