Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I have heard that about other teams in supersport etc.
    There was no promises in writing to my knowledge, just simply a matter of don't talk about it be about it ..

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Running the Minis at their events IS help. A direction connection through them to the FIM IS help. But quite simply this entire focus on the kids is ridiculous and a moot point. What they truly do to help is offer a profession series for racers to run.

And yeah, an unannounced series, that's really going to work great :crackup: Not to mention the FIM MiniGP is great - for the parents of kids and nothing else...

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I admitedly haven't kept up with any changes in stated goals, let alone promises made to racers and their families, but when Moto America was created, I was under the impression that Wayne Rainey's goal was to create an environment that would get American racers ready to go race internationally again. I was never under the impression that they would keep helping after the racers got on the plane.

But again, that was before the start of the inaugural season

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Travel ball when I was 16 was pretty inexpensive. I played on 3 different teams and the furthers we went was probably 100 miles. I had $100 bucks in my Copa's, and the uniform was $75. Packed my lunches and I had a PT job to pay for gas. In 12 months, I may have spent $1500 on everything. My youngest is in travel cheer. It's easily 8-9K per year in fees, makeup, hair, travel, etc..

I do miss traveling in my 72 V dub though. Windows down, a camel light, and that 1600cc screaming to do 70 mph :D Times were way easy then man.

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: That's me going to races except for the vehicle part :D

Hyperdyne likes this.
  6. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Yes, exactly, with judged competitions.

LOL. It IS weirder than fencing. Fencing is like crew IMHO. A way to accept rich kids to elite colleges. We signed her up for a class through our local park department (which is totally awesome) when she was 5 or 6. She had a lot of fun and the teacher gave us info about a local school. It was an early introduction to not-every0ne-is-a-winner. They don't do participation trophies except for the really little kids. Her first competition netted exactly zero medals, prompting lots of crying but also a determination to not let THAT happen again. She's since won two 'national' (it's not really national) championships and even did really well at a competition in Ireland.

There's very few guys as you might expect but they compete directly against the girls, at least in the US. There's a boy in my daughter's school who's really good. It's a sweet deal for a non-gay dude (I assume he's not gay). He's a 15yo boy surrounded by fit young women who don't mind stripping down to sports bras and tiny shorts in front of him. He's grown up with the girls at the school so he's like a brother to them but we were at a competition recently and a girl from another school came rushing up to say hi to him, just gushing. "Man, I made poor choices as a teenager". He played it cool. :D

HPPT likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's pretty cool. :clap:
    Let me guess: they call him Billy? :D

Mike Fennell likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

No way he survived that. I'll try to compose a grandiloquent eulogistic masterpiece in his honor.

9. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

This is what I was saying.....opportunity.

10. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

If parents are going to spend money to take their kids to Europe, good for them. But build the sport here for everyone else. Fuck Europe. Build all the classes here create competition.

JBall likes this.
  11. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

I appreciate your response. I agree with you 100% we are having a blast as a family and enjoying riding together, father daughter riding on the track. If it ends tomorrow, I would be fine with it and enjoy the memories.

My problem is that she is actually showing real potential and wants to push herself and we are limited. She has a few sponsors etc....

We live in SoCal. WERA is gone, and we only have one local series. Appreciate your advice we are trying to get her to more tracks and build relationships.

Any more insight would be much appreciated. We can take the convo off this thread if possible.

Namarow likes this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

How would you propose to make that happen? In your vision, what would it look like?
    I don't disagree with your sentiments, I just don't see a way to make it happen.

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Move.
    Stoners parent saw his potential and moved to Europe.

I suggest before going to Europe, look somewhere in the country that has a large mini series.

In say move because if she has the potential to go to Europe, why not go closer first and see if she has what it takes against other kids.

mom saying this nicely and politely. I promote races every year and have hundreds of dads and every one of them says their kid has potential. The kicker is are you able to advance her potential. You’re gonna have to bite the bullet because nobody is gonna throw sponsorship dollars at a 9 year old unless you get that Turkish kid who drives everything.

YamahaRick and RayRay like this.
  14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It helped that was possible to buy a competitive motorcycle over the counter in whatever class you raced in. Might not have won against the true factory bikes but they were always in with a shout at a solid top six place which would guarantee them good money at the non-world championship events that were common in those days.

15. Namarow

Namarow Well-Known Member

He did say this many times. It is one of the reasons I was excited about their leadership after DMG shit the bed. I remember edmonstund saying he wasn't there to promote any talent but the ones staying in his league.

16. Namarow

Namarow Well-Known Member

Do both?

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Just like in F1, you need to be in Europe to get their knowledge of how the system works and be exposed. If you're good, you'll have much better odds of staying.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

@Mike Fennell
    That’s cool AF. I like what little of that dance that I’ve seen and it’s cool to hear people doing their own thing. :up:

Mike Fennell likes this.
  19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My brother and used to swap stories about the sports chicks in high school. I thought I had it made until he started telling about his times in swim and dive teams.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Want to hear about why my kid is banned for life from another schools events?
    Plays into athletic chicks and why she was called the cannibal.