1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk Me Out of This Honda

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I appreciate all the detail, and certainly agree with your diagnosis (you obviously have the experience). But, a water-cooled, desmo-valve engine with a digital touch-screen dash and huge electronics suite (TC, anti-lock brakes, etc.) is about as complicated as a twin-shock, air-cooled bike with simple gauges and carbs? My old GSX-R has never been in a shop, my newer European stuff is hard to do much with other than changing the oil. Even bleeding the brakes on some of these gets complex.

Not that I'm not a fan of the new stuff, it is just that it seems you need a dealer close by for a lot of them, and that isn't as much of an option up in "the hills".

A nice sweet spot may be something like a CB1100Ex (prices seem high) or the previously mentioned FZ1 (haven't checked). Neither have the cache of a vintage bike, but I already have one of those, so guess I could live with that.

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

If you want stone axe simple, two up riding, and good power, the answer is ZRX.

turner38 and JBall like this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

This. I picked up an '04 1200 a couple of years ago (8k miles and minty fresh...I stole it). Surprisingly comfortable, even 2-up. Very much like my 1982 ELR, but with quite a bit more power.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Loved that bike ever since I took a quick spin on yours. Awesome bike.

BrentA likes this.
  5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I get it, no doubt. I want to get a new bike, but after getting a 2021 and riding some even newer stuff, my older 2015 is about as techno as I want.

But don't forget the other old bike fun that you won't have with the newer bike like the accelerator pump going flaky, jetting being off, requiring a nearly full disassembly to get the airbox out then switching to K&N pods that get wet and kill drivability in rain, the speedo cable core falling out going down the highway when it unscrews from the speedo housing, balancer screw falling out resulting in a burnt valve, timing chain in the middle requiring a full case split to replace, (moving on to more recent old bike experience FZR400) the tach starting to bounce around due to the little coil in tach breaking, not being able to find a tach, getting a good looking tach from a "reputable guy" that is even deader, no pistons, valves, carb gaskets, carb diaphragms, emulsion tubes, fuel pumps, brake master rebuilds, body pieces, etc. etc.

Now, if I had real money, I might buy one of those new CB1100's and customize to 1983 styling.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

That is definitely in my sights. But around here, can't find a nice one at a reasonable price as mentioned by others. A fair amount of sketchy modifications as well. They have been considered kind of outside of my target because they are on the pricey side and pushing a number of new bikes. Would probably travel around the SE for a really nice one. It doesn't even have to be green (although I'll take one)!

I rode one (an overseas model with a fairing but still the same bike) for an entire IOM trip and tour through the UK with two of us and bags. So plenty of experience with them to know that they are good bikes. Only thing I would have changed on that one would be new rear shocks, as the ones that were on there were not up to (adjustable to) that load so it was kinda of "bouncy" at times.

7. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

There's a pretty nice looking one in east Florida on fb marketplace

8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I paid $3,800 for an '04 with 8k miles.. it was minty clean, had a nice yosh can on it. A couple of small scratches on the tank but really nothing. I have no idea why the guy let it go that cheap, as I could easily sell it for double at this point. They've definitely gone up in the last 2 years. You definitely want a 1200 though, as the 1100 didn't really run as well.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Howdy Rick.

He asked us to talk him out of buying it…
    We still have a couple of old 1100F Hondas floating around here. Getting them back in usable condition is pretty low on my list of things to do at the moment right now though.
    They have their hood traits also, he didn’t ask for them though…

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

There are two of them out in the garage. Neither one are going anywhere as long as I’m alive.

Attached Files:

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Point taken.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Pricing is all over the place for these bikes. In the fall I saw several clean 1200's around Atlanta that were around $4000. There were one or two immaculate examples that were asking $6500ish. I do think they are finally getting the respect they always deserved but didn't have for a lot of years. I've had mine for almost 20 years now and I don't see it leaving my shop any time soon.

13. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

CB 750, 900F are good bikes. If you look at the nature of human beings, we will always find flaw/s in everything even something brand new.
    Now CB's are nice bikes and will / would do perfectly what you wanted them to do which is cruising two up on mountain road.
    Carbs are not terribly hard to work on and all the issues with them can be curbsided by draining the fuel out of them if not ridden for a while, also use of fuel stabilizer helps as well as it does with moder machines. All bikes / vehicles need maintenance and occasional repair, this bike is not an exception.
    I purchased CB750F and brought it back to life, in all honesty I love the bike, considering age it does everything to my satisfaction.
    If you want one and find nice clean example for not much money go for it!?

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, missing out there, but not getting a Facebook account, so just have to suffer the slings and arrows. However... I did see that same bike on the cycle trader website and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Of course, literally popped up after I said I couldn't find one at a reasonable price! :rolleyes:

chobes and Razr like this.
  15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

There are some nice bits on that bike. The engine cages and rack are nice. Seat looks like a Mr. Wog custom rework of the stock seat. Fork brace. Kerker bolt on. And that carbon hugger looks like a Compton Cycles part.

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Please tell us more about these 1100F's. :D

17. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Sold my ZRX to a friend for like $2500 a couple years ago. Great bikes for the money, IMO.
    There are just a few issues with them that you need to be aware of, then you're fine.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Well, I'm not very good at this stuff now-a-days. After getting details on the bike and saying I was serious and coming to get it this morning, I called today to get the address and it got sold out from under me this morning. I should have put a deposit or something down on it, but that never came up as an option. I work for a living and can't run out, cash in hand, when something is available.

Two down. Any to go? Not sure I still want to play in today's used bike market.

19. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Here is one in Louisville - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1075065953510326/

For those who don't want to go on FB - 2002 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 26K Miles - Beautifully Maintained, no issues or blemishes I had considered a part out due to value of everything, but would just couldn't allow the perfect bike to be taken apart. Over $6K in receipts. Not interested in trades. Located near Louisville KY. Delivery available with deposit. Carrozzeria Forged Wheels Ohlins Rear Suspension- Racetech Front Slipper Clutch Installed Galfer Rotors Sargent Saddle K&N Pods- jetted perfectly Tsukigi Racing Full Exhaust ASV Levers, Powedercoated Rear hangers Swingarm Braced and Powdercoated Includes orginal factory cowl with Zero Gravity windscreen, along with extra factory sprung front forks, and factory wheels and brakes.

[​IMG]

20. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

A free handling mod for the ZRX... flip the rear axel eccentric adjuster. Raises the rear and turns in so much better.

[​IMG]

Sabre699 and cha0s#242 like this.