1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too old to race?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Dec 27, 2023.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

:crackup: He dont come in here no more! :Poke:

flygirl likes this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Tommy D that used to run V5?

3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Man, I didn't realize how many of you were old schmucks like me. Going to be 62 this year, and am still on the fence on whether to come back and do it. It's been a long time since I raced pavement. Ice has been way kinder to me, and I'm not risking permanent mobility issues as much. But....I'm still really competitive mentally. Like Flygirl, it's been a rough few years, so my physical condition has gone from 18% body fat, to....I don't even want to know. Used to run the 3 hour endurance ice race with no problem, and now I struggle with 10 lap sprints. But man....life aint getting any longer, and I can already tell I'm not living to 90.

flygirl, ToofPic, tl1098 and 3 others like this.
  4. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

thats me

5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

:bow: And at least you're still racing. We used to have some fun in the North Central. And I've still got my boat anchor KZ.
    upload_2024-1-7_9-18-43.jpeg

6. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

TommyD, sorry to hear of your mishap and hope you are healing well. Will miss seeing the H2 around. I also have issues with my mechanic, as well. Pretty sure he has a drinking problem at times......

7. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

I'm turning 65 in May, never raced. Have done track days the last few years and love it. I would love to get on the grid to try. I am pretty fit and stay active (a pickleball addict, LOL). Do I even try? Current track ride is a SV650, pretty much setup for racing

ToofPic and fishmonster13 like this.
  8. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Go for it, never live where you may have regrets later for not doing it.

I am 65 and have a few wins and a number of podiums on vintage bikes. I have fast stuff that I make slow but that is ok. For me it is about being out there and enjoying everyone in the paddock. I stay out of the way and hold my line and let the fast guys go when needed but I still get the rush from it because I was like them 45 years ago and the thrill never goes away.

It keeps me focused and I stay active and in shape because of racing. I am a little behind on my being fit this year as I had a little chassis work that I needed done myself but that is all cleared so now the drive to get back in shape is on!!

tl1098, ToofPic and PatricksDad like this.
  9. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Your SV650 could run modern or V7MW.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hell yea you try it!.....with your self-description, you should be asking yourself "Why Not?"

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    Hell must have frozen over.

12. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

LOL thanks all

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Alabama damn sure has, and they share similar climates.

14. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I'm 55, been racing since 1989. With Heartland Park gone this next season is looking dismal for me. Its been my go-to since AHRMA started going there. My job doesn't allow easily getting days off as I have to pick my vacations in October of the previous year and living in Nebraska gives me few tracks I can make it to with my odd job days off. I shot gun some weekends hoping to nail a race or two but that didn't happen for me this year. My 93 ZX7 is ready to go and I'm currently building a 91 GSXR to race. So its looking like I will finally make it to Hastings for the first time this year for my first track day in 10+ years to work out my stable. I was really hoping to make Mid Ohio for the vintage fest.. maybe next year.

ToofPic and tl1098 like this.
  15. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

That's just your own private hell Scudder:Poke: ...every one elses froze over years ago.:)

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Not when I'm around, I bring joy and sunshine wherever I go.

17. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I returned to racing at age 64. Race wins and two regional CCS championships at 65. Played on a vintage bike in 2017
    Helicopter ride (my second) from a crash in the pits sidelined me for a while. Bought a Kramer and raced with WERAon my 70th birthday September 2021.
    Decided that box was checked and sold the Kramer and the Bimota race bikes. Mainly switching interest to vintage bikes but no road race bikes….yet.
    Found a very nice MV F3 800 in the red silver livery and had to have it. Not sure what a 72 year old ex racer needs that bike for but the year is young. Even if I am not

18. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Yeah the 13 year olds are annoyingly fast. My last race in September 2021 Logan Cunnison (sp?) spanked me and the rest of the field as well. I accepted a second and third graciously and felt it an honor to be on track with him
    On my return in 2013 at the GNF I had a similar honor with Jackson Blackmon.

Buell1965 likes this.
  19. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Lol , they seem so innocent and cute in the pits

ToofPic and rd400racer like this.
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

This is a lot of the thinking behind my return to racing. Only I'm going back to my dirt bike roots.:D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024