1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2024 Daytona 200 aka Big D

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 11, 2024.

1. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

In this case Josh needs to be disqualified as well. If you go to the race on Moto America at 2 hours and 9 minutes his wife dumps water all in his leathers.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

But according to the regulation quoted in his letter of sanction, it says you can't add weight, including liquid to the motorcycle. It does not mention adding liquid to the rider. I agree with them that it needs clarification, but in the meantime, I think that a team/rider took advantage of an area not quite covered in the rules. I also agree with the letter of sanction that basically said you got away with it this time, but next year the rules will be clear.

younglion and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

If the rules don't say that a rider can't take in liquids until after he/she/it is weighed, he didn't get away with anything. Piss poor rules writing is not his fault. He should not have been sanctioned at all. And the rules should be amended before the next race, if it is that much of an issue.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

When you run someone over unintentionally, you go see him and apologize, simple as that. No one ever said it was intentional.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I ran over a guy's arm once. I just didn't have enough room to completely miss him. I went to check on him and he wanted to fight. Turns out he had a concussion that made him belligerent. He couldn't remember any of that entire afternoon after the fact.

6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

At a track day a long time ago, maybe 2008-ish I was following 2 pals, far too closely as it turns out.

My friend directly in front of me zigged hard right on a long straightaway and I was suddenly looking at my other pal, who was just ahead of him, tumbling up the hill/straightaway right on my line so I zigged left onto the grass and crashed to avoid running him over.

He had a concussion and other stuff like the obligatory broken collarbone but while at the track he insisted on no ambulance so he sat in our pits while the 2 of us tore down our area and loaded up the bikes/gear - my concussed pal was on a 90 second repeat loop - every minute or two he'd angrily ask "Hey, why are you loading up?" followed by "Hey, why is your (my) bike all wadded up?" to which we'd always reply "You crashed, then I crashed as to not run you over, we're taking you to the hospital to get checked out, just chill..."

HAPPIEST guy you ever wanna meet but in that condition he was ANGRY, mean, short-fused to say the least.

He also had no recall of it the next day...

For the record, he kindly offered to pay for my repairs which I declined and instead used it as a valuable learning tool - even tucked in grabbing 4th gear on a straightway shit can happen fast even when riding/racing with trusted friends/competitors.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

where is this written... OH, wait.. it's not, but anyone is an asshole if they don't go find this person, that they may not even know got injured, that they may not even be sure you hit, and all on a major race weekend, when you have 1000 other things going on.. got it.
    I agree it may be the right thing to go find someone after this happens, but as pointed out in the 2 posts above, you may be dealing with someone who's not rational after concussion.

And how about lets try and not flick one's self off their bike on the first lap, of the first practice, to put themselves in such a situation in the first place? anyone point this out yet?? all everyone want's to do is light the torches and grab pitchforks for the guy that may not even know he did anything wrong...

Boom, gixxerboy55 and cincigp like this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I suggest you go look at the footage and report back. There is no way the rider didn't know he hit something.
    Thanks for the advice on not crashing, that was very helpful.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"there's no way he didn't know he hit him".. here we go. more people claiming they can go inside the mind of others and KNOW what they know.
    i've seen the footage, i remember seeing it the moment it was broadcast during the race on MAlive, and commented on AC's post on FB when he initially made the post.

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Heal up Knee Dragger!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Nobody was DQd for drinking or dumping water on themselves after the race, but race control realized the regs were vague so warnings were issued. MA will let riders get some water in them after the race. The regs will be updated and riders will be allowed to consume approx 16 oz of water (.5L) prior to weigh in.

TurboBlew, MELK-MAN and CR750 like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So what? You man up and you take your chances. If he's too mad to talk, someone will remind him later that you tried to apologize.

Tas, KneeDragger_c69 and cha0s#242 like this.
  13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Devil's advocate here, is it possible he didn't know who he hit and/or once he found out, didn't know of a good way to make contact? Just a thought.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That use that to occur. Before social media. :D

Seriously, you ask a few questions, somebody's going to know someone who knows the guy you ran over.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

lol wat

Most of the time you say a lot of great things. This is not one of those times.

There are ways to seek out another rider involved in a track incident. Just gotta put in the effort.....which, unfortunately, sounds like some folks aren't willing to do.

So much for sportsman like conduct I suppose

Tas and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

When I had my first big crash it was my fault, I misjudged going underneath a guy and hit him. Both of us went down, he got some bumps and bruises, I got a broken collarbone, busted up shoulder and a ambulance ride. Happened Sat.morning, had surgery Sunday, got home that night. Monday morning I called the office at Shannonville, got the guy I hit's phone number, called him and apologized profusely.

Tas, KneeDragger_c69 and cha0s#242 like this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have run over people 3 times during my career, so far. I hit a friend of mine when he crashed in front of me at IRP and I had to pull up and hit him in the shoulder and broke his collarbone. I crashed, too. I ran over a guy that I had lapped on the last lap at Blackhawk when he stuffed it under me in turn 4 on the cool off lap. I ran over a guy on a GSXR 750 as he tried to stuff it under me in turn 5 during an endurance race when I was on a CBR600 as I had been passing him in the turns while he blasted past me on the straights. None of these crashes could have been avoided by me as poor decision making from the other guys created the situation right in front of me.
    I did not apologize to any of them as I had done nothing wrong. However, I did help pack up my friends stuff and helped make sure he got back safely. We chatted about it later but there was no apologies on anybodies part as it was just racing. If the other two racers had come and found me I would probably have accepted their apologies or explanations, except maybe not the clown that crashed me out on the cool off lap.

Boom likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

p.s. It doesn't always have to be a literal apology. Depending on the situation, it might just be checking on an idiot and making sure you didn't hurt them too bad regardless of fault. That's what I did the one time I ran over someone who crashed are right in front of me after his overinflated street tire broke loose underneath him. I couldn't immediately get to him as he was being handled and transported out but I found a number later and called the hospital.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  19. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

If anyone can comment on the subject with authority it's you. I remember the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach when I received the radio call in Tech after you were run over after the exit to T6 at Daytona. I remember how serious it was, and I remember impounding your bike and covering it with a tarp after it was brought to Tech. I remember closing the garage door to keep curious people out, and I remember the huge feeling of relief when we received updates on your condition. I miss seeing you at the track and hope one day I'll see you again.

TurboBlew, Boom, MELK-MAN and 6 others like this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

After checking out kneedragger's FB page linked above,
    I have to say I was a bit taken aback by the post(s) made
    by Dave Sadowski Jr. regarding standing up.
    It looked like Alex was unconscious anyway, but had he
    managed to stand up it could easily have been the last
    thing he ever did.
    And the guy who hit him looked right at him after the hit
    so he certainly knew he hit him. It's hard to say if he could
    have missed him so I wouldn't lay blame on him but he
    certainly could have gotten in contact later to at least show
    a little class. As HTTP said, a sportsman-like apology does
    not mean admitting fault, it's just the right thing to do.