1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSX-R 750: What are your opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by adrenalist, Apr 18, 2024.

1. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

As sportbikes sales and manufacturing continue to get weeded out of production by cock blocking epa regs and slowing sales, I'm getting more in tune with the end of the road that lies ahead for us. It's painful. And I've come to the realization that if I want to own a handful of (ice) sportbikes, I've a relatively short window to make that happen. Roughly 5-10 years estimate some of the publications.

The only thing I currently own is a '24 Panigale. I want to add to this. I was thinking about owning a single bike from each manufacturer that embodies their best entry to the sportbike category. For some of you, I know you'd go backwards in time for various reasons, reasons we see eye to eye on, but newer is better from a longevity, appreciation (historically, the last year of the last model almost always retains the most value), and the parts availability (manufactures have to provide replacement parts for 20 years after discontinuing a product). These reasons, to me, are the hardest arguments to ignore in lieu of getting earlier models.

So for example, picking up a '25 R1 will be a no-brainer. (Just hopefully Yamaha will be smart enough to do a "Final Edition" like Ducati has done in the past.) That will always be their swan song, their opus.

Suzuki... Well, that's not so simple. Their latest 1000 has antiquated electronics to the point I would prefer not to have any whatsoever. So I've considered grabbing a K5/K6. It is the antithesis to my arguments listed above, but I've a soft spot for them as it was the first 1000 I ever rode and by today's sportbike standards, nothing comes close to their comfortability.

But what about the GSX-R 750? I've never owned one. Just skipped them entirely and jumped from the 600 to 1000. They're still being sold today in the US as '24 models without any intervening, dated, and cantankerous electronics like the '24 1000. I've also heard a number of friends and motojournalists rave about how good they are. I remember Michael Neevesy saying that they are "probably my favorite sportbike of all time" on the intro of his video pairing the V2 & F3RR against the 750 just a year ago. Then just two days ago he dropped this video:

So I figured I'd ask the beeb. What are your honest opinions of the GSX-R 750? If you were to only own one sportbike from Suzuki, would you choose the 750, or would you opt for a different Suzuki, and why?

scottn and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have owned few generations of 750 and I think you can't go wrong with this bike, regardless what generation or year it is.
    Also owned k6 1000 and would take that one over any 750.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Get all of them.

5. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

The answer is always “Clapped out SV-650”

vfrket, SpeedyE, KrooklynSV and 8 others like this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best all around track bike you can buy.

adrenalist, Steeltoe and Banditracer like this.
  7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

What do you want to do with it? Track day? Race? Spirited street bike rides? Garage queen? Starbucks on Sunday mornings?

adrenalist and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

10/10 would recommend

adrenalist likes this.
  9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Are we talking about how it ruined the Supersport class? Or something else?

Gino230, adrenalist and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Still have my "semi" pristine K5 that I rolled off the showroom brand new 19 years ago sitting pretty in my garage and I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it. It just has that effect on you.

adrenalist and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I guess turbo busa was not an option :D

adrenalist and cbush like this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just get whichever one floats your boat. I've never heard of that guy in the video, but there are plenty of youtube people out there so finding one that shares your opinions is easy.
    If you're getting sportbikes to park and wait to sell when they are worth a mint, you should join the firm of Motion and Bird.
    If you just want to get sportbikes to add to a collection for nostalgia and personal reasons, get the bikes that blow your skirt up. Nothing else matters. Not the opinion of some youtuber, not the opinions of some beebers. Or Biebers.

And especially not the opinion of 'Toe.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

If that's the desired motorcycle...just get the damn thing. :Poke:

adrenalist and TurboBlew like this.
  14. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The only sport bike I currently own, Suzuki or otherwise, is my 2006 750 track bike. So, yeah, I would choose the 750. There are more comfortable street bikes, but I really really love the balance of 600-light handling with that extra kick in the butt of extra power, especially for goofing around at track days.

adrenalist likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I don’t know best Suzuki, never owned any model, I’m a Yamaha guy. But, the thought of owning a 1986 GSXR 750 Limited is something I’ve entertained frequently. I had a chance to buy one brand new in 86, as it sat on my local dealer’s floor with hardly any interest. I could have bought it at dealers invoice. So, pick a bike that will be a icon in the future, maybe that 100th Anniversary 1k. The K5 wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

evakat and adrenalist like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The 05 1k made me see the "light" over the hyperbores like the Busa & zx12 earlier in the decade.

adrenalist likes this.
  17. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

This is making me lean towards getting both K5/K6 1k & last 750. :D

Knew you'd comment, 'Toe. :beer:

Best advise is best!

:p

Appreciate the additional input!

Would want to start with ownership (after vetting it), then go from there. Open and very likely for track days, wouldn't race either a 750 or k5/k6 1k, would definitely ride it hard in the twisties, but only between 5-10 times a year, as I'm always busy with work. Knowing how few miles I'd likely put on it throws a variable on it as an investment, but that's not a drive, just a consideration. Again, it's more about starting with ownership and not missing out before the degredation of sportbikes takes its toll on everything.

:bow: Thank You!

Go on....

Mmmm... I am jealous. ;) Would love to find one like yours some day!

Not when there's an H2R being made :Poke:

LOL at the last part. :crackup:

He's being awfully quiet in here, honestly... :D

Agree with you, 100%. When it comes to some things, though, I do like to get a second opinion from like-minded individuals who have more experience than myself. I have zero on a 750.

The guy in the video has done reviews for a couple of decades for MCN across the pond. He's probably the best out there in terms of honesty. Definitely one of the best in the business.

Not looking to get it to park. But, I won't ride it for a ton of miles either, so it will have the opportunity to appreciate. That's a factor I have to consider. And yes, there are always better investments. But I've been on the losing side of investments that give me no joy. If these do go up in value, I win. If these go down in value, I still win. I'm happy with that.

Thanks for your input!

:)

Thanks Chango!

Thank you for the input. That story tugs at my heart strings. Had a chance to buy an 86 Bronco that I loved for years. Passed on it and have been kicking myself ever since. But I think I've more pain associated with vehicles I've sold than ones I've come close to buying. That Bronco though...

Gonna check out pics of that 86 Limited to get a visual of what you're talking about...

So much K5/K6 love here!! :cool:

Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen! :clap:

TurboBlew and brex like this.
  18. Taotech

Taotech Active Member

I love the 750. I have ever since I rode one in 1986 while I was in High School. I keep a small collection of them. I’m on number 6 and will probably buy more.

adrenalist and Banditracer like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm partial to the K6 750 it's the last pretty one imo.

adrenalist likes this.
  20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Gotta agree. Aside from a 1986 R model, this would be my pick.

adrenalist likes this.