1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 Build/Hp information

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yamaha Fan, Jan 28, 2023.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I raced against you a few of those gnf's.I crashed outta 4th place to avoid running over another rider at the top of turn 2.
    Didn't you have those ram air tunes like on the zx7?
    Edit I think it was Bair that fell out in front of me?

2. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We sold it, can't remember who to, as we were building him a 400RR 3TJ, that later went to Josh @Kurlon here....

3. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Yes, I built a sealed airbox and fed it through two ducts I made in the nose of the fairing, with flexible hose just like the ZX7. Sealing it around the carbs was a bit of a PITA but the power difference above 100 mph or so was noticeable. I don't recall Rick falling down at the GNF but its possible.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I still miss that bike... hoping to see it on the track locally this year in vintage though last I heard for some reason they couldn't get spark out of it.

5. Michael Hausknecht

I raced with AHRMA last year. There are several FZR400s that race regularly. They still sound great.

6. SpeedWerks Racing

And @fzrkidd should be curb-stomping Mfer's w/dis old whip... FZRkidd.JPG

fzrkidd and Mblashfield like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This bike has AHRMA, CCS, and WERA stickers on it? Holy shit it will never pass tech with one of those 3. Lol

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Brian was wrapped up in protests at every event he raced at.

9. Michael Hausknecht

I raced against Brian for 3-4 years and never had any issues with him or his bikes; but then I don't recall that he ever beat me...... so there is that. The "funny thing" about those TZ engine cases is that Brian got them from John Ulrich, and it was Ulrich to whom the tech officials at the GNF deferred when they asked him about their legality. Rick appealed the rejection of his protest at the GNF and, on appeal, his protest was upheld.

10. SpeedWerks Racing

The TZR 3XV case's are identical to TZ, sans the kick starter hole, it's the TZ cylinders/heads/carbs and pipes where the magic happens...

11. Michael Hausknecht

Yep! That was Ulrich's contention; that there was no performance advantage and I don't doubt he was correct. I wouldn't have protested the cases but Rick was, and is, a good friend so I supported him. I'd already sold my 400 to Paul and gotten a TZ, so it was all the same to me.

12. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

Do you have any pics of your old bike?

13. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Would've been 98 as I won 97 after a certain "864" Ducati showed up and opened whatever gap he wanted out of t5. I was pissed and didn't want to be that guy, but I had to know. They refused a teardown, citing no parts to make Daytona as it would require parts they didn't carry around.(at most a head gasket and and hour maybe to pull the horizontal head to measure.) The funny part was, after the fact, watching the video my mom shot from the t1 stands with the crew of said bike discussing the work they needed to do before Daytona and that they would just run the 900 in the endurance. Years later I worked with a guy with long ties to Ducati club racing. I brought up said protest one day while talking about the old 400 days and his eyes got big and said "Dude! That was you? You had every right to protest that one!" Made me feel better about being "that guy.":D

Michael Hausknecht and ToofPic like this.
  14. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

I promise it will get some proper stickers!

15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Charles at HFD1 had it the last time I checked

ToofPic likes this.
  16. Michael Hausknecht

I have some on-track photos but that is all. We're talking pre-cell phones with camera days here. Is there something you want to know?

17. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

sent you a pm.

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I know were there is a garage full of 400s but none of them are for sale. Steve knows where

19. SpeedWerks Racing

upload_2023-12-13_12-38-29.png

notbostrom likes this.