1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time racing fees and licensing

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Michelle Donelan, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Michelle Donelan

Michelle Donelan New Member

Hello! Can someone provide me some info on East Coast CCS/ASRA and WERA certification process and fees?

So I'm having a difficult time finding pricing and dates for licensing. I was planning on getting online certified through MotoGladiator. I know they have an online certification on EvolveGT's website. After that does Motogladiator do actual licensing during a trackday or do I need to find a different org? I know CCS accepts race licensing from Motogladiator (I'm not sure about WERA) but are they accepting only the EvolveGT online certification or do I also need to have an in-person licensing at a trackday through MotoGladiator after completing the online certification from EvolveGT? Also, What's the latest date I can buy my 2024 license for CCS/ASRA and WERA? I'm also struggling to find info on this. I won't be able to do my first trackday for 2024 until late April/ early May. So am I able to get licensed in May 2024 for the 2024 season? Sorry for all of the questions I'm a first-time racer and the only one trying to race in my area. All of this has been confusing to learn on my own.

Now talking about fees. I remember the EvolveGT online race certification being around I think $165-$170. How much does a CCS/ASRA license usually cost? I think I saw on WERA's website that first-time racers are $90 for a 1-year license and $50 for an AMA membership. And typically how much does it usually cost per racing class? For example, I have a 2016 FZ07 I'm planning on riding in the lightweight super stock and modified twin classes. So how much does it typically run for a practice day. And how much does it usually cost per race day for these racing organizations? Is it usually around $200 for a practice day and around $100 per race on racing day? I know each track varies on pricing along with race classes but having approximations would be very helpful for budgeting.

Thank you!

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

3. Michelle Donelan

Michelle Donelan New Member

4. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

5. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to do WERA new racer school at the race weekend. Discount on license and transponder included.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What he said, easiest/cheapest way to do it.

7. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Odd question I know, but whats the cut off for NOT getting a license? Besides obvious or gregarious issues, do you have anything in writing?
    Complete a mock grid-up and race and don't fall down seems obvious. Is there a minimum lap time or something like that?

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm not Mongo, but my understanding is that there's no time cutoff but you need to pass the eye test (as you mentioned, egregious issues).

I remember when I took mine and the only phrase pounded in our heads before going out was "whatever you do, don't crash".

9. Cooter!

Our series has a new racer org that passed a girl for her competition license and was easily one full minute off pace. Slower than a lot of C group. Of course she tried to race that weekend and was certainly a danger to every other racer on track, not expecting closing speeds that high at that level.

Same thing happens in our class of Harley racers. Theres only 3 of them total so they run 2nd wave with us sometimes. One of them I would consider a poor rider even on the road. But hey, he's cashing $300 checks and Instagramming pics like he's related to Wyman:eek:

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Is? And to help the original poster understand their options?

11. Cooter!

I didn't name it because it doesn't matter. I'm digressing slightly but asking a simple question that doesn't warrant its own, whole new, thread.

That bothers you that much?

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Nope but doesn't it make it easier for peeps to comment when they understand the race org which is the point
    isn't it ?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  13. Cooter!

I'm hoping Mongo has an answer of what he does with WERA (if anything), then possibly use his expertise and apply it to a NRO in any club racing or track day org, no matter the acronym.

I'm asking for CRA/CVMA, and a couple of the local track day orgs if you need to sleep at night. But I fail to see how that matters?

14. Cooter!

Nevermind. It's WAY too early in 2024 to get sucked into this kind of crap, so forget about it, we'll figure it out. Have a pleasant day, cheers! :beer:

15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

There really is no time you have to meet to qualify for a race license. I taught riders school for several years and never had anyone fail in the classes I taught (don't crash during the mock race and hold your line if you are getting passed). I have seen just two guys not get through the school. One was a young kid on a small bike (like a mini 150) where they had him come back another weekend and go out in the school practice sessions again (for free) before he gridded up. He ended up doing fine. The other was an extremely old guy whose bike stopped on track and he could not hold it up. He had flat tracked a long time before and was giving road racing a last shot. Always felt kind of bad for him, but I think his wife was OK with it.

The rule book does address pace in the race.

"15. Competitors having a lap time of 1.2 x or greater than a competitive lap time for their motorcycle or class (i.e. getting lapped in four or less laps), may, at the discretion of the officials, be removed from the track."

I have never seen this used for someone who was just being slow as long as they were consistent. I have seen it used for bikes that were not running right.

Once in a while you hear about people saying you need to make A group times before you can race, but this is a load of crap. Many people started without ever doing a track day, and many track day folks go out and beat their times by actually competing.

Good Luck!

Shenanigans, Cooter!, Eeyore and 2 others like this.
  16. Cooter!

Oh wow thank you! I perused the WERA rule book and missed that. I agree it's more about being predictable than fast, but I don't know how to write that rule and be fair to all parties. I appreciate the help:D.

Any more questions and I'll start a new thread about it:blart:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our 120% for the class cutoff is always in place. Now that would be novice times for a new racer not expert even on track at the same time. Overall even really slow riders are usually okay if they just hold a good line, the fast riders are used to passing people.

Kev59 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like a large part of the issue is the fast riders, they should be aware of what's on track with them and ride accordingly. We have pro level riders on 1000's track with LW Twins riders in the endurance and very very few problems (especially considering the number of laps they all do).

JBall likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With stuff like this there is no fair, that's where you (we) have to trust the experience and judgement of our officials to pull someone if need be or let them get some track time if that can be done safely so they can get up to speed.

20. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Wera Race School . Maintain your lines and dont ride over your head and know your flags like second nature and familiarize yourself with the Pit in and Out locations and never assume every one knows your pitting out ( allways take a gander at what may be approaching ) and conversely Allways signal Pitting in and make sure you have worked your way over in most cases to the inside approaching Pit in and dont cut across towards the inside abruptly unless you have verified complete clarity . Have fun and enjoy .