1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name that bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

TS350, or T350? I don't know that Suzuki made a TS as a 350. 100, 125, 185, 250 and 400.

2. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Yep, I added the s when it was only a T. I had the ugly orange one...:D

I did have a blue TS125 though...

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I remember the turbos from that time frame well. The Honda was super slow, the Yamaha 650 turbo was bad and a dog, the Suzuki wasn't even in the mix, and the Kaw was the best. But none of them could smoke a 1000 regular aspirated bike even though they said they would

4. backbone

backbone scarred for life

5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I got to test drive the first GPZ 750 turbo at On Any Sunday in Illinois. Of course I wrung its neck, and returned it with a funny noise in the engine. Needless to say they never let me test ride a bike again. I was actually impressed with the Kaw turbo, although it's kind of like two strokes in that respect. My superbiked RZ350 felt super fast, until I rode it up against something that actually was. Still fun.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I rode a friends 750 turbo, w/ the waste gate wired shut, though a subdivision at night, 1987.... Got my attention so much, that I still remember it to this day. Brakes and handling was overwhelmed by the acceleration. Was fun, but scary, and fun :)
    That bike died in a roadrace, i was getting ready to lap him (on my 600 hurricane), when a superfast (long time racer & locally respected/super-fast) guy on a gsx-7/11 came by me and (purposely) clipped/elbowed him, they tangled handlebars. One of the handlebars got locked into the other guys frame....... 2 bikes Tied/Locked together, gator rolling down the track, right in front of me.... looked like a cartoon fight, lol. Both bikes completely totaled, both frames destroyed.
    Brutal but True.

Cartoon-Fight-Scene-Graphics-28934681-580x363.jpg

Razr likes this.
  7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I took my WERA roadrace school/license in 1987, on a friend's silver 81 cb750F. I was the fastes guy in the school, that day. The bike/mass got lighter every single corner I completed, hahaha! Was a good/cool solid bike.

borislav and rd400racer like this.
  8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

A lightly used 82
    Seca Turbo was my first motorcycle. Still have it. They are heavy pigs. 550 lbs., that i occasionally had to lift back up, using my 130 lb wet body. Lol.

Not quick, and only so-so fast for their day. (125-130 mph). It did make a good highway bike.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

October 1985, I stopped at Blockers Harley Davidson (and Yamaha) in Lehighton, PA. They were having a "dollar a cc sale" when I looked at a left over '85 FJ1100. They let me take it for a test drive and my impression was it was like riding a milk stool at 120 mph....I was riding a V45 Sabre at the time so it was big difference. What a deal! Still have the bike though after many modifications it has become my sport tourer. All it really needed was 17" wheels, blue spot brakes, a jet kit, corbin seat, and on and on .....:p I recall motorcyclist calling it the velvet sledgehammer. :eek:

YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.
  10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

In my old age, I've been adding bikes to the collection while there's still time to ride. An FJ1100 used to be on the list, but I'm getting so sick of cleaning carbs, that I think it's only going to be FI bikes from now on. I've got a first Gen FZ1, and all the little hoses on the carbs had gone bad. Almost $600 in carb parts!

11. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

This right here. A brief FZR400 fetish cured me of wanting any vintage bike enough to buy any more. I mean...... unless I stumble into a red/white CB1100F.

12. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of a red and white FJ1200... even though I've never owned one, much less ridden one. When I went to Lackland AFB for basic training (the first time), the TI from our sister flight had one that he parked close to the wall under the overhang where we'd always form up prior to any activity. Somehow or another, I always managed to keep one eye on that bike no matter what else was going on. That bike made it much easier for me to brush off some of the mental gymnastics that were a part of BMT at the time - I just kept telling myself that I'm going to get one of those when I get out of here! Unfortunately, I never did get an FJ. A couple years down the road, I found a red and white '83 Honda 1100F that saw me through a ton of great times! I sure wish I still had it.

13. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yep...that one was on my list too. Almost bought one back when they came out, but got an '83 GPz1100 instead. That got wadded up, and then the racing sickness started, so never had the money.
    upload_2023-11-21_11-34-39.jpeg

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, my first bike (other than various little minibikes and "dirt bikes") was a new Honda 500 Interceptor. My first real trip "out of town" was a ride up to NC to ride in the mountains. Went with my Dad and a number of Fireman, Police and Deputies. Among the bikes on the trip were a Suzuki GS1100E, original style 900 Ninja and an FJ1100 as shown in the thread.

They were all great bikes. I ended up owning that GS1100. Still can't figure out how the original owner rode it so fast. I never really felt comfortable with it in the corners. Would like to have it back now, though (and the FJ and my old Interceptor!).

15. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Here is your chance, beautiful bike!
    Screenshot_20231121_133157_Chrome.jpg

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yep...beautiful, and I'm sure someone will pay that much for it, but not me. Was looking at a real clean '83 Gpz1100 on Cycle Trader, but they wanted $12k for it. I've set an artificial $5k limit on new additions to the fleet, and there are a lot of cool bikes in that range.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

sweet mother of god. that makes my dienda moist.

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

FJ1100/1200 was referred to as a 100mph couch, amongst my friends. I bought one at auction for a friend of mine.

The Johnston's Northridge Racing team, along with the early Solmax Racing guys hustled them around the track pretty quickly.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Just found an '85 FJ1100 for $1000 on CT. Says it runs, but needs carbs rebuilt (big surprise). Looks awfully clean for that little money. Anybody want to run a bike from Oregon to WI?

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes