1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Toyota/Lexus Fainbois Here?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Dec 6, 2023.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I knew Yamaha has provided engines for automobile manufacturers in the past. The Ford Taurus of the 90s is the one I am most familiar with.

I believe more recently there have been Yamaha powerplants in certain Lexus models available in the US. If true, can someone tell me what year, what models, and engine description? Were they reliable or did they have issues?

TIA.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The 2ZZ-GE version in the Lotus Elise, has a Yamaha-designed twin-cam cylinder head and came straight out of the Celica GT-S.

*EDIT* Found this with the google.

Our successful partnership with Toyota has continued for more than 50 years, with Yamaha often tasked with the development and production of high-revving, high-power engines, including the exotic V10 powerplant in the Lexus LFA supercar.Jan 30, 2023

@27 mentioned on here that they used Yamaha musical instrument wood for the dashes on some Lexus cars. He probably has more info for you?

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

The ex had two Lexus SUVs. The RX330 and GX470 back in the early 2000s.
    Dont know what motor they had or who helped develop it.
    But I hated both of those vehicles back then.
    Esp the GX, all kinds of stuff broke on that thing and the steering locked up on more than one occasion.

4. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I’m not saying this didn’t happen, but this would be very anomalous in the Toy Yoda world.

My negative experiences can be summed up by gas mileage and rust.

beechkingd likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

LFA! V-10 Yamaha….

get me one too if you’re buying :D

BigBird and sdg like this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Every twin cam head is designed by Yamaha…. So I was told by Toyota execs a decade ago… that’s where the wood info came from too…

Boman Forklift, YamahaRick and sdg like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yamaha is the worlds largest musical instrument company.

Once a Wanker.., 27 and brex like this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

although the musical and motor company are one in the same to us their logos are slightly different… the tuning forks touch the outer circle on one but not the other… I had to re-vinyl a rig once because I downloaded and printed the wrong one directly from their marketing partner’s site where we got all approved media images

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if they use direct full Yamaha crate engines in anything, besides the LFA run, or if they just collaborate on design… I thought @Boman Forklift said that Toyota in his Lotus has a Yamaha stamp on the head…

my Toyota contacts are pretty high on the sales and management side but I have few contacts on the manufacturing side… same for Yamaha….

But I did connect the two of them for marketing ventures and that every twin cam head and all wood used is how they explained their unity

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That is an interesting tidbit that I never knew or noticed.
    The tuning forks and the M are different. Colors officially are different, but not really a big deal.

Attached Files:

11. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Back to the original point, I believe the ISF was Yamaha heads as well.

12. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

My 2007 Lexus GX470 has 167,000 on it and runs like it's new. I just keep up on normal maintenance. I fully expect the V8 drivetrain to go at least 300k.

cpettit, 969, borislav and 2 others like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

(You were probably too busy to notice because you were dancing with…. Eh dancing… well you might like to dance and that’s kinda ghey… :crackup: I’ll have you know I’ve told your dancing with dudes joke to all my ndn kin I’ve seen today and am still laughing :D)

oh no the logo was a very big deal :D enough that I had to have the correct one printed and flown to the track to make sure it was fixed before the event… it wasn’t a “fix that when you get time” it was a “that’s not our logo and we won’t process the invoice” type of deal… glad I sent pics before we left and they called… I’d have been out a big chunk of cash…

made me wonder why it was so important and why they didn’t use the same logo…

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I just meant the colors part not being a big deal. It is odd that they don't just unify to a single logo.

27 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Does that pile of shit they built for Volvo to stick in the XC90 count? It did end up in Noble M600 so maybe it wasn't a total waste.

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Oh….

we could use blue or red but those damn tuning forks better be touching! :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    YamahaRick likes this.
  17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Wouldn't surprise me at all. My 2010 RAV4 V6 has 241,000 now. The alternator died at 175,000; otherwise it has been nothing but oil changes and other consumables.

borislav and YamahaRick like this.
  18. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Yamaha was also contracted to develop JZ engines for Toyota back in the 80s. I can't recall if it was cylinder head only, or longblock type work, but they were instrumental (pun) in creating the infamous 1jz/2jz engines.

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  20. YamahaRick

Ah, finaly ... now to figure out Lexus model codes.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/a-closer-look-at-the-lexus-is-fs-v8/

27 likes this.