1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Van thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 14, 2023.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my buddy just got this sweet ride...
    [​IMG]
    He has some rough layout ideas and an April appointment for it to be built out with a murphy bed, basic plumbing, holding tanks, & cabinets. Its the high roof long version so about 80" of cargo area height.

britx303 and evakat like this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

My thoughts on the sienna is, it’s something I can still use as regular transportation from time to time. Or also if I finally get a trailer, the sienna or similar can haul more people to the track as well. Hoping to get to the dealers I’ve found them at today, if I’ve got time.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So until you get a trailer you're going to put a bike in the sienna? If it fits it will surely suck to cram it and all your crap into

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I saw a photo of a minivan converted to be wheel chair accessible from the back door and instead of a wheel chair, a motorcycle fit a real treat. Of course you need stands, gear, tools etc too, but it looked interesting.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Doesn’t fit inside………measured at the dealer a little bit ago:D

DRye likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm going to go the Chrysler Pacifica route because the rear seats fold into the floor. I'll use a Joe Hauler for the bike, so I have room for gear and can still sleep in the van without having to unload the bike. Will pull double duty as my skydiving weekend crash pad.

Kevgentile and britx303 like this.
  7. Kevgentile

Kevgentile Well-Known Member

I'm going the hitch carrier route too. Easily stored away. no more trailer storage space issues and no more rentals. It all adds up after a few years.
    Doing an "overlander" build out in the 100 series Lx 470/land cruiser, lots of room for camping and storage. Plus the AHC suspension is awesome at dealing with the hitch load. Throwing in some Airlift 1000 rear bags as precaution.

Mine will be built from scratch with additional hitch tubing to reduce flex/twist, sag, and take some load off the primary hitch. Basically a "three link" set-up.
    Of course also designed to utilize my pit bull trs. I'm heading to Nola from DC this week and had plan on building it tomorrow but pressed for time so will knock it out later.

Once a Wanker.. and motion like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You likely know this, but that hitch on the Pacifica isn't built to hold a motorcycle on a hauler.

That tongue weight is gonna have you popping wheelies (until the receiver/frame fails, obviously).

Spooner likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

FACK!!!!!

So what is the solution? Metris?

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

These would be your launch control/anti-wheelie solution, but to get the frame strong enough to carry ~800 pounds you're going to need to enlist a welding buddy.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Su...aravan/2020/TDVRRT.html?VehicleID=20201009080

A lot of the RV forums have people who've picked undersized tow vehicles and then beefed them up at specialty shops (the Honda Odyssey is pretty common).

If you want a vehicle that can handle the hitch carrier from the factory and you can also lay the seats down in, I'd look at a used Tahoe or Suburban - you'd want a body on frame SUV (less and less popular these days) with seats that lie down. Other option would be a 4Runner, Durango, etc.

motion likes this.
  11. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to post pictures, but the files are too big to upload… DM me and I’m happy to share, if you haven’t already built one out, ha. Or if anyone else is curious

12. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Coooooomeee to me...

Attached Files:

motion likes this.
  13. Tristan

Kind of casually looking at vans again...
    Any experience with the 4.0 v6 in the full size Nissan vans?

14. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Y
    You said Nissan....

15. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I've shared mine in another thread, I think. I love my sprinter. It's a 2019 V6 Turbo Diesel, 170"WB Extended High Roof.
    I don't have things very neatly organized or optimized in any way, but it gets the job done. Driving it is a pleasure. Feels like driving something much smaller than it is, until a strong crosswind gets you. Fuel mileage is excellent, 20-22mpg.

Couple pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beac83, motion, buzz-06 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tristan

Yeah, wouldn't touch any Nissan car but heard ok things about the Titan which is the basis of the vans

17. Tristan

If only Toyota would import a sprinter equivalent...

Spooner and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Looks too tight in there to sleep alongside the bike? Any idea if Metris' had a tow option that would support a joe hauler?

SundaySocial likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I hear what you're saying, but I'm really hoping for something that's comfortable inside and gets 25mpg.