1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legit electric car question

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

and his hatred of kids in 3rd world countries

2. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I work in the EV industry and know that the idea that EV's could ever replace ICE vehicles is a very long ways away. The startup I work for only exists because it is impossible for companies to get enough charging capacity with pole in the ground chargers for their fleets of EV's. So we make "portable" chargers and batteries and come to them and charge their vehicles for them.

The whole concept is ridiculous. In each city we operate in, we have a warehouse that has large enough electrical service so we can recharge our "portable" batteries. (By portable I mean they can be picked up with a forklift and put in the back of a van or truck.) Then we load them in a vehicle (some EV and some ICE) and drive the batteries out to the fleet locations and charge their vehicles. How stupid is that? There are always some efficiency loses whenever you are transferring energy from one source to another, so our process is just adding an additional energy transfer between the grid and the EV. But it's the only viable solution right now for some of these companies that have larger fleets of EVs.

I'm sure what we charge them per KWH is much higher than what their rate would be if they could get chargers installed at their facilities, but the problem is the lead time to get a charger installed is anywhere between 8-18 months right now. Plus they need to have high enough capacity electrical service wherever they are.

Even ignoring all the other issues associated with EVs, it will take decades for the infrastructure to be built up to handle any meaningful transition from ICE to EVs.

418, 27, YamahaRick and 3 others like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

and I guess this is where having a solar panel would help mitigate that electricity cost, except for the ugliness that is added to your abode and well, the cost of installation and panels were exorbitant the last time i checked.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Did I quote you in the previous post?

Try again.

There are numerous aspects of EV so that don't hold up to critical thinking.

Batteries that will likely fail within single digit year timeframes at which point the replacement cost of said battery will be far higher than the depreciated value of the vehicle.

Disposal of the above carcasses with all that lithium just waiting to get water on it.

Zero emissions? No.

Power grids that can't handle even current demand without widespread failure yet now we expect them to become our mobility fuel source?

Keep sluggin' that kool-aid, though.

Don't get me wrong, for a 50 mile a week grocery getter in my retirement, a tiny EV might make sense. But for the real world, they can only supplant ICE at best.

tony 340 likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Who is funding this ?

I'm guessing you're a part of some EPA grant or massive tax write off for green energy stuff.

6. Tristan

Don't know what makes you thing the first part- they really haven't been out in numbers long enough to know.

And I don't think you know what supplant means...

7. auminer

Shit.

I was today years old when I learned....

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I've been using that word wrong for 50-something years.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I’m sure your kindergarten teacher just shook her head when you used it the first time. ;)

auminer likes this.
  9. auminer

Quit picking on my math... I couldn't take my shoes off when I posted that because I was driving.

An ICE.

:D

pickled egg likes this.
  10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Picked up the model y duel motor, it’s a rough riding bitch, pulled up the service menu, I sure the tire pressures in the mid 40’s don’t help the ride, I guess it a range thing. It felt slower than I anticipated, still quick but not what I was expecting.Went to the pedals & steering menu, acceleration was set for “Chill “ changed to standard. Acceleration was now officially off the chain, after a few minutes I switched it back, it’s mid forty’s up here, wet, dark and gloomy.

Picked up at PIT @ 82%, drove to Ohio, down Rt 7 well south, back to outside Wheeling for mom’s 89th birthday. Back close to the PA border for a supercharger charge , 8 stations, 3 occupied, no waiting. Charged to 99% from 43%, $15.58

I definitely will never but a model Y, but damn, that acceleration…:bow:

11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Anyone with $100 could preorder a cyber truck. When announced 5 years ago it was gonna be like 45k. Its entry level model is 65k after all the deductions. 2 million people my ass. It’s late as fuck, it’s almost double the announced price and its range will be laughable, and being released in an environment of high interest rates and people tightening their belts.

tony 340, auminer and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. Tristan

I woulda got the dual motor... the duel setup slows you down since they're always fighting each other

YamahaRick, 27 and Boman Forklift like this.
  13. auminer

Elon say go f*ck yerself.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

14. auminer

Are you covering for @dsapsis ' vacation or something? :Poke:

15. Tristan

I am but a pale comparison to that level of grammar Nazism, I just whack 'em when they're teed up so nicely.

16. Tristan

He'll likely be along soon to point out that Nazism isn't a word

17. Tristan

@dsapsis you're up- I'm heading to the wife's xmas work party. Need to maximize the bourbon consumption on OSU's dime.

vfrket likes this.
  18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

It is the dual motor, it has plenty of storage (over the model 3) The rear window size (as observed from the rear view mirror) is unbelievably small.

Ride sucks, rattling somewhere back there sucks, overall feel sucks, but damn, that sucker is quick so I love it, in short rental doses.

19. auminer

Your wife works for Oklahoma State?

o_O

Go Wolverines!

:D

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

After someone used "rime" for rhyme I decided to toss in the towel. :beer: