1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is club racing going to die?

Discussion in 'General' started by TNT451, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What we've seen is that in the beginning when the bix explosion of trackdays happened we lost a number of the riders who weren't racing to race but to ride ona track in a ocntrolled environment. Shrot term that hurt us. Long term we've seen a growth in people interested in racing because of their previous exposure to the track via trackdays.

Is lcub ring dying? Nope. We've got mroe members running more miles per year than ever before. Sport bike popularity and acceptance is growing and as that happens our sport grows.

A couple of people have pointed out that we need to find a balance between profit and what's good for the riders, luckily those actually are the same thing. If the riders are happy we make money.

Longer races are not the way to go to make the majority of our riders happy, if so the Solo's would always be sold out - they're never sold out yet sprint races have been a number of times this year. We've also formally and informally asked the riders about race time vs. practice time and the majority prefer our current balance rather than shortening practice to legnthen races. I personally feel that offering more practice time makes the racing safer - but that's a feeling not a proven thing.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

Agian...my opinion from my limited experiance is this...

1.) If I am going to travel to a race track during the weekend, then I am staying both days. It's not worth it for me to go fro only one day....

This is what sucks about track days...one day events that most of the time are held during the begining of the work week. Race weekends are easier to schedual for me....

2.) Trackdays are great. You can go out and run a bunch of laps with zero pressure and run at your own pace. But it's not racing.....and cannot replace racing. It's just not the same thing..

3.) Schedual.....Ideally....I would love to see longer practices in the moring for Saturday and Sunday and less Classes all together.

I think it would be cool as hell to be able to get a good hour of practice (actual time to make changes to a bike and the test that change) in the morning while running two groups (B and C Groups) or 30 minutes running 1 group ( C group)

Then ditch the 16-20 lap Solos and run 8-10 lap Sprint races on Saturday....

How cool would that be.....1 hour of practice on Saturday morning and the B and C Superbike on Saturday and the another hour of practice on Sunday then Run B and C Superstock on Sunday...

It just seems to me that Solos are too long and Sprints are too short. Especially if it is 180 degrees outside on Saturday and the on Sunday there is a incident and the races get shortened to 4 laps...

3. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

I feel that if you can squeeze in 3 rounds of practice on sat and 2 rounds on sunday, get ride of the solo/GT's and move some races to sat you may see an increase in entries. Maybe. But it sure would make better and safer racing. There are more chances to get our bikes right before actually going racing. People can remember which way the track went, etc... A lot of people do the mini endurance races as a supplement practice because practice time is scant and a lot of times we can't get enough time off to come to friday practices.

4. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

But racing is not for everyone. we had a debate on a street rider board on what is better, TD or racing. And a lot of people expressed no desire to race. Mongo is right, in the short term a lot of "racers" dropped out to do track days because they just want to have fun on a track. But in the long run, the easy accessability of trackdays do bring out more racers who otherwise would not have gotten involved.

5. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Sunzzy, have you raced with WERA?

Just curious because WERA has 2 rounds of practice on both Saturday and Sunday and they are usually about 18 minutes each.

6. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Why

But why, its a 95 916....hell its 10 years old...an still kickin, stop by next time i let ya take er for a spin....

aaron

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Just run 600 Novice class on Saturday, or as the last race on Sunday. That way they could red-flag and restart until it gets dark.

8. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Yes I am certainly in this camp. I can't see myself racing against other people because it's expensive and risky (as a parent of small children, both of these are real problems!). I do like to "race against myself" in a controlled environment like track days. This is less expensive and less risky hence more attractive for me.

Maybe when my kids are older I'll want to graduate from the track day sandbox to the world of racing but at that point I'll probably head for vintage or the class formerly known as CORC...

9. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

What happens if one of those fast growing trackday clubs decides to leverage its customer base to start a new club racing series? What if the organizers outperfrom WERA operationally? What if they focus more on customer retention and customer service? If I were running a trackday club as a business and had 2k+ members, I'd look into doing it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What if they do? It would be no different than any other competitor we have or have had. We'd compete wiht them in the racing arena and I'm sure we'd succeed. There's a huge amount of difference between running track days successfully and running race days successfully. The customers expect a totally different level of service - just as one example, how many track days carry excess medical insurance? The weekend rentals are higher, insurance rates are higher, tracks take a cut of gate fees etc... It's just a totally different world.

