1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips CPAP Dream Station 2 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by 10-15, Dec 9, 2023.

1. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Yet another cluster fuck from Phillips. Dream station 1, lets kill the users with carcinogenic foam used as noise abatement that was placed in the fresh air stream. Recalled and replaced with the new and improved DS2 that can catch fire. Fuck me gently with a chain saw. Went and paid out of pocket for a ResMed 10 Airsense. Don't worry, the FDA is on it!

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...es-signs-overheating-fda-safety-communication

2. 418

418 Expert #59

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning patients and health care providers to carefully monitor Philips DreamStation 2 continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines for signs of overheating.

While sleeping? o_O

TurboBlew, Once a Wanker.. and 10-15 like this.
  3. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

I guess they figure if your not sleeping ya won't have apnea episodes. Problem solved SMH!

4. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Ha. I only waited 2 years for my cheapo replacement only to have the new one try to burn down the house.....nice. Better get on another 2 year list.

10-15 likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The 1st Gen poses no risk, if you don’t use one of those stupid cleaning machines on it. These are nothing more than a smart air pump, with its own replaceable filters. There’s no way a person’s exhale could ever travel upstream into the machine and cause bacterial growth like the cleaning machine commercials claim. The foam was never meant to be exposed to cleaning solutions, which is what causes the breakdown of the foam. Never use a cleaning machine.

I still use my 1st Gen machine and have the recall replacement sitting in its box.

6. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I have a nice resmed for home. I end up using the dreamstation 2 for work/travel. I was using a resmed air mini for work, but no decent way to get enough humidity in it and I can't download reports from it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Yep, never used the cleaning machine. Just Dawn and warm water to clean the nasal pillow, tube and humidifier box on the DS. Phillips screwed its patients big time by not admitting years ago that even though the foam may not be breaking down it still had bad shit in it. Read somewhere that Phillips settled a class action lawsuit for $500,000,000 for the foam gate debacle.

It took me 4 months to get a replacement so I just removed the foam from the air chamber and plugged the small hole I drilled to remove it. Plugged the hole with a surgical grade silicone ear gauge plug. The hell of it was my home health care provider would not give me my DS2 unit unless I turned in my original DS. WTF!! Kept the foam and documented serial number from the device. Got the shitty replacement.

The latest issue on the DS2 ,while limited in the amount reports of faulty units currently in use, I'm sure will snowball just like foam gate.

Now I just got to figure how to get my hand on some of that 500 mill.:crackup:My guess if I would submit the paper work I would get a whopping $20 check if anything.

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

How the hell do you guys manage to keep your mask in place?

When I tried these CPAP (it might have been a Philips), I end up dreaming about being in a wild hurricane and wake up with the nose piece in my ear....

9. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

I got very lucky. When I first started CPAP therapy the nurse at the home healthcare center was also a CPAP user. After testing different types of masks the ResMed Airfit Ni30 pillow worked like a charm. Size medium pillow and the fact the hose attaches to the top of the headgear and swivels 360 degrees keeps every thing in place for me. I'm also lucky I sleep with my mouth closed. Only drawback is if I have a sinus issues but they are few and far between.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

ResMed AirTouch F20 is what I and a few friends use. It’s hypoallergenic, which is really important for one’s skin. The headgear keeps mine in place, without issue.

The worst part of some of the sleep clinics is the people not being CPAP users. That should be a requirement, so they understand what users deal with. I went through a few masks they recommended, but, ended up turning to the internet to find a great match for me.

10-15 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

After trying several styles of headgear over the first few months of use, I found the ResMed AirFit F30i worked well for me. I like the air tube connected on top of my head. I ended up mixing different sized components, using a large mask cushion to cover my mouth, with a small frame system, so I didn't have to cinch the adjustable velcro back straps ('head gear') so tight. I also now wear a SweatVac Ventilator Skull Cap to keep my hair from getting so janky every night. I've got some felt covers that wrapped around the upper air delivery cheek tubes with velcro, but I can't find where to buy more of these.
    I have figured out that I need to follow their suggested replacement schedule, as the velcro deteriorates and comes loose easier over time, not to mention contamination of the air delivery system.

I am interested in possibly finding a smaller machine for traveling with, but haven't decided to spend the money to yet.

ducnut likes this.
  12. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Would you rather die of cancer or die in a fire? Well now, Phillips gives you a choice

TurboBlew and 10-15 like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Is it these? I use their headgear cover.

resplabs CPAP Strap Covers | Compatible with Most Full Face and Nasal CPAP Mask Headgear | Universal | 4 Pack https://a.co/d/id2v0e8

14. Once a Wanker..

Similar, but less bulky. I'll likely try these, or some similar below the listing, to see how they work. Thank you, @ducnut

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I got mine, today. I’m far more hopeful with this one than the previous cap I’d tried. Nearly all mesh and feels like almost nothing is up there. Thank you.

16. Once a Wanker..

Hope it works for you. I now wear their hats and visors for light and cooler outdoor work. Wearing glasses and bicycling in summer heat and humidity, I've switched to 'Halo' brand hats, headbands, etc, when sweating heavily.

ducnut likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I tried that C-CRAP stuff but couldn't sleep anymore
    so I said no thanks and now I sleep on my side and
    breath through my nose and it works.