1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airtech closing shop

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Feb 16, 2024.

1. RS_NX5

RS_NX5 To finish first you must first finish - Ski

I'd love to go and buy a few sets, bit short on cash rn...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Critter

Critter Registered

"I crashed my bike 15 times and the bodywork held up great" Those that know, know....That's my Kent Ritches story

Brad and Stumpy like this.
  3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Maybe but the only bloke who might want them already has nearly everything.

https://www.raggededgeracing.com/

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LOL yeah I think its a west coast thing... generally, if you crash your bike on a west coast track, your bike and your gear are pretty much gone. Kent's bodywork is nice and thick to help with that.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Hey @ghetto customs , why don’t you expand your bodywork empire and pick up some of the Airtech tooling if it’s available?

03RumbleBee and 418 like this.
  6. Critter

Critter Registered

Nice reply, but only the older guys on here that are close to me will get that one....

Brad and motion like this.
  7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

That thick Airtech body work sucked imo. I used to have their hexcell on my TZ in the mid 90's. I think it was mid 80's bodywork. Anyway it was like Sharskinz became, nice and flexable and thin.
    Then I bought another set for a GSXR becauser that hexcell was so nice. It was the thick ass non flexible crap and I only bought Airtech from then on for vintage bike builds.

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Where is their physical address?
    Wonder how big their warehouse of molds and tooling is???

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I remember when the AFM would make you go away for a while if you crashed more than x times in a season

racer_11 likes this.
  11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That was stupid, crash twice in same season and you sit home next race. Think they changed later to if both crashes are in practice you sit practice, but can race. Which is even more stupid :)
    You are considered dangerous rider if you crash twice same season. I got hit by this rule in 97. My first year with AFM was 96, 0 crashes and won championship. Next year (97) I had one crash at beginning of season and one later in season, just low sides by myself. Had to sit following race weekend. Weekend after that I am no dangerous any more and could race again :)

12. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

I think that was the Jeff Hagan rule? Dude had some big ones! I dunno if the throttle stuck or what, but before they put the Nascar chute in between 4 and 7 at Sonoma you were facing a wall of dirt as you went in there. IIRC Hagan's bike went up the wall, over the fence, over the spectators and landed behind them...luckily.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I forget the name of the race steward back then. Man I hated her. Always looking for trouble with the Los Angeles people like me.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

But yet the same club would allow you to practice your start procedure/hole shots in the opposite direction on pit out? Gotta love the land of fruit and nuts!

ToofPic likes this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

There was a time when they had a 250 Ninja class with HUGE grids and everyone was trying to race every weekend. So to dismiss the squids they put in the crash and you're gone for a while clause?

16. TWF2

No, that was not reason. Every class had big grids back then, they had wait list. You enter but it does not mean you will race, even if you leading in class points :)
    Problem was expert and novice were gridded together, no separate races. That made grids big and limit was 75.
    I hated their rule book, reason I stopped racing with them.

17. TWF2

She is still there if you want to make comeback :)

HPPT, Once a Wanker.. and motion like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

After the post I just made, I doubt I would be allowed anywhere near AFM :)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I just received notification that a seat I ordered from Air Tech a couple of months ago is on the way. I guess he is still filling the orders he has

20. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Gave me a flashback to Sunday afternoons long ago. The f4 that wouldn't die!:crackup: