1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capit Tire warmers

Discussion in 'General' started by motorkas, Aug 15, 2020.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

let me know what happens. Mine looks just like that.

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

From past experience, gonna bet CapIt tells you it was user error, and say the warmer was folded over on itself while plugged in.
    They will reference the burned areas and how they look almost identical, which they claim is a fold while plugged in burn through. o_O

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

It definitely WAS user error. I just want them fixed if they can. I’ll pay for it with no problems.

4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Ah OK. I've never seen them fix situations like that but just offer a replacement. Cost more to ship to and from Italy than a new warmer.
    But see what they say for sure.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I have the same style set I'd be willing to sell if it's too cost prohibitive to get it fixed or sorted. I'd prefer to sell both and not just the rear. Used for maybe 4-5 race weekends.

Trainwreck likes this.
  6. Trainwreck

I'll keep this in mind. I really really liked them in the short time i was able to to use the rear. Now im using a woodcraft rear and CapIt front. lol I have devised a new "system" to stop me from leaving them plugged in. Which consists of me draping both power cables over the seat of the bike. So I actually have to handle the plugs to get onto the motorcycle. Which in turn should remind me to just unplug them. Seemed to work well at Grattan this weekend.

I have also thought about modifying the CapIt's to where they have another plug/receptacle right at the warmer. However, I think my first option should work fine.

Wheel Bearing and BrentA like this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

That's the downside to Woodcraft's....not really a downside to the warmers themselves, but the 'habit' that gets created when you exclusively use them. You use normal warmers and have a tendency to leave them plugged in.

I stole my friends system years ago and it works great. Use a 3 way splitter, both warmers plug into the splitter. Extension cord plugs into the splitter (duh), and the cord/splitter hangs on the foot peg.

Only requires removal of one plug each time instead of fucking with both warmers. More importantly, it allows me to have a VISUAL verification when I unplug that cord and make a conscious effort to lay it several feet away from the bike. Not only does that prevent me from stepping/tripping on the cord, there is no question if the warmers are unplugged.

I see guys using power strips or even receptacle outlets with an on/off switch...no way. It is way too easy to inadvertely bump a switch on those.

backho and Trainwreck like this.
  8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I feel attacked.:D

9. Wheel Bearing

Thankfully it wasn't a lesson I had to personally learn, but saw a friend cook a set of his warmers after the rocker switch on his power strip got bumped. Convenience ain't worth the risk...

10. Trainwreck

So let this be a reminder... UNPLUG YOUR WARMERS. lol

Greg informed me about 2 weeks ago that my warmer is a total loss. The entire electrical system was compromised.

They gave me a $25 discount on a replacement rear warmer... which still came out to a solid $700 (free shipping though!) I was initially just gunna say fuck it and order a new set from WRS.it as that is where I got the first set, and they are only about $990 shipped.. But it took them 2 months last time, and i just want to move on.

Also I had realized a I had a few hundred bucks in my PayPal account from selling a bunch of Pirelli take offs to a kid who just got into the Advanced group track day stuff..

All in all... I'd buy another set. I don't have any remorse. These are the best warmers I have ever used, everything that happened was 100% my fault. Greg at CapIt does seem to work on his own time. Although, I cant speak for how busy he is at all, but we went weeks without any sort of progress. However, I do have to say that anytime there was a lull in communication from him, I'd fire off an email and he always got back to me within 24-48 hours.

New warmer should be here in time for WERA at Grattan, and I've already written "UNPLUG ME!" in the front warmer with paint marker, and will be doing the same to the rear lol.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  11. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

I just learned to unplug my warmers the hard way too. Ugh. Greg has been great to deal with though. Hopefully my warmers can be repaired….

12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the single-temp versions of the Maxima and Suprema warmers? I've googled the heck out of this, and can't find any info on why the Maxima seems to be about $200 more than the Suprema. From looking at pictures, the coverage seems to be the same.

13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

this has always been a issue forever. i dont understand why warmers brands dont make a kill switch connection on them like Woodcraft does

AC1108 and Capit Americas like this.
  14. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

FYI, this is what Capit Italy said is the difference:

"the Maxima has a spherical shape, a special textile construction.
    Maxima has 16 lateral clips that allows to perfectly follow the shape of the tyre and it covers the tyre's shoulder."

15. Capit Americas

Capit Americas Capit Americas

Hey Everyone. Capit Americas here.
    There are a few additional differences that Italy may not have explained.

When they say "spherical Shape" and the "Lateral Clips"

Those are what we call Relief Points in the fabric. All of the Maxima, Full Zone and Full Control types of warmers have these relief points sewn in. They are done by hand on each warmer to allow the fabric to hug the tire more closely and to also take the shape of the tire as well.

The Fabric is also extend further over the shoulder or edge of the tire, as well as the going further down over the rim. This is to help hold in more heat and act in a small way, as protection on the rim.

The heating element in the Maxima has a much faster rate of heat up, and also there is more length of element inside the warmer. The Ratio of coil is about 12:1 in the Maxima compared to 8:1 in the Suprema.

The cost difference is in the upgraded and tighter woven heating element inside the warmer, as well as the assembly of the warmer. While the "Relief Points" are visual, the remainder of the warmer is also assembled differently due to the varied construction of the warmer structure.

The Maxima warmer was previously Capit's top tier warmer. Elements of the Maxima helped to develop the new version of Full Zone and Full Control. Both of these warmers have integrated rim warming on either a single channel or dual channel configuration.

G2G and Badger911GT3 like this.
  16. Capit Americas

Hope that helps a little!

17. Capit Americas

It's a very good point. Capit offers a "Quick Disconnect" option that can be installed at time of purchase, or even sometime after a purchase is made. CAPIT, the manufacturer does not install these at time of production due to some liability issues that have been experienced. They do offer a quick connect system in the LEO version of the CAPIT product line. This is usually what are seen with GP Level, Formula 1, Factory and National level teams. However, they are available for consumers as well. Just a little more involved with equipment and set up.

18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

thank you for the explanation. it seems a very common problem for club level customers burning their warmers because they were rushing to get on pit and they (or their crew) forgot to unplug them. companies like Woodcraft have had this simple quick connect for about 15 years. i would think it's a safer option than the number of burnt warmers i've seen in the paddock.

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

@Capit Americas have you seen the digital display going bad on the visions? one of mine lost a section of the number, so my 8's now look like 9's. this warmer was at Vegas for inspection for another issue about 2 years ago. is the display something that can be fixed without being a costly repair?

20. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Do the Maxima/Vision warmers use more energy than the Suprema ones since they have more/tighter woven heating elements? I am assuming they will heat up quicker, but I am more concerned about wattage once they are holding temp. Capit's website says the Supremas require 700 watts for a 120/180 setup.