1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary Car Tags in Alabama (or Maryland)

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Fellas...

I'm most likely going to Alabama soon to pick up a used car from an individual. Does anyone know how/where I can pick up a temp tag for my drive back to Maryland?

Their website is even worse than Maryland's DMV, and Maryland basically seems like I have to have the title to get one here, except I'm going to GET the car (and title) so clearly that's not a thing.

Honestly IDGAF except to try and avoid state troopers in VA. Its been probably 20 years since I bought a car or motorbike that I couldn't just either get home with a truck/trailer, or get from a dealer. I don't remember what I did last time. Thanks.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'd just drive w/ a hand written 'temp tag' or something... be sure you have your proof of insurance, bill of sale, and signed over title to you and if you do get pulled over it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Sweatypants

wait sorry... Louisiana. i'm losing my mind.

but yea i was 50/50 on doing that.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

5. Sweatypants

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Sure, write that handwritten tag and slap it on there. While you're at it, budget for a few thousand $$$ in towing fees when they impound it for being completely unregistered and depending which state you're driving it thru, bail money for yourself.

BrentA likes this.
  7. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I-10 down here is the land of "in tow". Mexicans will bolt together a train of 2 or 3 Japanese shit boxes with nothing but the "in tow" written in duct tape on the caboose. Never seen one pulled over.

ducrcr likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I see these from time to time, heading south on I-85 leaving Atlanta. Always at night as well. I just wonder how far away their destination is, and how do they make any revenue from the vehicles in tow.

Dragginass likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Normally, I thought you got the temp tags from your home state where you're returning to and will ultimately be registering the vehicle in?

10. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I think it just depends on the state and the process, cost can play a role as well. PA for instance is super easy to get a temp tag but it is relatively expensive. NY on the other hand is cheap but a pain to get. Living right in the border the ease of dealing with a PA notary always wins out over the PIA NY dmv regardless of cost.

11. thrak410

I really don't see that happening if you have a bill of sale and title dated 'today' ....

Dragginass likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I do.

You think any state between Cajunsvania and Shittypants’ front door give half a shit about what it costs YOU when you flout the laws?

You are nothing but a pocket to be picked as you cross from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Sweatypants likes this.
  13. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

put it on a trailer or get the seller to leave the plate on it and ship it back

Shenanigans likes this.
  14. thrak410

Maybe up north... down here I doubt it.... just take a tag with you and don't get pulled over then.

Buncha pansies up in here lately :p

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I don’t think he’s coming down to buy an orange Dodge Charger with an 01 painted on the side…

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vast majority of cops along the way will be fine if you've got the bill of sale and/or title with you. Personally I'd make sure both are in the car with me.

Sweatypants likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Usually one of them has a dealer tag on it somewhere.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Revenue is easy, they pick up total crap at auction for nothing and sell them at buy here/pay here lots - a downpayment and one or two monthly payments from the suckers pays what the car cost them. Everything else is profit including when they repo it and resell it a half dozen times before it totally dies and gets scrapped.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you have that problem in the south the common factor is the problem and that ain't the cops :crackup:

Dragginass likes this.
  20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

In Alabama, the preferred solution to this problem is to obtain a drive out tag from a used car dealer after midnight. This method buys you about four years, but eventually the tag curls up and becomes illegible.

Sweatypants likes this.