1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone been to Iceland?

Discussion in 'General' started by PatricksDad, Apr 4, 2024.

1. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

I've got a chance to spend 7-8 days in Reykjavik in early July.

Lodging? Not-to-miss stuff?

Senna likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

All I know about Iceland is Bjork and active volcanoes.

I’d go to see both.

PatricksDad and 27 like this.
  3. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

i have but it's been about 10 years. I went in october because i wanted to try and see the northern lights. it rained the entire time so i didn't get to see them, but it was still beautiful. I only stayed my first and last night in reykjavik. i stayed in Vik a night and somewhere else that escapes me. Drive the ring road and book a few places along the way. Trying to drive the whole road and coming back to reykjavik each night isn't doable.

there's a cool dirt bike tour company in iceland that looks like a lot of fun

they basically follow you with a chase truck and bring all you need while you ride from place to place each day

https://ridewithlocals.is/6-days-iceland-motorcycle-adventure/

PatricksDad likes this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Was there for 4 days in Oct. 2018.
    Not to miss: Gullfos, Golden Circle, Vik, Thingvellir Park. The Volcanic museum is amazing.

They have bus day trips from Reykjavik, or you could rent a car. If you rent a car, get the insurance. The wind + volcanic dust = sandpaper on paint, and the wind alone is actually strong enough to bend the car door open past the normal stop.

PatricksDad likes this.
  5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Wherever you stay in Reykjavik, leave the hot water tap on full blast during your entire trip. The water is centrally heated thanks to the volcanic geothermal wells near town. You’ll never run out of hot water. It’s amazing.

Also, in the event of a nuclear attack, or outbreak of general war in Eastern Europe, due to its strategic location, you can expect Reykjavik to be one of the first areas to expect some sort of incoming fire.

Finally, due to the nation’s small population, there’s some sort of gene-mapping app that citizens have on their phones. They like check it before a potential meaningful one-night relationship just to be sure whenever copulating is in the cards, just to be sure they’re not going Deep South on each other. Rent a car, drive wherever and drink a few Einstöks to have a good time!

PatricksDad likes this.
  6. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

Brilliant travel guide! :beer:

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Why would I do that?

8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

That gene-mapping dating app's slogan should be "Don't West Virginia our gene pool"

Banditracer likes this.
  9. deathwagon

Out of curiosity, I just googled "States with the most inbreeding". The results were surprising. My apologies for tarnishing your good name, West Virginia.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Utah?

11. deathwagon

Nope. Consider the sheep population density and you'll get warmer.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Get ready to get ass-raped on the price of everything. 20$ beers anyone ? And their food is horrible.

britx303 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, not the slightest clue what state ahs a bunch of sheep in it sorry.

14. deathwagon

Plausible deniability? :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly not this time, I'm a little surprised I don't know the answer :crackup:

16. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

The Lautrabjarg Bird Cliffs is one of the most stunning vistas in Europe, but it is a bit of a drive. Snorkeling between the two tectonic plates is interesting, but if you are already certified, taking the dry suit class and doing it via SCUBA, is well, well worth the extra couple days of classes.

PatricksDad likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Never been to Iceland. But I married what turned out to be a glacier.

:crackup:

Photo, Sabre699 and PatricksDad like this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Kin-fucky has always been the inbred kind as far as I know. With Georgia, Alabama and other southeast states right behind.

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

hey Ute! TN is between KY and AL and GA… and my “Gettin Lucky in Kentucky” shirt didn’t mean your kin… the WV one that says “It’s All Relative in West Virginia” tells the story :D

besides I don’t care as we Tsalagi had few rules but one was that you couldn’t marry within your own clan…

it’s all the white ass euro mutts doing their own kin :crackup:

brex likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I went to Iceland in 2017, but it was in late January. Sunrise was around 11AM.

Airport is a long bus drive from town. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING ... is expensive.

Right before you leave, check on the status of volcano activity.

PatricksDad likes this.