1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The destination charge is for getting the finished product to your door. I would surmise two things: Acura may use a higher end service to transport their vehicles (more paint protection, enclosures, etc.). Acura is a luxury brand and can get away with charging more. Probably more of the latter than the former.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Not a "Sports Car" in the normal sense.. But, a guy at work just picked up one of those Volvo V60 Recharge wagons. It's pretty badass. 450ish HP has electric motors powering the rear wheels, can go 40ish miles on electric alone. 0-60mph in like 4.5 seconds or something. I think it looks awesome.

I've been kinda hunting around for a fun 4 door or wagon, I'm tired of driving my giant diesel truck everywhere.. I live 9 miles away from my employer, so just driving to work everyday on electric sounds neat lol. Also its a wagon and I can throw a bunch of bullshit in the back for the kid/wife etc. lol

I prolly won't buy one due to the $70K price tag, and the plethora of other vehicles that would check all the boxes I'm looking for. However, these things weren't even on my radar until last week.

Been eying used Macans, Cayenne's, SQ5's X5's and some of the AMG Merc SUV things. Porsche is still at the top of the list. I've driven a few of the Cayenne's.. Turbo version, the GTS and the Diesel one. Liked them all. Need to drive a Macan next.

Anyway, back to Boxter's and Miata's...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    BigBird likes this.
  3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

[​IMG]

Trainwreck likes this.
  4. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

God damn, incredible how I did it twice. I might look stupid, but i'm actually an idiot.

grapemustard, bleacht and thrak410 like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Love a fast wagon! Totally take that over any crossover/SUV type vehicle

6. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i tell ya what i was at a light with last week that surprised me! i am sitting there in my camaro, cam thumpin, open exhaust , turbo whistlin, cru playing...next to me was a genesis gv60 suv...the light turned green and he took off!!! i mean...i was watching like DAMN i didnt expect that! not a sound either lol (not that i would hear much over mine ). 12.1 quarter mile times for those things apparently. keep you on your toes lol

BigBird likes this.
  7. rwdfun

rwdfun

My current daily and winter-beater vehicle is on it's last legs. I'm pretty sure I've driven it into the ground. Finally time to bite the bullet and get a new (to me) vehicle. Figured there is enough "diversity" here to get varied opinions.

My dead horse is a 2011 Jeep Liberty. Only has 165K but I never really treated it nicely. Bought it in very good condition with 80K for $10K in 2016 and not sure I expected to keep it this long but it kept going. Been thinking of all the cool new vehicles out there but since I already have a sports car and a diesel van, I sort of settled on a similar SUV platform. I don't mind the roughish ride but do like the size and configuration. It has decent enough power when you floor it and being so short I've been able to squeeze through traffic nicely. It seems most new (non-car) vehicles are significantly longer and I'm thinking the shorter length is a higher priority than some other things.

Not sure I like the Wrangler dimensions or interior. I'm now trending toward a Bronco. Seems like a 2021 Sport can be had for mid $20k with around 30k miles. It has almost identical dimensions and similar HP/TQ to weight ratio, even with a 1.5L 3 cyl. However, I am not sure which of Ford's Ecoboost engines have good/bad reputations these days. Also seeing the HP numbers are based on using premium fuel and I'd really prefer to buy regular pump. Lastly, while $25k is very attractive, a new 2024 Sport is starting at $30k. Not as much depreciation as I would hope.

OK go, give me good and bads with the Bronco and better alternatives.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Bronco and Bronco Sport are entirely different vehicles that share nothing but the name. The Bronco Sport is a costume-wearing Escape.
    And there is a big recall on them right now that Ford hasn't really fixed yet.

9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

A possible luxury alternative - 2013-15 Mercedes GLK 350. But requires premium fuel.

Did your Liberty have the 3.7 engine?

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

I wondered that. I usually like the higher end trims but that will put me well into the $30ks which may be where I end up or higher if I end up buying new. What’s the recall doing if not to fix the issue? Seems like I can do some dealing on them. Any idea if the regular Bronco is a good buy? To be honest, I’m OK with Escape underpinnings if they are robust. I’m not off-roading the thing and I think the looks and interior space are more to my liking than an Escape

Yes, a weak 210HP/230TQ in a truck weighing over 2 tons. Although that’s light now a days for a truck. Bronco sport weighs less at 3600lbs but the engine is weaker.

