1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk Me Out of a Kramer

Discussion in 'General' started by Need_4_Speed, Jan 4, 2024.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Kayla Y had one for a number of years,pretty sure she is a serious racer.

Senna likes this.
  2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

From what I've read....Isn't India only doing the Duke models, and the rest of the KTM line staying home? I'm a long time lover of KTM.I worked at Cycle Products in Gainesville Ga.,and rode/raced several models, and wouldn't consider anything else,although I did buy one TM 250. POS leking cases on the TM due to poor machine work. And does anyone have info on the CFMOTO operation,build quality? Here in California they are selling the few leftovers for cost.That 300 sportbike looks pretty damn good

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Duke 790/890 is what I read. Off-road SX/XC stuff supposed to still be made in Austria. For now, at least.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I went and checked them out at Vintagefest after racing with them… The singles are Bad Ass… never knew the fuel tank was in the tail section… I was hung ho about getting one and racing it.. However after talking with other people I went down the modern Japanese road simply for reliability… They are cool as hell but not 30K cool as hell.. I think I would blow one up for sure…

RRP and 418 like this.
  5. Need_4_Speed

Need_4_Speed Well-Known Member

At first I was convinced, but now I'm second guessing the Kramer. I think I'm leaning towards #1, but it probably wouldn't be as friendly to try out racing on a 1000cc bike versus something smaller.

1) Take my stock '21 S1000RR and make that a full time track bike.
    2) Buy a smaller displacement bike for the track. (e.g. R6, V2?) Or even a base S1000RR without all the fancy electronic suspension, carbon rims, etc.
    3) Empty my savings and try and get a GP2-890RR.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sell your shit and with the money buy a clapped out SV and go WERA racing. You will be hanging with a bunch of narrow minded bone headed old guys all around the US that will berate you because (in their eyes) your favorite college football team sucks and FYI while you're sleeping they will raid your beer cooler. To prevent from getting thrown out of the place because of your loud ass generator you'll need to bribe Mongo with pie and Dew. But at the end of that first year you will have ridden a bunch of cool tracks and hung with a bunch cool peeps.

And remember don't talk about college football, ever.:D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    TLR67 and tl1098 like this.
  7. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

My choice for a track bike would be the r6,or base Kramer 690.
    They have one for sale 14k

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I might be an idiot, but I don't really see a single holding up to WOT on the big tracks. I'm intrigued by the Kramer, but would only consider the 890.

418 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

They who?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Those people.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

You know who, THEM!!!!

ToofPic likes this.
  12. gixxerboy55

Grayarea KTM
    There in Oregon so no sales tax
    2023 demo total of 4 track sessions

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  13. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Two balance shafts in the current 690. My Kramer doesn't vibrate any more than my Yammi 07 superbike build. It'll rev to 9500 rpm but the power falls off above about 8800rpm so little reason to go much beyond 9000. I figure it'll need a piston after two full seasons of racing but it is an easy swap (only ONE!).

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

And cylinder

15. gixxerboy55

What this makes no sense, singles will run all day long no problem.
    In fact in the old days most of the best race bikes were singles.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They also made 30HP back in the day.

Half of my singles Himalayan fleet has blown up simply because renters took them on the highway for a couple hours.

Heck, I blew up a low mile Hypermotard 1100 with 1 minute of WOT in 6th gear on a public highway a few years ago. (L-twin)

My stock XR1200 motor needed new cylinders, pistons & heads after 5 race weekends with my weak-wristed ass riding it. (V-twin)

I'm down with parallel twins. Wouldn't run a single on anything larger than a kart track or a tight road course.

I'm not a mechanic. Just a guy with a bunch of blown up motors :)

418 likes this.
  17. gixxerboy55

Funny I ran singles on the freeway all day long xl500 xl650.
    The bikes you talk about are junk made in India.
    Come on you think an Italian bike is going to be reliable.
    Has anybody heard about the 690 blowing up left and right.

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The current Molnar/Summerfield Manx Nortons are making around 60HP.

19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

20. 418

418 Expert #59

The bikes you are talking about are low stressed motors and you are on the highway, you're not racing them....

High strung singles on the racetrack running WFO for majority of the time will defenitally need to be looked after. I'm not sure how this is even an argument.