1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought people on this forum would know who King Kenny is.

2. gixxerboy55

It's funny I just recently got back from Fiji, and surprised there were no motorscooters, they don't like them, think they're dangerous.
    They do have lots of fairly cheap taxi's, and really cheap buses.
    The people are really nice.
    Everywhere else I've been, motorscooters all over the place, like Thailand Bali Cozmel Dominican Republic.
    Different culture I guess.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I don't think thats the case seeing that games and phones are pretty popular worldwide. I will say this, less developed countries kids obviously wont have the latest iphone, but I would bet that rich kids there have the same iphones and tiktok american kids do.

American kids still have time to play football, soccer,baseball, basketball etc while also scrolling their phones.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

We have 7x the population than Spain. We should be dominating racing like we did a few decades ago. We have become fat and lazy. The average family sits in front of the TV and we aren't out living life. Our kids are spoiled and babied. We aren't hungry like we used to be, we used to be adventurous and thrill seeking. We have become complacent.

5. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

With the push of mini cup and etc the last 2-4 years ago those kids are up and coming. Can’t wait until they start hitting the 15-16 years old.

We’ve seen it here at NEMRR with the developement of Teagg and Ben.

There are many others right around the corner but we still need the support from all the other resources to run a race team.

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

We also have a land area 17 times the size of Spain's. Distance and transport costs are a real factor here. How many hours does it take to drive across Texas, or the length of California? How long does it take to drive across Spain?

HPPT, quikie, brex and 2 others like this.
  7. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

KRSR round these parts ... lol

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, "KK" for Kenny Roberts is new to me as well. As is calling KRSR a motocross racer in any way, shape or form. He wasn't. He raced dirt track before moving to road racing, but trying to lump him in as someone that had a shot at a lucrative MX career but switched to road racing is like saying Caitlyn Jenner was born with a vagina.

tl1098, YamahaRick and stk0308 like this.
  9. gixxerboy55

Yeah right excellent point, your a genius.

10. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

You're

Gino230, tl1098, AC1108 and 7 others like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

KR Sr. said years back when posed that question that "we are a nation of pussies". :D

Bugslayer likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

Yeah, but (1) talent like that doesn't show up on the grid every couple years, there has to be a path for kids with maybe a little less talent who might still get there with proper development. And (2) they rode GP bikes before they acquired all that experience on production bikes. I think that makes a difference.

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that.
    Let's assume for a minute, just for the sake of argument, that this is true. If there were more kids out there playing soccer, basketball or football than there already are (and there are plenty), what would that do for motorcycle racing?

13. Robby-Bobby

Lets be honest, there aint a fucking thing on a Moto2 bike or Moto3 bike that can't be adapted. Joe Roberts and Cam B when their setup was on, they ran up front and Robetrs won a race. Neither of them had "GP" bike history. A Redbull rookie bike is not a GP bike.

Fast guys will go fast. You cant say its the tires because they are vastly different in Moto2 and 3 than MotoGp and those guys adapt. Theres literally nothing comparable to a MotoGp bike. In fact, I would argue that a proper SBK is closer to MotoGp than Moto2 and 3 as they dont even get all the Aides. In SBK you got a lot of similar electronics other than squat and crazy clutch setups.

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Pacific Islanders have a very different culture than the rest of the modern world. They stay very strongly rooted to their native land or their homestead and don't see leaving family as a good thing.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well Cameron was Marquez's teammate on a KTM 125. Also Joe and Cameron rode Honda RS125's over here.

Namarow likes this.
  16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I remember when I first started playing Rugby in college in 1994. Club sport with very little knowledge. In 2023, Every large High School near me has a team. There are summer clubs and even Spring and Summer 7's.

If we ever got to a point where motorcycle racing was endorsed by every parent like basketball and football, we'd have a huge crop of talent.

17. Robby-Bobby

That's exactly my point. Some folks think riding a 125gp somehow will set them up better for MotoGp than a 600SS or SBK. Other than a "prototype style gp frame" theres nothing else relevant. At least on a newer SuperSport you learn basic electronics, bigger tires, bigger brakes, etc.

I honestly think the main advantage is that in Spain you got 20 dudes or more at any given time throigh the pipeline, same with Italy, and now Aus,

The Flat track world is quickly learning that Australians also don't fuck around when it comes to their racing.

bpro and stk0308 like this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've heard some people with real experience in this game and say that it's best to go quickly through Moto 2 on the way to MotoGP because riders can pick up bad habits and Moto 3 bikes are better learning tools for MotoGP. Hell, we've seen guys make the jump.
    :stupid:

19. Robby-Bobby

Well, I will freely admit there are a billion dudes in the Gp game that knows more than I, so I will have to take your word for it. I assume we still agree that the american Culture/lifestyle towards motorcycling is the biggest hinderance for americans in Gp?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's like saying that other than the engine, there's not much difference between a gasoline-powered car and an EV. Well, duh!