1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Land Rover techs here?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Apr 15, 2024.

1. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

You can say that again. I imagine the supercharged is worse, but with bigger tires and a 2" lift I am happy to get 14 MPG. The combination of it having 191K miles and the fuel bill actually has me looking for a replacement.

2. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Thats 2 better than my armada. Whatcha complaining about?

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yah the supercharged Sport has 105K miles. Averages 9-10mpg. Also a teenager driving it. I only let him drive around town. If he is driving long distance we have other cars he can drive. He is starting college in the fall and its 40 miles away one way. Gotta come up with something better for the commute.

cincigp likes this.
  4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This one has the 5.0 Ford Jaguar Land Rover engine. Misfires on every cylinder at start but turn it off and start it again and it's golden. It did run low on fuel so I could have plugged up the in tank fuel filter but that doesn't explain why it's only at startup. I have 1 coil pack that might be suspect but again it doesn't explain why restarting it resolves the issue. No misfires while driving and it runs like a champ.

5. notbostrom

PS my airbags are just fine

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

From my experience, ours started getting a misfire and goes into safe mode. The misfire would jump to different cylinders. Replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs first since that was something we could do. Were swapping good packs to the misfire cyclinder with no change. So eventually took it in. Had one bad injector which are really expensive for the supercharge ($350 each). They also replaced the injector seals on all the other cylinders.

The jaguar motor looked like the injectors could be replaced much easier (and cheaper) as I bought the wrong ones first on Amazon (bought Jaguar motor injectors). Yours could be starting to go out. I would recommend swapping the coil pack first to see if it follows the problem.

7. notbostrom

Yeah I'll start with a couple new coil packs and move them around. I did have 2 bad injectors that I replaced and all was good for a couple weeks so I think this is a new trick it learned

8. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

It only happens after a long sit and cold start ? Will the misfire clear up if you leave it running or rev it ? Or must it be shut off and restarted? Engine light flashing when this happens . Can you see the data list and which cylinders are misfiring ?

I’ve done timing chain , injectors , head gaskets , fuel pumps , oil drain back plugs in cylinder heads ( that was fun to diagnose a random misfire due to plastic plugs in oil passage )

9. notbostrom

Revving will clear it up but counts enough misfires to put it in restricted performance. I do smell raw fuel so something is dumping fuel or cutting spark

10. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Not RR tech but worked on cars for many years.
    Per your description you may have leaking injectors which overnight start to fill cylinder... you have to address this soon because if your injector / s start to leak bad you can end up with hydrolock (fluid can't be compressed) and shit will bend or break.
    Keep an eye on your coolant level because small leak at head gasket will cause same symptoms, misfire at startup than clears up.
    If not attended can cause same havoc as badly leaking fuel injectors. This scenario is way more involving to repair compared to leaking injectors...

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Jesus man … you NEVER say the thing out loud. Rookie.

Phl218 and notbostrom like this.
  12. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I call that Ducati ownership:

She's so HOT! Great to show off to your friends... so FUN! But you just KNOW she's gonna steal your wallet and leave you walking alone.

SpeedWerks Racing likes this.
  13. cincigp

Do they recommend premium in your armada?

14. cincigp

Eh, it's probably going to be gone in the next 4-8 weeks, and I am at the point where if anything major breaks it's just going to the junk yard, so i'm not too concerned.

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Start with plugging the line from the Purge valve. If that doesn’t fix it pull the plugs cold and turn it over a couple of rounds by hand then look in the cylinders for puddled gas with a Borescope…
    Or Antifreeze. That’s the best way to figure it out.

16. cincigp

My airbags were all fine, but all 3 valve blocks leaked.

17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Nope the nissan trucks are regular unleaded. Not sure anout the Infinity version they might be premium.

18. notbostrom

Correct. Armadas take regular and infiniti takes super. Different engine tune

19. cincigp

That extra $1/gallon hurts when you fill up every 3-4 days.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My crap ass 20 year old Dodge does better than that dragging a trailer a round.