That's actually why WERA isn't involved in running track days currently, we couldn't provide the same level of service ona track day that we do on race weekends. We felt it wasn't worth changing that level of service to make the money, that and we have a real problem in being able to scale down and allow all sorts of things we wouldn't ever consider having happen on a race weekend, too hard for us to mentally adjust.

11. dwheeler

dwheeler Well-Known Member

bag of worms spilled all over the ground......

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - no worms and not saying a thing about track day organizers - there are a lot of really good people running them and doing a greta job at it. But even they know it's different doing races vs/ track days.

13. gixxer998

gixxer998 Well-Known Member

I have never raced so I can't speak from experience on that but I have done a lot of track days and like others have said I don't think you can compare the two. Track days you give and take, if someone shows you a wheel most of the time you let them go. Racing, I would think that if someone shows you a wheel you are going to stuff them, well maybe not stuff them but you are going to try your hardest to not let them pass you. I would think that the intensity of racing is so much more than track days. The mentallity and the determination that you guys have is probably 10 times more than 90% of the guys doing track days. The 10% that have that mentallity that are doing track days are probably racers wanting track time. I think that's why you see more guys get hurt and sorry to say lose their life racing. You can't compare the two. Hopefully next year (if the $$$ is there) I will be racing. Just my .02. :beer:

14. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder since bikes are more powerful now than ever it seems we have more accidents.(im not sure but it feels that way) Could the effect of self preservation be a cause? Thats why more people seem content with trackdays only?

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I've had more close calls during track days than I've ever had racing.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't believe we're having any more or less percentage of crashes. Some years are indeed worse than others but it's not worse overall. Actually the amount of catatrophic injuries is less, the tracks are safer every year.

17. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

I have only seen 3 deaths at a track. 2 in practice (one moring and one Friday) and 1 in a race (and this was Tim Francis which I think could be considered a freak accident by anyone's account). also I have seen as many airlifts from trackdays as races, about 2 each. I don't have enough time in to have good stats, but those are my 2 years woth. To me it is about the same from a risk perspective.

18. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Everything being equal (more on that in a minute) racing is probably more dangerous than a track day. Usually more bikes on the track and as was stated before people are trying to beat you. Even in the race group on a TD, you show someone a wheel in more than one corner they will almost always let you by.

HOWEVER (here is the "equal" part) many (most?) of the folks at a TD do not have anywhere near the experience of riding that close to other bikes at speed as the racers. There is also often a huge difference in the bikes abilities and closing speeds. Add that with the inexperience and it can get scary out there (in the "Sport" groups). So at the end of the day, it is probably pretty close to equal.

I do feel "safer" at track days that at races but it is because I ride in the racer group with that give and take.

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

As the owner of "one of those track day" clubs I beleive that I may have a bit of perspective for you.

In the year 2001 more Sportbikes went "on track" for non-racing than for racing. This trend is continuing a very strong upward trend. Riders now have access to the track without all of teh added expense of a racing program. Lets face it , for many $75 bucks for a 8 lap sprint race isn't nearly as appealing as $110 - $195 for 150+ MILES of track time on tracks like Barber, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, Grattan, etc......

Lots of racers "retire" to track days. We've been doing this long enough to see many riders turn into racers, win championships and then turn back into track day riders. It's a cycle that seems to be on the rise.

For our members who want to go racing (and there are MANY) Sportbike Track Time could (and would like to) funnel many, many new racers into a racing program but I'm not going to chase after WERA, CCS, Fastrax etc.. If they want to grow the sport and their clubs, they should be approaching the major track day orgs and working with us collectively. This is the single best pool of prospective new racers around, period.

(Sean are you listening??)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm always listening but you didn't say anything other than we should be in touch with you - okay, tag you're it :D