1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 400 Solo2 mount

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cooter!, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Saturday night losers club means I'm all alone in the garage (yay!) and since first round starts in 2 weeks, theres plenty work to do on the Backmarker Racing League bikes. Step one is to finally install that Solo 2!

I'm a tall guy on that little bike
    Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 12.44.30 PM.png
    so the typical upper triple mount was going to leave it just below my chin and well out of my peripheral vision. Besides that, I have the front set so high up, I couldn't use a fork tube clamp either.

I took the windscreen and dash off, put a little grease on the mounting tabs of the dash, pressed it against some scrap aluminum plate to mark the locations of the holes and connector.
    Drilled the three 5/8" grommet holes, roughly band-sawed the outer shape, and cut the hole for the connector.
    A couple test fits and a 10* bend had this:
    [​IMG]
    I used the dash grommets to sandwich the plate on top of the dash mount bracket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cooter!

Bolted the Solo2 bracket on:
    [​IMG]
    and popped on the unit:
    [​IMG]

Of course nothings tested until its tested... but I couldn't be happier! It was easy enough to hand fab one, but in hindsight I should have just drew it out on the plasma table. Hope I never need to replace it though...
    The last pic is from the top the gas cap, below my eye level when I'm flat on the tank and isn't anywhere in my focus, but for SURE in my old guy limited peripheral. Headed for that elusive 2:00 at Buttonwillow!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    BrentA likes this.
  3. Cooter!

4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Not bad. Have you test-ridden it at speed yet? I mounted mine around the ignition keyhole using this product I got from Jerry and Dave at 419 racing. Easiest install using 5 zip ties and solidly secured; this baby isn't going anywhere.

[​IMG]

JJJerry likes this.
  5. Cooter!

Thank you:)
    Key hole? I thought those were for the fork leg, so I couldn't use it because my forks are set so high (low in the upper triple) theres no leg left to grip, and still mounts little lower and would be outside my peripheral more than I'd like.

But honestly the 419 piece is a great solution, and for $50 I think very reasonably priced! I'm going to buy one for Bubbles Ninja because she's much shorter, so her eye-line is lower, and she has the stock windscreen on her bike too, so my solution wouldn't work for hers.

JJJerry likes this.
  6. DmanSlam

It can go around a fork leg if you have enough fork tube showing. But, then, it's off to the side. There's a ring around the key ignition module (or whatever it's called). The 419 product will sit on top of that ring and you can throw zip ties over the 419 product and in the gap between the ignition module and the ring around it. It does not block the instrument cluster; not enough to notice.

upload_2024-2-5_22-18-42.png

7. Cooter!

That lip is 41mm like the forks? Wow, thats not much of a lip for me to trust without a ton of safety wire, lol. I could copy Graves solution as well (bolted underneath the triple) but leave a relief for the key switch. I'll post up here if I do. Thanks for the info!

I have a Woodcraft key delete for her, but she 'likes having the key'? Oh well, choose my battles right?:crackup:

8. DmanSlam

Don't be a cooter. :) Here's a pic for attention. Everything mounts up nicely. The 419 mount isn't clamped around anything. I borrowed this idea from another 400 racer.

ninja400-aims-solo2-419-mount.jpg

9. Cooter!

Ahh, Thanks for that pic! The placement looks like it would be pretty perfect for her.

10. DmanSlam

I forgot to mention. I also safety-wired the unit (in two places) on the underside so that, should all the zip ties break (unlikely), the lap timer barely falls downward. It just hangs against the front of the ignition switch. Confirmed via static-testing.

11. Cooter!

Smart. I mount want to be the guy wandering the desert looking for expensive bits after a run off....

12. DmanSlam

Yep. The yellow tape around the side of the timer (and on the back) is for visibility in that very situation.

13. Cooter!

Oo! I'm gonna copy that idea and then tell everyone how smart I am:rolleyes:

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

I made a 3D printed one that bolts through the triple tree stem. Was solid enough for this season and I just run some safety wire from the aim screw around the top triple clamp for insurance. It is a hair of a pain to first install with the front fender on but once it’s set it’s clean and clears the key as well.

IMG_2874.jpeg

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. DmanSlam

So you have to remove the front fender (and wheel) in order to obtain space for the tool you're using?

16. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

No you just have to use a short and a long extension, and put them together as you’re inserting it into the bottom of the triple, but if I were making it a production part I wouldn’t want to complicate installation like that.

DmanSlam likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I like RAM mounts for this use, more flexibility with the ball+socket to adjust the angle of the display. But if the 419 guys make one for your specific bike it's a safe bet it'll work well.

JJJerry likes this.
  18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Depending on the fork size, we have our under-mount meant for tall geometery. It's a 2-piece clamp that clamps to the fork under the clip-on, and uses a riser to mount the solo:
    https://419racing.com/product/aim-s...-mount-41mm-forks-under-triple-under-clip-on/

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Jerry

19. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

20. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

does the standard mount piece that holds the aim unit hold up in a crash? Like the black piece that ships with it? Or does it send the unit on a trip into orbit?