1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Which model Supercorsa is considered the trackday tire; the one that doesn't require warmers? When I look at the Pirelli website I don't see any models labeled "TD".
    I think the SP is the high performance street tire and the SC is the DOT race tire. And then the SC is divided into the V3 and V4.

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

It’s called track day supercorsa.
    https://www.motodracing.com/pirelli-trackday-supercorsa-rear-180-55

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The Supercorsa DOT SC3 tires were once marked TD (trackday) but they changed it ti SC3 2 years ago or there abouts

Rising likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

This
    SP= Sports Production
    SC= Special compound
    A Diablo Supercorsa is a treaded DOT approved tire. The latest is the V4 aka version 4, and you can easily see the difference in the tread pattern of the V3 & V4. And since nobody wants to race on DOTs in North America you will only find SC3 of either version. And soon the V3 SC3 will be gone.

Rising likes this.
  5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

True. Why do you think that is?

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It all started when top level production classes switched from Dots to slicks. Sure there are still some organizations requiring Dots but that's changing. I watched the demand for dots shrink dramatically while slick sales shot up. So if there's no demand there's no reason to import them.

7. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Could I get a few recommendations for my 2006 SV650 that I just picked up? Came with 3 year old Dunlop KR448/KR451 racing slicks that still have some meat on them. I think I'd like to start fresh though, not sure I should use them. I'm a novice track day rider with about 10 track days in total. The SV650 is setup as a track/race bike only. I'd like to do more track days, take some classes and maybe get on a grid or two. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Perilli? Street/track tire, track/race tire, strictly race? Ones that require warmers or maybe those that don't? Stick with the Dunlop's race slicks, maybe Q4's or Try Perilli slicks or maybe the V4 SP? Open to a few recommendations because my head is spinning with all the info I'm taking in.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

always made me laugh when a fella would whine & cry to run slicks in SS because they were also registered for SB. Then you look at the lap times and they werent any faster on slicks.
    When WERA allowed slicks in SS it saved alot of wrench time. CCS allowed all kinds of super bike items in SS.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok here we go.
    We assume you will be using the 5.50 rear wheel correct? And we will assume you are going to do track days and do not to want to use warmers correct?
    If this is true the Diablo Supercorsa SC3 would be a great choice. 120/70 & 180/60 sizes would be your friends and then get into a routine of setting pressures and when you come off the track check the hot pressures. Then based on the tech data sheet that I have posted on BBS 300 times in the last 8 years adjust accordingly to the info.
    Once you get comfortable and happy on how you're improving then do a WERA rider's school and get your license. THEN look at getting race compound tires and start using warmers. BUT when you switch over data collection and warmer use will have to be watched even more.

10. bsanorton

Sorry, I know it's like another 'oil' thread. Thank you, yes, using the 5.5 rear. In fact, I have another coming as I want two sets of wheels. I have tire warmers and used then on my FZR400 which had Bridgestone race tires on them. So I'm not opposed to using them. I will look for your sheet, but not sure what BBS means

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Step 1 read the first post of this thread
    Step 2 read the posts in the tech thread called Pirelli tire selection
    Step 3 WERA BBS forum

12. bsanorton

Thanks for the steps LMAO

13. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

For a novice rider on a lower power bike, you could really save a little bit of money just using a tire like S22 or even the new S23 coming out. Just food for thought.

kirk erlinger and bsanorton like this.
  14. bsanorton

Thank you

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yep or even Racetecs to stay on slicks

lopitt85 and BrentA like this.
  16. bsanorton

Bridgestone Battlax, thanks

17. bsanorton

And these are the Metzeler's, correct, ? thank you. So I can use either in a novice race or 2?

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm a fan of the Metzeler TD "slicks" and they worked for me during all of my trackdays and the 2 times that I was on track while other people raced. Can be used with or without warmers.

I think the Pirelli TD, Dunlop Q4/Q5, etc... would all be a good tire that you can learn on and dip your toes into racing with.

kirk erlinger, BrentA and bsanorton like this.
  19. bsanorton

Thank you thoughts on Bridgestone R11. CR11 or the V slicks?

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok Nortonbsa here's what I would suggest for you based on your idea of going racing. Before you make the decision to actually race go to a local race and observe what's going on. THEN go to each tire vendor and ask a bunch of questions.
    Service before, during, and after your purchase is the most important thing to look at this point for you in my opinion. Collect data then make your choice. And don't listen to Jimmy bbs on thisforum because he don't know shit. Research young man Research