Tell me more about the Merc. 2013-15 may be older than I really want to go and when Mercs break I don’t get the feeling they are cheap to fix or home mechanic friendly.

11. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

For the size you are looking for, Mazda CX5. If you want some extra zip get the turbo. But even the standard 2.5L is an excellent engine.

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

CX-50 or CX-5. Turbo if you want the extra boost.

Ranked #1 in recent Car and Driver vs 8 other similar sized vehicles. Once you drive a Mazda, there's not much else that drives as well. They usually have great deals on new ones as well.

13. rwdfun

rwdfun

The irony of mentioning Mazda. My GF had manual Mazda 3 for years and love, love loved it. I thought it was OK powered but with a manual you could wring it's neck to get it to go. She bought a CX-30 in 2020. She got the top of the line model so the thing looks nice with all the bells and whistles but, is the worst driving piece of shit I have ever gotten behind the wheel of. The engine is weak as shit and what power it has goes through an automatic transmission that doesn't know what it's doing. 99% of the time when you want to go it hesitates, no joking, 2-3 seconds before accelerating. It's actually pretty dangerous and I'm not sure how they've avoided a NHTSA investigation. Then once you finally let off the pedal, it holds the gear for a few seconds before shifting, thus engine braking and taking away much of the speed you finally built. Given how poorly Mazda executed the CX-30, you'd have to put a gun to my head to buy another Mazda. I used to respect their "mission" but that went down the drain with a single model.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

well the cx-30 was really a mazda2 on stilts. you could test drive the Mazdas for free and see how you feel again.

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

We have had 2 CX5s. Both bought new. 2016 that I never put a dime into other than tires, brakes and 1 wheel bearing. Sold it at 120,000 miles. Now have a 2024 Signature turbo. The great thing about Mazda is they haven't adopted the CVT transmissions. So the 6spd they use has been around forever and works.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

A daily/beater is $25K now??? May I suggest something slightly more substantial and better in every way but MPG? 4Runner (I much prefer the V8 option years), Lexus GX460/470, or FJ Cruiser

case in point- https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/711284527? city=Newark&listingType=USED&makeCode=LEXUS&makeCode=TOYOTA&modelCode=FJCRUIS&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fnewark-oh%3FmakeCode%3DLEXUS%26makeCode%3DTOYOTA%26modelCode%3DFJCRUIS%26newSearch%3Dtrue%26seriesCode%3DGX_MODELS&seriesCode=GX_MODELS&state=OH&clickType=listing

What window licker would pay this kind of coin for a Bronco with a 1.5L squirrel cage?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

To steer it back toward the "sports car" theme... at $25K there's no less than 39 Cayenne's with under 100K miles within 300 miles of me

18. rwdfun

rwdfun

I like the idea of Toyota durability but damn if their interiors are utilitarian. 4 runner might be a bit too long but FJ isn’t too bad. Anyone know if one of the Lexus is a luxury FJ. Is that the GX?

Just like Merc, I’m thinking owning a modern Porsche is for someone that values name over money or has the ability to fix their own stuff.

Edit. Geezus people want mid $20k for a 20-teen FJ with well over 100k miles. F that noise

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024 at 4:10 PM
  19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Worth every penny :). There are good examples under $20k and right around 100k miles.
    I paid $19k for my about year ago, 102k miles. Really like it, thinking about getting another one, maybe last year model with very low milage.

adrenalist likes this.
  20. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Just bought a an '02 Boxter for $3k. Hasn't run in about 8 years. Previous owner graduated from a University in Cali and went to work for Blue Origin in TX. Left the Boxter in Cali for a few years. Wouldn't start went he tried to start it, so he trailered it back to Blue Origin and parked it out there on it's trailer for years. My bro Stan kept bugging Ty to sell it to him and he finally obliged and sold him the combo for $4k. Stan just lost his job as Blue is doing some downsizing and I had been bugging him about selling it to me. He just slung the car to me for $3k. 61k miles, two owners, clean title. Problem with running is fuel related. Fuel pump is pulled and the sludge in the tank looks like oil. Just got it to my shop a couple days ago. The main negative is that it's Tip. Might look into a swap after she's resurrected. Pics and resto as I get to it.

BigBird likes this.