1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's sounding like approx 80% to 90% of the Tesla chargers aren't actually working, rather than the cars being at fault in this case. Tesla of course is not saying anything.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What I read was that the charging was throttled way down due to the cold and the ability of the batteries to take a charge at those temps (which really means that charging at a reasonable rate will overcook the batteries and lead to warranty claims)

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Reports I'm seeing is that the majority of the Tesla chargers just wouldn't charge, period. Even a trickle charge would have cut down the need for tow trucks and shuffling cars by hand.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Maybe the cold weather charging widget hasn’t been activated…

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's an extra $10/month.

cpettit, Rebel635, 418 and 2 others like this.
  8. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I didn't have any issues with the cold other than the expected higher energy consumption while driving. However, I do not use supercharging in my normal drive. I did make sure to charge at home as soon as my drive was complete and the battery was still warm. Letting the battery cool off before charging makes it harder. Typically when the weather is not cold I charge overnight when the cost is only $.07/kwh.

BrentA likes this.
  9. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's my understanding that when it's really cold out a Tesla will use up to 30 miles/day of electricity just to keep the battery warm. After about a 5-7 days of that the battery will be depleted enough to be unable to continue warming itself. Apparently it's can damage a LI-ION battery to be too cold, which of course means if you park it at the airport and leave it there for several days in weather like this you're likely to come back to a car that's going nowhere.

Add to that the sudden increased demand on superchargers and "Heather" was a perfect storm (pardon the pun) to demonstrate one of the biggest vulnerabilities of mass market EV. But as Nietzsche implied, it'll either kill the industry or make it stronger.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I keep meaning to look into a couple vehicles with a generator and gas cans for EV owners to call in case of emergency...

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

How does a Tesla lock the wheels in park ?

Something has to keep it from rolling

Are the tow truck drivers trained on this so they don't damage things ?

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

IIRC they use an electrically operated brake caliper that doubles as the e-brake.

MyWayGuy likes this.
  13. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like some people have never owned a white vehicle…

You drive down the road and your car is bombarded with iron particles from the environment. Dafuq you think is gonna happen when those itsy bitsy specks of iron embed themselves in the body of your Ray-O-Vac-Amino and the rain comes?

But reality is hard for some people…

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's a bullshit article with no pictures.
    I looked at both threads referenced in the 'article' where the owners called it rust or corrosion and posted pictures. No orange at all. It's just a bunch of little black dots on the surface that does not look like rust. The owners clearly have no idea what they're actually looking at and Business Insider should be embarrassed at such sloppy reporting without a shred of investigation or credible research.
    To be transparent, I own Tesla stock from when I worked there, but that doesn't mean I think that electric vehicles should take over the planet. Far from it. They have their place and ICE vehicles have their place as well.
    I actually I think the Cyber truck is a dumb concept, mainly because it doesn't look like a traditional truck, so it has limited mass market appeal. But if people feel the to make themselves feel better about not liking electric vehicles by writing or referencing poorly researched articles, it just looks weak.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

20. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

That stop sale over the stupid accelerator pedal design and assembly is pretty bad. :Poke: