1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK | ROUND 01 | Grand Ridge Brewery Australian Round | 23 - 25 FEB

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Feb 19, 2024.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

One the fake books people were saying there may be a mandatory pit stop or shorten race because of the tires.

motion likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Phillip Island
    New pavement
    A left hander that goes on for a week, yep there may be a pit stop

PatricksDad likes this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Amen !
    Hoping everyone stays healthy; this could be an epic season.

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Let's hope they all know how to count to 10....

SundaySocial likes this.
  5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Marky mark knew how to count to 10 but the red mist clouded his judgement. Mandatory pit stops will make this a very interesting weekend, basically two full bore sprint races now.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Tires are not to be used more than 11 laps (10 for WSSP!). Wow.

7. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Isn’t it going to be more like 5 sprint races?

prm likes this.
  8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Supersport FP live now.
    Season has begun!

henry_carlson and lopitt85 like this.
  9. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

@HPPT are you still rockin with the gmt94 team? if so, good luck this season!

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

GG has been on the struggle bus down under.

grapemustard likes this.
  11. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

first session was a write off for most.

Circacee likes this.
  12. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Alex and Sam Lowes look great out there. Locatitties with the new lap record.

13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I read something on RRW & MT about all racers having 'a fixed time in the pit lane.' Can someone explain what this means? Do they all get a couple minutes to change their tires, perhaps?

· Pit-stop window: in both classes the riders will have a three-lap window in which to change tyres, with a fixed time in the pit lane. In WorldSBK the window will be between laps 9 and 11 while in WorldSSP between laps 8 and 10. It is mandatory for all riders to change the rear tyre while they will be able to decide whether or not to replace the front tyre also based on the tyres each rider has remaining.

From: https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...tops-added-races-shortened-at-phillip-island/

14. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

i mean, they did break the all time lap record. it was a fast session and GG is way down the order. he was down the order in the test too. it's a fast bunch he's up against. hoping he finds some pace and doesn't end up in a situation that'll knock his confidence and set him back.

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Good thing Garrett and Toprak aren't on those slow Yamaha's anymore.
    :Pop: :beer:

prm likes this.
  16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

This is shaping up to be an amazing opening weekend!! :D

motion likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

This isn't endurance racing, so they want the rider's speed to be the determining factor, not how fast the team can change the tires. For that reason and for safety, they have a minimum pit intervention time that will allow all the teams to safely change the tires in that amount of time. Someone on the team will start a stopwatch when the bike comes to a stop. The team will change the tires. The rider will be held there until X seconds elapse to level the playing field and make sure the tire changes are not rushed which could result in not getting something right and a rider crashing.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think Garrett and his teammate both blew motors early in the test day. Think that's why he had so few laps and is still behind.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Sam Lowes gonna throw down some shockers if he’s not in the gravel. FP2 was interesting to say the least with A Lowes wheeling that turd into 1st. Remy actually might end up being the top Yam rider this year. Crazy times indeed.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks.
    Yeah, I'm afraid I'm a lifer. Even when I lie to myself and decide to take a step back because I'm not in agreement with the strategy, I answer when they call. It's hard to say no to your friends.

SundaySocial, motion, cBJr and 3 others like this.